Zone1 Why Does God Allow Us to Suffer?

My fiancee and I currently feel abandoned by God with some real life struggles and are currently feeling miserable about it.

We're both wondering if He loves us so much then why does it currently seem like He's ignoring our prayers and allowing us to suffer without getting any answers whether they be yes or no? Just some kind of acknowledgement at least that He's listening.

I thought that Jesus was supposed to answer when you called on His name, but I called for Him until I was blue in the face last night and still nothing. 😞

I'm an atheist, so you know what I'd credit for the silence. But I'm sure a lot of believers here have given you the same sort of advice. Don't wait for the big man, just do what you've got to do to address your problems. Don't be proud or angry or belligerent... figure out what needs to be done and just do it. And that includes the sort of situations when there just doesn't seem to be anything you can do to help yourself. The answer there, of course, is to ask someone else. Feel free to ask god, but go ask social services, the bank, your minister, your friends and your family and anyone else that might be able to help. We all know that it can be very painful to admit mistakes, failures, wrong turns... but taking care of those you love is more important that taking care of our reputations. Swallow hard and take the plunge. I'm pretty sure there are more people out there willing to help than most of us think.

Fingers crossed (whatever that's supposed to do).

My fiancee and I currently feel abandoned by God with some real life struggles and are currently feeling miserable about it.

We're both wondering if He loves us so much then why does it currently seem like He's ignoring our prayers and allowing us to suffer without getting any answers whether they be yes or no? Just some kind of acknowledgement at least that He's listening.

I thought that Jesus was supposed to answer when you called on His name, but I called for Him until I was blue in the face last night and still nothing. 😞
I have seen it argued that the existence of unnecessary suffering - suffering of the innocent with no possibility of benefit - is very strong evidence that the Christian god, as characterized in scriptures, does not exist. The example provided was newborn infants suffering and dying from Harlequin Fetus Syndrome.

I have seen it argued that the existence of unnecessary suffering - suffering of the innocent with no possibility of benefit - is very strong evidence that the Christian god, as characterized in scriptures, does not exist. The example provided was newborn infants suffering and dying from Harlequin Fetus Syndrome.
So unless everything is perfect there can be no God?

Seems entirely capricious and arbitrary to me. What does any of that have to do with whether or not God exists? If you want to know the answer to that question, try asking yourself if you believe the universe popping into existence being hardwired to produce beings that know and create was intentional or accidental. Because our existence is so implausible I don't see how it can be an accident.

God is faithful to answer prayer. His answers are, yes, no, and when the time is right. The disciples and Paul were beset with problems. All but one were murdered. But God sustained them through their hardships.

When Job questioned God's decisions regarding him, God's response was,
"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand."

When Paul asked God to take away the thorn in his side, God's response was:
“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”

There was a lady in Chicago that pleaded with God to convict her gang member son. She died without an answer. She didn't realize that God indeed answered her prayer. When her son hit rock bottom, God lifted him up and changed his life. That took place after she had died.
He answered her prayer, when the time was right.
When the Jews were enslaved, when Paul was in jail, when Joseph was wrongly convicted and landed in prison, God had a plan for them.
Some times it is so hard to see that plan or understand a hardship, so just keep praising His name whether it is sunny or pouring down rain. His grace is sufficient. You are in good hands...

Forum List

Back