Zone1 Why Do We Still Call Black People African Americans?

The term "African American" reflects the fact that those brought here as slaves from Africa were separated from family and lost knowledge of family origin, heritage language, religion, etc.

Tatum doesn't have a point. Why do you not have a problem with Irish Americanns, Italian Americans, German Americans etc, but always have to run your mouths about blacks?
Oh and now we have the Celtic Americans....

.... Why do you not have a problem with Irish Americanns, Italian Americans, German Americans etc ...
Who says?
but always have to run your mouths about blacks?
If you know anyone who's literate have them read the title of this thread "out loud" for you. Then, if you don't get a headache from straining your brain too much, notice that those others you mention are noted by the self-appointed association of ancestral nationality. "African" is not a nationality. If you still don't "get it" then maybe you should start a series of new threads and you can title them:

* "Why Do People Still Call Themselves Irish Americans?"
* "Why Do People Still
Call Themselves Italian Americans?"
* "Why Do People Still Call Themselves German Americans?"

Duh. o_O

Because it's less than a mouthful to say African American than to say "people of African descent".

Why do we need to mention Africa at all though? I'm German, Swiss, Italian, Swedish, and Irish. So would that make me a German Swiss Italian Swedish Irish American? It sure is a whole lot easier to say that I'm an American.

The term "African American" reflects the fact that those brought here as slaves from Africa were separated from family and lost knowledge of family origin, heritage language, religion, etc.
In reality, most people who came to America were separated from the family and lost knowledge of the family origin. Knowing that you came from Europe or knowing you came from Africa, are not really that different.

Honestly, how often does anyone think of anyone else as a _________-American? Not once on any given day does the thought of another person's family's country of origin cross my mind. Nobody I know introduces themselves by tacking on the roots of their family tree. I can't say that I've ever been all that curious... unless maybe the had a accent, then I want to learn...
Yeah right.

Forum List

Back