Zone1 Why not just amend the National Firearms Act to include ARs and AKs?

You're the one claiming ar 15 that police have are automatics you said all of them
Class dismissed.
no I said swat or Military, you inserted all XXXXXXXXX, our police have auto's that switch from auto to semi auto

***Mod Edit: Zone 1 Rules are in effect in this area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Voting for your represenative in your republic is democracy only as far as that election goes.
The people have no direct say in legislation or policy, and thus, its not a democracy.
A democracy is a type of government in which the power to make change lies in the hands of the people. It is in contrast to autocracy (one person), aristocracy (the elite), or theocracy (the church). We are definitely a democracy, and always have been.

What you're describing is a direct democracy, like Athens had 2500 years ago, where every citizen votes for every issue. We have never had that; it would be far too cumbersome.

We are a representative democracy, because we vote for the people who vote for the issues. The term is functionally synonymous with republic, in which the powers of government are split up among many people.

A republic is a type of democracy. We are both.

A democracy is a type of government in which the power to make change lies in the hands of the people.
I guess that depends on what you mean by change, then.
The people cannot change the laws. They cannot change the constitution.
They can change their representatives, but that does not mean the laws will change - especially not as the people would have them.
So... not a democracy.

I guess that depends on what you mean by change, then.
The people cannot change the laws. They cannot change the constitution.
They can change their representatives, but that does not mean the laws will change - especially not as the people would have them.
So... not a democracy.
You're still arguing for a direct democracy. The members of Congress who have the power to change the laws only have that power because the people (demos) gave it to them.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't care very much — you can call it an eggplant as long as we both know what you mean — but there are bad actors out there who use this exact argument to muddy the waters, so it becomes easier for them to undermine our democratic ideals. Can't undermine democracy if we're not a democracy, right? It's a big, growing, and very real problem.

Forum List

Back