Why Is It Still OK To 'Trash' Poor White People?

Food for thought....

When poor (or formerly poor) white folks do get portrayed in the media and pop culture, they're often reduced to a series of offensive stereotypes: that they're angry, lazy, dirty, overweight, sunburned, stupid, racist, alcoholic, abusive, jobless, tacky, diseased, violent, backwards, Bible-thumping and uneducated. Those stereotypes get reinforced over and over again on TV and in movies, as anyone who watched Here Comes Honey Boo Boo or Duck Dynasty will tell you.

other slurs, there has been some reclamation of "white trash" — songs and cookbooks and T-shirts that celebrate white-trash culture. And plenty of people unabashedly refer to themselves as white trash.

But no matter who uses it, the phrase itself reinforces some pretty insidious ideas about the meaning of whiteness (and, by reflection, blackness — we'll get to that in a minute). By accepting the idea that white trash exists, people are tacitly accepting that there is another, different kind of whiteness. Normal white people — the ones who aren't white trash — embody all the things white trash can't: They're hardworking, educated, classy, kind and good.

Anyone who doesn't conform to those values can't ever really be fully white. Hence, white trash.

"The problem with the white trash reference is often ... it becomes an easy way to dismiss a group and to generalize," Isenberg says.

We're white ... We don't care.

If you mislabel someone as white trash ... Well, most of us don't care.
If you properly label someone as white trash ... Most of us agree, and still don't care.

If you're white ... You can try blaming someone else ... But it's not going to work.

The concept of bridges can mean working closely with neighboring countries to enforce good border control
That’s what President Trump has been doing. He keeps asking Mexico to share in the cost of the wall. A wall is the “ultimate” in border control. It’s not the end all, be all, but it is more singularly more effective than anything else.

;)
I don't use the the term "trailer trash" because people living in this form of housing may be poor and this is the most form of housing they can afford. However, the term "white trash" implies that the person clearly identifies with being "white," and has racist and hoodlum tendencies. trump and pence are white, are rich, and they clearly have racist and hoodlum tendencies; thus they qualify as as "white trash."

I've had the pleasure of meeting VP Pence, he's in no way "white trash"

In fact I met him at a homeless shelter during a deep freeze that paralyzed the city and he and his wife showed up to help feed at meal time.

This doesn't change the fact that this little whore has spent his career trying to screw over women and LGBTs. So some woman thinks its okay for him to screw her. He's still white trash.

So says you...and I really don't care. Go bug someone else....I do find it odd someone who cares about women would use the word whore though, sounds like something white trash would say;)

I use the word "whore" to point out that that it should be applied to men as well as women, and that it is misogynistic to use it any other way. It is meant to signify the lowest of the low from the gutter. Go support your lover.

You're treading on thin ice here on personal attacks. Take that garbage to the FZ. Better yet I'll just put you in ignore with the rest of the low info no class trolls
When have I mentioned a personal attack on any other USMB member? You do seem to be in love with pence, a political figure, and you wrote it here for all to see. You bragged about it and bragged about meeting him. You two seem to be very attached.

Food for thought....

When poor (or formerly poor) white folks do get portrayed in the media and pop culture, they're often reduced to a series of offensive stereotypes: that they're angry, lazy, dirty, overweight, sunburned, stupid, racist, alcoholic, abusive, jobless, tacky, diseased, violent, backwards, Bible-thumping and uneducated. Those stereotypes get reinforced over and over again on TV and in movies, as anyone who watched Here Comes Honey Boo Boo or Duck Dynasty will tell you.

other slurs, there has been some reclamation of "white trash" — songs and cookbooks and T-shirts that celebrate white-trash culture. And plenty of people unabashedly refer to themselves as white trash.

But no matter who uses it, the phrase itself reinforces some pretty insidious ideas about the meaning of whiteness (and, by reflection, blackness — we'll get to that in a minute). By accepting the idea that white trash exists, people are tacitly accepting that there is another, different kind of whiteness. Normal white people — the ones who aren't white trash — embody all the things white trash can't: They're hardworking, educated, classy, kind and good.

Anyone who doesn't conform to those values can't ever really be fully white. Hence, white trash.

"The problem with the white trash reference is often ... it becomes an easy way to dismiss a group and to generalize," Isenberg says.
It's never okay to trash anyone because of their economic status.

Like Trump, I look for the best in everyone.

Is white trash an acceptable slur?
Why yes, evidently it is as you have yet to call them on it. Let’s therefore focus on libtard! What ya say?

I started a thread on it.

Let me know when you do. Case closed. :lol:
Yes but have you seen the libtards line up to use the term white trash? I bet that’s why you started the thread!
Not very many have. You seem to be the one who’s nose is out of joint. Feel free to start your own thread.
Why? Because My opinion is different than yours?

Food for thought....

Well -- it IS a general recruiting strategy for the Dems. Because all the folks YOU mentioned are those "red state red neck" mental midgets. Unfortunately, when it's politicized hate like that -- coming from the ignorance of not understanding any American culture outside of Taxi range --- you're often dissing your OWN constituents. Which I find amusing in a way -- but a stupid outreach program.

You might be overthinking the "normal white people" being/feeling superior thing. Because I don't know many instances where the bad phrase "white trash" is USED ---- where it's not a political weapon. Not used in church. Not used by Southern conservatives all that much unless as evil satire. So you need to look at WHO exactly is using it and why..

Look no further than the pages of USMB for the answer to those questions. :rolleyes:

The concept of bridges can mean working closely with neighboring countries to enforce good border control
That’s what President Trump has been doing. He keeps asking Mexico to share in the cost of the wall. A wall is the “ultimate” in border control. It’s not the end all, be all, but it is more singularly more effective than anything else.
Afaik he has never "asked Mexico to share". His just promised his base they would pay for it.

Facts, nothing else. I'm a white guy myself.
In the same way that Rachel Dolezal is white? :dunno:
What are you trying to say? I'm an average middle aged white guy.
That just because you are “white” doesn’t mean you don’t “identify” as black and hate whites. That’s the beauty of the left. You people allow yourselves to suspend all reality (and science) in favor of indulging in fantasy.

Facts, nothing else. I'm a white guy myself.
In the same way that Rachel Dolezal is white? :dunno:
What are you trying to say? I'm an average middle aged white guy.
That just because you are “white” doesn’t mean you don’t “identify” as black and hate whites. That’s the beauty of the left. You people allow yourselves to suspend all reality (and science) in favor of indulging in fantasy.
Lol, neither one of us have any idea what you are talking about.

You have to ask Republicans. They do it all the time.

It's called fuking over your base.

Coming from you, this is hilarious.

Food for thought....

It's never okay to trash anyone because of their economic status.

Like Trump, I look for the best in everyone.

Said the idiot who put this FAKE picture in his Avatar.

qVfyGBX.gif

Dkh-402XoAA_9mf.jpg

Food for thought....

People don’t trash poor who’re people. That is silly.

They trash bigots. And rightfully so.

And they trash ignorance and rightfully so.

Are you saying all poor who’re people are ignorant bigots?

Or are you saying angry whiny self-professsd white male victims deserve anything but our contempt?

Is Coyote actually starting to get it?

Seriously?

If you think I agree with racist views, the propagation of negative stereotypes and racial and cultural demographic fear mongering, you are completely off base.
So you hate the New York Times and the Democrats for openly hating white people while they whined about “white supremacy” and “racism” in the “Dukes of Hazard” reruns?

What is more racist? White trash? Or redneck?
Redneck also has positive connotations, folks can use it as an emblem of pride. Not so white trash. But both tend to be slurs.
Redneck/white trash are so used to being jeered at and ridiculed just because of their geography that they kind of embrace the terms that are thrown at them.

That's why we call ourselves deplorables, that's why we flaunt the redneck title. The fact of the matter is...letists despise and reject everything we value and honor...so any time they come up with a new name for us that is meant to demean us for things we celebrate, we grab it.

I embraced nasty woman and tree hugger. But that was before Trump. And 47%.

But I find many rightists despise and demean the things I value and celebrate.
Such as..and who?
Environmental issues, protection on endangered species, religious and cultural tolerance (leftists aren’t to great on that either), diversity, bridges instead of walls, pro-family policies that are inclusive of all families, a good safety net, complete parity on mental health treatment, science based sexual education and free birth control, well you get the picture.
Mostly delusional or inconsequential nonsense.

Forum List

Back