Zone1 Why Do We Still Call Black People African Americans?

B. Tatum's got a point. How many black people in America are from Africa because any more, it seems like most of them are born here.

Good point. As far as I am concerned, there are only Americans. You either are one or you're not. This hyphenated BS needs to stop. No other country has such a phenomenon. Ever hear of Spanish-Germans or French-Italians or Chinese-Egyptians? As for native Americans--any person born in America is a native American.

I'm still pissed they appropriated the name that white people invented for blacks. ;)

Huh?

Good point. As far as I am concerned, there are only Americans. You either are one or you're not. This hyphenated BS needs to stop. No other country has such a phenomenon. Ever hear of Spanish-Germans or French-Italians or Chinese-Egyptians? As for native Americans--any person born in America is a native American.

Exactly!

Tatum doesn't have a point. Why do you not have a problem with Irish Americanns, Italian Americans, German Americans etc, but always have to run your mouths about blacks?

Honestly, how often does anyone think of anyone else as a _________-American? Not once on any given day does the thought of another person's family's country of origin cross my mind. Nobody I know introduces themselves by tacking on the roots of their family tree. I can't say that I've ever been all that curious... unless maybe the had a accent, then I want to learn...

The term "African American" reflects the fact that those brought here as slaves from Africa were separated from family and lost knowledge of family origin, heritage language, religion, etc.

Last edited:
They're no more African than I'm Irish.

The other kittens all hated me because I was black & white ..

So I guilt tripped them and got fat..

There is of course a difference between ethnicity, heritage, and citizenship. Not all that complicated.

The term "African American" reflects the fact that those brought here as slaves from Africa were separated from family and lost knowledge of family origin, heritage language, religion, etc.
And the term “Irish American” reflects the fact that the Irish who were brought here as slaves from Ireland were separated from family origin etc.

🙄

Forum List

Back