Why Is It Still OK To 'Trash' Poor White People?

Food for thought....

When poor (or formerly poor) white folks do get portrayed in the media and pop culture, they're often reduced to a series of offensive stereotypes: that they're angry, lazy, dirty, overweight, sunburned, stupid, racist, alcoholic, abusive, jobless, tacky, diseased, violent, backwards, Bible-thumping and uneducated. Those stereotypes get reinforced over and over again on TV and in movies, as anyone who watched Here Comes Honey Boo Boo or Duck Dynasty will tell you.

other slurs, there has been some reclamation of "white trash" — songs and cookbooks and T-shirts that celebrate white-trash culture. And plenty of people unabashedly refer to themselves as white trash.

But no matter who uses it, the phrase itself reinforces some pretty insidious ideas about the meaning of whiteness (and, by reflection, blackness — we'll get to that in a minute). By accepting the idea that white trash exists, people are tacitly accepting that there is another, different kind of whiteness. Normal white people — the ones who aren't white trash — embody all the things white trash can't: They're hardworking, educated, classy, kind and good.

Anyone who doesn't conform to those values can't ever really be fully white. Hence, white trash.

"The problem with the white trash reference is often ... it becomes an easy way to dismiss a group and to generalize," Isenberg says.

Just because they are poor, it doesn't mean they are trash. Same thing happens to black people.

Food for thought....

When poor (or formerly poor) white folks do get portrayed in the media and pop culture, they're often reduced to a series of offensive stereotypes: that they're angry, lazy, dirty, overweight, sunburned, stupid, racist, alcoholic, abusive, jobless, tacky, diseased, violent, backwards, Bible-thumping and uneducated. Those stereotypes get reinforced over and over again on TV and in movies, as anyone who watched Here Comes Honey Boo Boo or Duck Dynasty will tell you.

other slurs, there has been some reclamation of "white trash" — songs and cookbooks and T-shirts that celebrate white-trash culture. And plenty of people unabashedly refer to themselves as white trash.

But no matter who uses it, the phrase itself reinforces some pretty insidious ideas about the meaning of whiteness (and, by reflection, blackness — we'll get to that in a minute). By accepting the idea that white trash exists, people are tacitly accepting that there is another, different kind of whiteness. Normal white people — the ones who aren't white trash — embody all the things white trash can't: They're hardworking, educated, classy, kind and good.

Anyone who doesn't conform to those values can't ever really be fully white. Hence, white trash.

"The problem with the white trash reference is often ... it becomes an easy way to dismiss a group and to generalize," Isenberg says.

Just because they are poor, it doesn't mean they are trash. Same thing happens to black people.

A good example is Appalachia, some are dirt poor but good hearted God fearing people.

Food for thought....

It always amuses me when Rderp, Billy , Timmy and all the rest try to use it on here, yet for some reason they don't know what bass boats, ATVs , guns, ect...ect.. cost or they do and are upset that money instead should go to the government in taxes in their minds.

They can never understand freedom and individualism

I was a racist when I was younger

Then I got too many tickets.......

giphy.gif

From everything I've seen, it's always OK to trash White people regardless of their economic status. Have you ever seen anyone called out for hurling epithets at White people? I never have. But oh boy, say the 'N' word and your career is over.

Food for thought....

Because progressives think they're better than everybody else. And, because so many progressives are in the media, they get a free pass.
Isn’t that just as much a derogatory generalization as white trash?

From everything I've seen, it's always OK to trash White people regardless of their economic status. Have you ever seen anyone called out for hurling epithets at White people? I never have. But oh boy, say the 'N' word and your career is over.
Have you ever read tiggerred’s Posts?

I don’t think I have heard rich white people referred to as trash...or assigned such negative epitaphs.

Food for thought....

Because progressives think they're better than everybody else. And, because so many progressives are in the media, they get a free pass.
Isn’t that just as much a derogatory generalization as white trash?

Not when it is factual. Show me a single statement made by a progressive that isn't derogatory to the average working person. They despise "flyover country". They are not afraid to make that obvious, either.

I don’t think I have heard rich white people referred to as trash...or assigned such negative epitaphs.

Racist and other terms like it are hurled at whites of all classes these days.

Pretty negative.

Class can be deceiving, having moved from Putnam Lake, to Pawling rather recently, yes Pawling does have quite more poor, and quite more modest income White people, as well as also a bit more rich White people, and it's actually far nicer, a lot more clean, more beautiful, and respectful.

But, it's also a little further from NYC, where it's slightly cheaper, and it's got a lot less City people.

Last edited:
Food for thought....

Individual and group descriptors when verbalized embody a psychological value in the mind using or hearing them. Avoiding the effort of personalizing the individual by getting to know them also holds the value of a tool we can use to assign universal or generalized like or dislike to individual or group behavior. Personalizing judgment of an individual's behavior serves to humanize and accept them as real, living and breathing--or as having value we don't mind dealing with. Impersonal judgment by use of a generic insult or slur dehumanizes the individual while serving as a way to dismiss or not have to personally deal with them.

People tend to fear classification into any larger group identity because becoming part of a group makes us think that our individual personalities no longer hold value to other individuals. Stereotype, scapegoat and group membership are all trait array descriptors which remove individual, personal, humanized value. Sometimes "putting a face" on someone for who they are individually is much harder than simply assigning them to a group with dismissal by mass assignment to a slur. However, what we too often forget is the group, not the individual is more likely to do us physical harm. Something to keep in mind.

You have to ask Republicans. They do it all the time.

It's called fuking over your base.

There are white trash, black trash, red and yellow trash...there are also great people of all color who are great people.

I've been called white trash and trailer trash...back on another forum one old hag used it constantly...until I found out she lived in a double wide in West Virginia....oh boy was that a red letter day on that forum when I dropped the hammer LOL

What is interesting in the article is it attacks the assumption that wealthy, urban, educated, “classy” white people cant be racist but poor, rural, southern white people must be.

There's also a lot of poor urban Whites, I've seen the slums in Waterbury, CT where quite the number of Whites live in rather urban settings.
(Not sure if it's still as White, or what, but it had a lot of angry Whites back in the day)

I saw White kids in Waterbury, CT throw rocks at buildings while waiting for a concert, I had White kids in Waterbury, CT push me during the concert, I saw the Whites not say hello in return to us.

I also remember when I went to meet a girl at their mall, I saw a rusted up van, with kids passing around liquor around the van.

Food for thought....

Get real!! Those 2 examples and we are supposed to have sympathy? At least the Duck guys are laughing all the way to the bank.

Forum List

Back