CDZ 50 years since Loving v Virginia

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Its quite sobering for me to realise that this happened in my lifetime and not in victorian times. We tend to look at South Africa as an example of Apartheid but parts of the US needed to be dragged into civilisation.

It took Alabama till 2000 to remove the laws from its statutes.

And now its such a normal event people scratch their heads and wonder what all the fuss was about.

Did the world fall apart ?

No.

I wonder if,in 50 years time, our kids will look back at the gay marriage struggle and wonder what we were thinking. Will our generation be judged as backward bigots because of the actions of the few ?

I hope that we arent all judged harshly.

It is most hypocritical of any Limey calling the US uncivilized. The UK committed mass murder on a huge scale, to impose it's will around the world.

Its quite sobering for me to realise that this happened in my lifetime and not in victorian times. We tend to look at South Africa as an example of Apartheid but parts of the US needed to be dragged into civilisation.

And now its such a normal event people scratch their heads and wonder what all the fuss was about.

No.

I wonder if,in 50 years time, our kids will look back at the gay marriage struggle and wonder what we were thinking. Will our generation be judged as backward bigots because of the actions of the few ?

What actually happened is that in Tommy's lifetime the laws against interracial marriage have been changed.

"The Supreme Court announced its ruling in Loving v. Virginia on June 12, 1967. In a unanimous decision, the justices found that Virginia’s interracial marriage law violated the 14th Amendment to the Constitution.

“Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual, and cannot be infringed by the state,” Chief Justice Earl Warren wrote.

The landmark ruling not only overturned the Lovings’ 1958 criminal conviction, it also struck down laws against interracial marriage in 16 U.S. states including Virginia."

Loving V. Virginia - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com

You know, I kinda look at this the way Jesus did. He said to all of us, "love God above all else, and love one another like you love God".

Neither gender nor race was specified. Just told to love each other.

There was a bit of a divide along party lines on the subject, with 28 percent of Republicans and just 12 percent of Democrats replying that interracial marriage was morally wrong.​

Nearly 20 percent of American think interracial marriage is “morally wrong,” poll finds

And of those 28%, I'd bet that the vast majority were Trump supporters from the get-go.

Wow, thats current. I am shocked, really shocked.

No wonder our gay friends face such discrimination when mixed race couples are still frowned on.

I suppose its the way they were raised ?

You know, I kinda look at this the way Jesus did. He said to all of us, "love God above all else, and love one another like you love God".

Was this Jesus some kind of liberal ?

There was a bit of a divide along party lines on the subject, with 28 percent of Republicans and just 12 percent of Democrats replying that interracial marriage was morally wrong.​

Nearly 20 percent of American think interracial marriage is “morally wrong,” poll finds

And of those 28%, I'd bet that the vast majority were Trump supporters from the get-go.

Wow, thats current. I am shocked, really shocked.

No wonder our gay friends face such discrimination when mixed race couples are still frowned on.

I suppose its the way they were raised ?

Upbringing has a lot to do with it. I was stationed with a YN2 who was married to a black woman in the mid 90's, and he caught a lot of crap when he walked down the street in Jacksonville FL with his wife holding hands.

Hard to believe that people can still be so stupid and bigoted.

At some point we need to stop worrying about who other people are marrying. Unless Tommy wants to tell us how he married outside of his race....

Actually, yes. He was a long haired hippy who ran around in robes and sandals.

He also spoke against greed, hatred and bigotry.

Nasty rumours that he treated sick people who didnt have insurance. Say it aint so ?

No.

Your comments in the past tense may be premature.

There is a bigot and racist in the WH just one Supreme Court appointment away from overturning more than 100 years of 14th Amendment jurisprudence.

Should that happen – and it likely will – the states will once again be allowed to enact or enforce laws and measures prohibiting same-sex couples from marrying, that force women to give birth against their will, and even allow the states to prohibit interracial marriage.

That wouldn’t be the case in all the states, of course, but a significant number would do exactly that, such as Alabama.

Nasty rumours that he treated sick people who didnt have insurance. Say it aint so ?

Not only did He treat sick people (for free no less!), but He also hung around with prostitutes and tax collectors, as well as didn't have a job, but preferred to let the women who hung around with Him and His disciples provide the funding for His ministry.

There is still a lot of work to be done to end racism.
Abolish all race based rules, regulations, funding, laws, organizations and policies...... races based college admissions, race based hiring, race based promotions, race based student organizations, race based scholarships, race based employee associations, race based political organizations.......

No.

There is a bigot and racist in the WH just one Supreme Court appointment away from overturning more than 100 years of 14th Amendment jurisprudence.

Should that happen – and it likely will – the states will once again be allowed to enact or enforce laws and measures prohibiting same-sex couples from marrying, that force women to give birth against their will, and even allow the states to prohibit interracial marriage.

That wouldn’t be the case in all the states, of course, but a significant number would do exactly that, such as Alabama.

Race based hiring and promotions discriminates against millions of more people.
It's an obvious 14th Amendment violation.

Not only did He treat sick people (for free no less!), but He also hung around with prostitutes and tax collectors, as well as didn't have a job, but preferred to let the women who hung around with Him and His disciples provide the funding for His ministry.
If he was alive today would he need a Lear Jet ?

If he was alive today would he need a Lear Jet ?

Actually, I don't think so. If He needed to get somewhere, I'm sure that others would be willing to foot the bill for His travel.

No.

Actually Obama was the racist bigot in the White House. He hosted the Muslim Brotherhood in the WH who have sworn to commit genocide against Israel. He hosted the La Raza in the WH who's founder says that Anglos should be murdered. He volunteered to work for Louis Farakahn. He went to Rev. Wright's racist church for 20 years. His "Iran Deal" is helping the genocidal maniac Iranians reach their dark side of humanity goals.

No.

We dont have to look too far back to see a so called "civilised" society break down into barbarism. The Balkans should have been a wake up call but if anything things are worse now.
I suppose the real message to all of that is for decent folk to vote. We are the majority after all.

Forum List

Back