Why Is It Still OK To 'Trash' Poor White People?

I said sometime back that I wanted to buy a mobile home and was called trailer trash. Until I told them I couldn't really afford to buy one anyway cuz the ones where I lived were not less than 125K. Then I was just called a twat. :lol:

Food for thought....

When poor (or formerly poor) white folks do get portrayed in the media and pop culture, they're often reduced to a series of offensive stereotypes: that they're angry, lazy, dirty, overweight, sunburned, stupid, racist, alcoholic, abusive, jobless, tacky, diseased, violent, backwards, Bible-thumping and uneducated. Those stereotypes get reinforced over and over again on TV and in movies, as anyone who watched Here Comes Honey Boo Boo or Duck Dynasty will tell you.

other slurs, there has been some reclamation of "white trash" — songs and cookbooks and T-shirts that celebrate white-trash culture. And plenty of people unabashedly refer to themselves as white trash.

But no matter who uses it, the phrase itself reinforces some pretty insidious ideas about the meaning of whiteness (and, by reflection, blackness — we'll get to that in a minute). By accepting the idea that white trash exists, people are tacitly accepting that there is another, different kind of whiteness. Normal white people — the ones who aren't white trash — embody all the things white trash can't: They're hardworking, educated, classy, kind and good.

Anyone who doesn't conform to those values can't ever really be fully white. Hence, white trash.

"The problem with the white trash reference is often ... it becomes an easy way to dismiss a group and to generalize," Isenberg says.
People don’t trash poor who’re people. That is silly.

They trash bigots. And rightfully so.

And they trash ignorance and rightfully so.

Are you saying all poor who’re people are ignorant bigots?

Or are you saying angry whiny self-professsd white male victims deserve anything but our contempt?

Bull crap. This is how the progressives feel about everyday Americans.

"America is held hostage by flyover states

Anyone who questions the narrow vision of Middle America Christian values, being forced on 325 million people of multiple cultures, religions, no religion, and a mosaic of ethnicities, is deemed ungodly and un-American.

It’s clear cultural fascism."

America is held hostage by flyover states

What is more racist? White trash? Or redneck?
Redneck also has positive connotations, folks can use it as an emblem of pride. Not so white trash. But both tend to be slurs.
Redneck/white trash are so used to being jeered at and ridiculed just because of their geography that they kind of embrace the terms that are thrown at them.

That's why we call ourselves deplorables, that's why we flaunt the redneck title. The fact of the matter is...letists despise and reject everything we value and honor...so any time they come up with a new name for us that is meant to demean us for things we celebrate, we grab it.

I embraced nasty woman and tree hugger. But that was before Trump. And 47%.

But I find many rightists despise and demean the things I value and celebrate.
Such as..and who?
Environmental issues, protection on endangered species, religious and cultural tolerance (leftists aren’t to great on that either), diversity, bridges instead of walls, pro-family policies that are inclusive of all families, a good safety net, complete parity on mental health treatment, science based sexual education and free birth control, well you get the picture.

Endangered species?
Sure, but why not endangered races?

Arguably Siberian Tigers, and Bengal Tigers both threatened, are not much different than the difference between a White person, and a Black person.

Keep in mind Siberian Tigers, and Bengal Tigers split 10,000 or so years ago.

Keep in mind White people, and Black people have split perhaps perhaps 60,000 years.

Why is the "Race" of Tigers a valid concept worth preserving, but the "Race" of Humans is not a valid concept worth preserving?

I'm calling BS on that.

Last edited:
I imagine they have a right to live in a cage if they are determined to stay uncontaminated and pure.

What is interesting in the article is it attacks the assumption that wealthy, urban, educated, “classy” white people cant be racist but poor, rural, southern white people must be.

Anyone can be racist, someone once asked me if people are born racist, I think it's learned somehow. On here I'm constantly called a racist but I don't judge on skin color, I judge on integrity and character

If I were racist I wouldn't work with our Outreach and I'd struggle with dealing with associates of my husband. Just last weekend we entertained a new associate and his wife, both black and we had a very good time. His future is promising

Anyone can be racist but anyone did not enforce their racism in this nation by making laws but one race.
That is true.

But that does not excuse racism

What it doesn't excuse is how whites have created and manipulated laws to give themslves advantages and privileges others have been unable to get in the same full measure..

It doesn’t excuse racism of any kind. Or do you think some types are excusable?

It doesn't make everything all the same either. And that's what it seems you are doing. Things have not been the same for all races. We are the ones who have continually been bullied by white racism. Whites have not faced nothing of the sort, yet whites want to redefine racism now. Whites seem to think we have no right to be angry or react to what whites keep doing or we have no right to air our grievance about what has been done to us that remains unfixed. Unless we say it in a manner tha whites want to hear, meaning we blame ourselves and just ignore everything else. If or when we don't meet those expectations, then we get the false equivalence about all races can be racists when all races have not endured the racism whites have put on non whites.

Redneck also has positive connotations, folks can use it as an emblem of pride. Not so white trash. But both tend to be slurs.
Redneck/white trash are so used to being jeered at and ridiculed just because of their geography that they kind of embrace the terms that are thrown at them.

That's why we call ourselves deplorables, that's why we flaunt the redneck title. The fact of the matter is...letists despise and reject everything we value and honor...so any time they come up with a new name for us that is meant to demean us for things we celebrate, we grab it.

Racism is what's being rejected. So if you celebrate that, you've got problems.

But here is a broad label....generalizing an entire group of people as racist bases on skin color and economic status. How is that different then generalizing an entire group of people as thugs based on skin color and abused crime stats?

Anyone can be racist, someone once asked me if people are born racist, I think it's learned somehow. On here I'm constantly called a racist but I don't judge on skin color, I judge on integrity and character

If I were racist I wouldn't work with our Outreach and I'd struggle with dealing with associates of my husband. Just last weekend we entertained a new associate and his wife, both black and we had a very good time. His future is promising

Anyone can be racist but anyone did not enforce their racism in this nation by making laws but one race.
That is true.

What it doesn't excuse is how whites have created and manipulated laws to give themslves advantages and privileges others have been unable to get in the same full measure..

It doesn't make everything all the same either. And that's what it seems you are doing. Things have not been the same for all races. We are the ones who have continually been bullied by white racism. Whites have not faced nothing of the sort, yet whites want to redefine racism now. Whites seem to think we have no right to be angry or react to what whites keep doing or we have no right to air our grievance about what has been done to us that remains unfixed. Unless we say it in a manner tha whites want to hear, meaning we blame ourselves and just ignore everything else. If or when we don't meet those expectations, then we get the false equivalence about all races can be racists when all races have not endured the racism whites have put on non whites.
Racism is not defined as only being perpetrated on black people. It is an attitude and all races can express that attitude. Because white people have had the historical power to legislate into law doesn't exempt black people from being racist.

Is it ok for black people to be racist?

Food for thought....

When poor (or formerly poor) white folks do get portrayed in the media and pop culture, they're often reduced to a series of offensive stereotypes: that they're angry, lazy, dirty, overweight, sunburned, stupid, racist, alcoholic, abusive, jobless, tacky, diseased, violent, backwards, Bible-thumping and uneducated. Those stereotypes get reinforced over and over again on TV and in movies, as anyone who watched Here Comes Honey Boo Boo or Duck Dynasty will tell you.

other slurs, there has been some reclamation of "white trash" — songs and cookbooks and T-shirts that celebrate white-trash culture. And plenty of people unabashedly refer to themselves as white trash.

But no matter who uses it, the phrase itself reinforces some pretty insidious ideas about the meaning of whiteness (and, by reflection, blackness — we'll get to that in a minute). By accepting the idea that white trash exists, people are tacitly accepting that there is another, different kind of whiteness. Normal white people — the ones who aren't white trash — embody all the things white trash can't: They're hardworking, educated, classy, kind and good.

Anyone who doesn't conform to those values can't ever really be fully white. Hence, white trash.

"The problem with the white trash reference is often ... it becomes an easy way to dismiss a group and to generalize," Isenberg says.
Thank the right wing for that. The poor, simply are not worth it.

Food for thought....

Yeah yeah yeah, the only answer the left ever has, blame the right wing.

Food for thought....

Yeah yeah yeah, the only answer the left ever has, blame the right wing.
we really just need a fifteen dollar an hour minimum wage, unemployment compensation for being unemployed on an at-will basis in our at-will employment States, and giga-recycling factories to help with social costs.

That is true.

:boohoo:

Food for thought....

I hate that term "white trash". You have to work very hard to be human trash, because I believe all people are made in the image of God. To be human trash, you have to purposely, repeatedly and consciously turn away from not only God, but everything good and give yourself over to evil. Over and over.

I guess I wouldn't have too much of an issue calling people who rape and kill children trash. But even that bothers me to some extent. I certainly wouldn't call people who, say, live in trailer parks and camp on the weekends "white trash".

BTW, that stereotype is international. Foreigners bristle if Muslims are looked down upon but have no compunction laughing at "white trash from Missouri" from halfway around the world.

There are white trash, black trash, red and yellow trash...there are also great people of all color who are great people.

I've been called white trash and trailer trash...back on another forum one old hag used it constantly...until I found out she lived in a double wide in West Virginia....oh boy was that a red letter day on that forum when I dropped the hammer LOL

What is interesting in the article is it attacks the assumption that wealthy, urban, educated, “classy” white people cant be racist but poor, rural, southern white people must be.

Ha. Scratch an urban white liberal and 9 times out of 10....

But here is a broad label....generalizing an entire group of people as racist bases on skin color and economic status. How is that different then generalizing an entire group of people as thugs based on skin color and abused crime stats?

Short version ... If your world view is consumed by race and racism ... That's all you are ever going to find ... :thup:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back