Zone1 Why Does God Allow Us to Suffer?

My and I currently feel abandoned by God with some real life struggles and are currently feeling miserable about it.

We're both wondering if He loves us so much then why does it currently seem like He's ignoring our prayers and allowing us to suffer without getting any answers whether they be yes or no? Just some kind of acknowledgement at least that He's listening.
Thoughtfully consider these questions.

Who is the main character in your story?
Who is the main character in your fiancee's story?
If your life was on stage, who has the leading role as the star?

Now, what if neither of you are the main character or the star? Imagine it is not even your story. Think about being a supporting character in the story about someone else. Now what is your role and how do you play it?

When we see ourselves as the main character, the star of the show, we expect the easy resolution of all problems and the happily ever after.

Have you read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings? What if the story ended when Bilbo was lost in the tunnel of the Orcs? What if it ended when Gandalf died? Did your story end last night? Or, is it moving forward or has the potential to move on? Then your story is not over.

Let's return to whose story is it. Consider God for the role of main character. You and your fiancee are supporting characters. How does the story change?

Like the time He sent His only son to earth to be brutally tortured and murdered and the sinners got off scot free.
Do you mean the time God sent his only son to earth to redeem the world and to open the Way of Salvation? How many lives have been changed by this?

God sat on his ass when his favorite people were killed by Hitler. Figure it out.
I hope there is some sort of God.

But it is sure hard to believe that there is.

The unspeakable suffering in this world is beyond belief (diseases, injustices, accidents, wars, etc.).

The unspeakable suffering in this world is beyond belief (diseases, injustices, accidents, wars, etc.).
There is also
  • Health
  • Justice
  • Intentional assistance and good deeds
  • Peace with friends and family

You can believe in a God. Just not in a just and merciful one.

I would love to know the answer to this.
If the Father could have done it himself he would have. But he couldn't since he already has and immortal body of flesh and bones. At the time of the creation of this world, the Son was a spirit being without a body of flesh and bones. Only He was capable of performing the necessary sacrifice for the salvation of mankind. Now that Jesus, like his Father, also has an immortal body of flesh and bones, He would not be able to do it again. Because of Jesus' mother Mary, Jesus was able to receive a body that could die. But Jesus had the power to resurrect and overcome death since he was a sinless lamb without blemish and his Father was immortal.

Do you mean the time God sent his only son to earth to redeem the world and to open the Way of Salvation? How many lives have been changed by this?
By that myth?

Are we counting the people slaughtered by the crusaders? How about the children raped by Joseph Kony?

If the prayer is demanding God to do something, then it is pretty much a demand.

I guess I sort of was demanding to Him although I didn't mean to be.

Read your Bible and tell me who does not suffer?

Apparently not Job's wife LOL

That was the basis of Road Runner's complaint.

I can't argue with you there.

He works in strange and mysterious ways.

Like the time He sent His only son to earth to be brutally tortured and murdered and the sinners got off scot free.

It's obvious to me that you don't know a thing about Christianity. We are still supposed to strive to live up to God's standards but knows that isn't always possible since we're sinful human beings. So Jesus was born as a perfect sacrifice for our sins. If we accept the fact that He loved and still loves us unconditionally and died for us (and rose again three days later) then we have eternal life with Him in paradise. That doesn't give us a free pass to sin, but our salvation is secured and that's how we are guaranteed to go to Heaven.

Thoughtfully consider these questions.

Who is the main character in your story?
Who is the main character in your fiancee's story?
If your life was on stage, who has the leading role as the star?

Now, what if neither of you are the main character or the star? Imagine it is not even your story. Think about being a supporting character in the story about someone else. Now what is your role and how do you play it?

When we see ourselves as the main character, the star of the show, we expect the easy resolution of all problems and the happily ever after.

Have you read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings? What if the story ended when Bilbo was lost in the tunnel of the Orcs? What if it ended when Gandalf died? Did your story end last night? Or, is it moving forward or has the potential to move on? Then your story is not over.

Let's return to whose story is it. Consider God for the role of main character. You and your fiancee are supporting characters. How does the story change?

I haven't read those books but I've seen the movies and the problem is that although we try to tell ourselves that God is in control of our lives, our minds tend to spiral off and worry anyways. That's why I always try to keep control of my mind and not let it gain control of me since the mind is a very dangerous thing and can cause you to doubt and worry.

I also try to focus on the Lord and not what's bothering me. Plus having other distractions in my life helps to direct my mind off my problems too and actually clears it up too and makes me feel a whole lot happier this way. Sometimes it's clearer than others when my problems are still on the back of my mind, but as long as God is the first thing on it then I guess that's what makes things easier.

A clear happy mind is what I strive for because constantly beating myself up over things I can't control just causes me to stress out both mentally and physically and I wind up with a lot of knots in my stomach. That's not to say that I still don't have my moments where I struggle to keep it together, but it's something that I've been working on that I'm getting a whole lot better at. Why God does what He does and how He handles certain situations (or doesn't handle them as it often appears) I still have problems figuring out sometimes though.

God sat on his ass when his favorite people were killed by Hitler. Figure it out.
And he gave them Israel back immediately after.

I would not call that turning his back on them and Leftists like you can't stand it and want to return them into the ovens but somehow can't figure out how to return them there again.

:auiqs.jpg:

And he gave them Israel back immediately after.

I would not call that turning his back on them and Leftists like you can't stand it and want to return them into the ovens but somehow can't figure out how to return them there again.

:auiqs.jpg:
UN resolution 181 gave Jews a homeland, crackpot

I guess I sort of was demanding to Him although I didn't mean to be.

Apparently not Job's wife LOL

I can't argue with you there.

It's obvious to me that you don't know a thing about Christianity. We are still supposed to strive to live up to God's standards but knows that isn't always possible since we're sinful human beings. So Jesus was born as a perfect sacrifice for our sins. If we accept the fact that He loved and still loves us unconditionally and died for us (and rose again three days later) then we have eternal life with Him in paradise. That doesn't give us a free pass to sin, but our salvation is secured and that's how we are guaranteed to go to Heaven.

I haven't read those books but I've seen the movies and the problem is that although we try to tell ourselves that God is in control of our lives, our minds tend to spiral off and worry anyways. That's why I always try to keep control of my mind and not let it gain control of me since the mind is a very dangerous thing and can cause you to doubt and worry.

I also try to focus on the Lord and not what's bothering me. Plus having other distractions in my life helps to direct my mind off my problems too and actually clears it up too and makes me feel a whole lot happier this way. Sometimes it's clearer than others when my problems are still on the back of my mind, but as long as God is the first thing on it then I guess that's what makes things easier.

A clear happy mind is what I strive for because constantly beating myself up over things I can't control just causes me to stress out both mentally and physically and I wind up with a lot of knots in my stomach. That's not to say that I still don't have my moments where I struggle to keep it together, but it's something that I've been working on that I'm getting a whole lot better at. Why God does what He does and how He handles certain situations (or doesn't handle them as it often appears) I still have problems figuring out sometimes though.
I was in a particularly bad place. Everything was going wrong. Medical bills and my son's education was draining my finances to zip. Then my car started acting up. I barely made it to court. I prayed for a reliable car. Surely God could see how much I needed a car. I needed a miracle.

My car was wheezing on it's last tire track when I parked in front of my house. I heard a tremendous crash. Not my car please. Not the car. It was. Some meth head crashed into the car behind me. It was pushed into my car and my car pushed into the car in front of it. My poor little vehicle was an accordion. I asked God for a car. Now I had no car. When I told my boss what happened, I had no car and no job. All I did was pray!

I turned to the job hunt faxing my resume to every law firm in town. No takers. Nothing. Then I got a phone call. One of the attorneys I sent my resume to sent it on to a friend of his in Beverly Hills. They wanted an interview. I had to take the bus. Actually two busses. Why bother. It was too far. Without a car it would take twice as long to get to work. I went anyway. Take a flyer. Throw myself into the dark unknown.

I got the job which was supervising attorney over the personal injury department. It almost doubled my previous salary. My mind was buzzing on the bus ride home. Until I was able to save some money I was still out of wheels. When I got home, right in the mailbox, was the check from the insurance company for my totalled car. Who would have known that the old buggy was worth that much. It was a healthy down on a new car. With my salary increase the payments were a breeze.

Thank you Lord for the new car.
This is what happens sometimes when you pray. Things get worse.

I was in a particularly bad place. Everything was going wrong. Medical bills and my son's education was draining my finances to zip. Then my car started acting up. I barely made it to court. I prayed for a reliable car. Surely God could see how much I needed a car. I needed a miracle.

My car was wheezing on it's last tire track when I parked in front of my house. I heard a tremendous crash. Not my car please. Not the car. It was. Some meth head crashed into the car behind me. It was pushed into my car and my car pushed into the car in front of it. My poor little vehicle was an accordion. I asked God for a car. Now I had no car. When I told my boss what happened, I had no car and no job. All I did was pray!

I turned to the job hunt faxing my resume to every law firm in town. No takers. Nothing. Then I got a phone call. One of the attorneys I sent my resume to sent it on to a friend of his in Beverly Hills. They wanted an interview. I had to take the bus. Actually two busses. Why bother. It was too far. Without a car it would take twice as long to get to work. I went anyway. Take a flyer. Throw myself into the dark unknown.

I got the job which was supervising attorney over the personal injury department. It almost doubled my previous salary. My mind was buzzing on the bus ride home. Until I was able to save some money I was still out of wheels. When I got home, right in the mailbox, was the check from the insurance company for my totalled car. Who would have known that the old buggy was worth that much. It was a healthy down on a new car. With my salary increase the payments were a breeze.

Thank you Lord for the new car.
This is what happens sometimes when you pray. Things get worse.

I think that you mean that things get worse before they get better.

Forum List

Back