Zone1 Why not just amend the National Firearms Act to include ARs and AKs?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I wonder if it's possible to have a real discussion on so called "assault weapons" without it devolving into hysterics. Let's see. I propose that if the Democrats really wanted to ban ARs and AKs they could do it simply by amending the already existing National FireArms Act of 1934. It has already been amended twice so why not just stop with the angry speeches and amend this law to do it? It is clearly related to the new class of weapons so named "assault weapons". I believe the Democrats don't really want to do anything, they get more political mileage out of posturing and speech making on "Gun Control". What say you?

Congress can't agree on what to name a fuckin' walking trail in a National Park so good luck with that.

At least the SCOTUS just taking up "chevron" will make congress do their fucking job if it's struck down instead of unelected bureaucrats making up their own interpretations of laws that carry the full weight of the law.

If struck down (even a narrow ruling) anything that was added under interpretation will be void be it the ATF, EPA, etc.

One leftist Justice (Jackson) has already recused herself.

I wonder if it's possible to have a real discussion on so called "assault weapons" without it devolving into hysterics. Let's see. I propose that if the Democrats really wanted to ban ARs and AKs they could do it simply by amending the already existing National FireArms Act of 1934. It has already been amended twice so why not just stop with the angry speeches and amend this law to do it? It is clearly related to the new class of weapons so named "assault weapons". I believe the Democrats don't really want to do anything, they get more political mileage out of posturing and speech making on "Gun Control". What say you?

If they did that, it would open the whole act up for being overturned by SCOTUS when the inevitable lawsuits make it that far.

If they did that, it would open the whole act up for being overturned by SCOTUS when the inevitable lawsuits make it that far.

That is what I was thinking. The Federal Firearms Act could be overturned if it were expanded to include simple semi-auto rifles.

I'm not sure about that since it's been around for 90 years and was already amended twice. My point is, if the Democrats really wanted to "get something done" about ARs and such, the NFA would seem to be the logical vehicle to make that happen.

Sorry, but we live in a democracy so it is unlikely to happen. A ban on these weapons is far more likely. Only 23 percent of all voters oppose an assault weapons ban, a poll found. Including a majority of Republicans.

I amazes me how people can be so in their bubble they have no clue what the average American thinks.

Sorry, but we live in a democracy so it is unlikely to happen. A ban on these weapons is far more likely. Only 23 percent of all voters oppose an assault weapons ban, a poll found. Including a majority of Republicans.

I amazes me how people can be so in their bubble they have no clue what the average American thinks.
Sorry but we live in a democracy? :confused-84: You mean like how they amended the NFA twice per democratic processes? Do you understand the premise of the discussion?

Would you outlaw this?

all the ar and ak sold in the states are is semi auto rifles same as every other semi auto rifle. they cant ban them and they cant change the act because it would invalidate the entire thing.
The NFA already restricts the sale of "machine guns, short barreled shotguns and silencers" so it is already covers multiple weapon types. It is not a stretch to add semi-autos to the NFA. I don't follow you that it would invalidate the entire law.

Again I AM NOT ADVOCATING FOR THIS, I am saying if the Democrats want so desperately to restrict ARs and AKs why wouldn't they start with the NFA?

The NFA already restricts the sale of "machine guns, short barreled shotguns and silencers" so it is already covers multiple weapon types. It is not a stretch to add semi-autos to the NFA. I don't follow you that it would invalidate the entire law.

Again I AM NOT ADVOCATING FOR THIS, I am saying if the Democrats want so desperately to restrict ARs and AKs why wouldn't they start with the NFA?
All semi automatics?

I'm not sure about that since it's been around for 90 years and was already amended twice. My point is, if the Democrats really wanted to "get something done" about ARs and such, the NFA would seem to be the logical vehicle to make that happen.
An AR is nothing but a commonplace semiautomatic rifle no different than any other semiautomatic rifle that has been available to civilians for over 100 years now.

Why not take all firearm laws and bills against the Second Amendment make them null and void, take all elected officals that sponcered a bill or supported a law against the Second Amendment and have them made to stand trial in a peoples court for violation of their oath following the Constitution?

semi autos would get pistols, hunting rifles, shotguns etc

Forum List

Back