23 Vintage Ads That Would Be Banned Today

I sent the link a friend who teaches American Culture and Civilization.

Many original versions of Loony Tunes cartoons (Bugs Bunny et al.) are censored and edited today because they featured racist stereotypes and adult themes (like suicide and blowing your brains out with a gun.) Others, like The Flintstones were used to sell cigarettes. What people forget is that when these first appeared they were targetted at adults, not children. Probably quite a few narcotics ads from the 50s that'd make us do a double-take if they were used today.

Ads aren't banned today. They are dropped because of fear of offending potential buyers. Many ads of 50 years ago would be offensive today. Advertising is about selling products and you don't do that offending buyers.

Ban ads all the time for racy content. One of the condoms commercials was effectively banned for being too sexy. Some 'too sexy' fast food commercials only recently too. They may not have gotten banned in a legal way, but because someone complains threatening a company with a boycott they're not being aired. Happens with tv shows too like "Married With Children" because one rich bitch whined.

Ban ads all the time for racy content. One of the condoms commercials was effectively banned for being too sexy. Some 'too sexy' fast food commercials only recently too. They may not have gotten banned in a legal way, but because someone complains threatening a company with a boycott they're not being aired. Happens with tv shows too like "Married With Children" because one rich bitch whined.
True some ads believed to be offensive are pulled by networks and publishers but most are pulled by the advertisers during copy testing. Advertiser don't wants to offend their audience.

I haven't looked at all the link yet but I've been collecting old ads for years. What amazes me is how many depict men hitting women.

Nowadays, its the geico pig and this one that has the rw's up in arms.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ4lnyHtBX8]kmart christmas commercial 2013 - Show Your Joe Boxer - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back