Zone1 Why Do We Still Call Black People African Americans?

And the term “Irish American” reflects the fact that the Irish who were brought here as slaves from Ireland were separated from family origin etc.

🙄
Worse than slaves.

As many as 20,000 Irish immigrants perished from cholera and yellow fever during the six-year construction of the New Basin Canal, begun in 1832. The victims were buried wherever they died.

Opponents say a planned subdivison of 94 houses on the canal site amounts to grave desecration. They cite a state law defining desecration as 'damaging in any manner of any grave, tomb or mausoleum for the dead.'

Residents admit their primary concern is not the burial site. They say the strip of green space along the filled-in canal is essential to the tranquility of their neighborhood.

Councilman Bryan Wagner said neighbors brought the desecration statute to his attention this week.

'We certainly intend to look into it to verify if they are correct' in their interpretation of the law, Wagner said.

Despite the opposition of 1,000 residents who signed petitions, city planners gave unenthusiastic approval to the project Wednesday. Planning Commissioner Albert Saputo said he lacked authority to oppose it.

'If I thought we were on good legal ground, I would deny the application,' he said. However, the commission forbade development for 90 days in hopes of reaching a compromise with neighbors.

Developer Phil Nugent, president of New Orleans Canal, Inc., said he would be willing to abandon the site if he can work out a land swap for an adjacent tract owned by the state.

'I think the state is agreeable to a swap,' he said.

The immigrant Irishmen who hacked through swampland with picks and shovels were paid $1 a day for their labor. Wives were paid 50 cents for a half-day's work, considered too dangerous for slaves who sold from $500 to $1,500 each.

The settlers hoped the canal would secure their independence from the Creoles, the descendants of France and Spain who dominated New Orleans' culture and economy for a century. The canal opened shipping access to the American sector on the Uptown side of Canal Street.

Barges laden with melons and other produce traveled the canal for more than a century before it was filled in by the state in 1949.

1703999917046.png

None of you have a problem with this.. And don't lie about how you feel the same way about this as you do about the term African American.. This is at least the third thread started by someone white complaining about blacks calling ourselves African American and none about all the white ethnic groups that do the same thing. And had I or anyone else black here started a thread asking why do whites calll themselves Italian American, etc. etc.., we would be called racists and told about how we should not be making everything about color and one moderator would close the thread for being unclean.

So what is the big deal about what we call ourselves?

This is pure racist and this thread should go to the crazy room. What kind of substantive debate are we going to have about this? A bunch of white racists demanding that we say we are Americans? Fuck that.

End the white racism then let's talk about being American. And if you don't like our first amendment right, move to Russia where there is no first amendment.

Last edited:
You know, feel free to believe whatever you want. I know who I am and I know how I treat other people.

You can go through life like everyone is your enemy, or you can go through life as if no one is.

You've made your choice, I've made mine.
Spare me your opinion. None of you say jack about white ethnic groups that do this. Don't tell me how to go through life, because this thread is nothing but a bunch of white racists giving themselves an excuse to say derogatory things about blacks.

In reality, most people who came to America were separated from the family and lost knowledge of the family origin. Knowing that you came from Europe or knowing you came from Africa, are not really that different.
Wow, that is complete bullshit.

Show me an Italian who hates America and believe America owes them compensation. Fuhgeddaboudit.

In reality, most people who came to America were separated from the family and lost knowledge of the family origin. Knowing that you came from Europe or knowing you came from Africa, are not really that different.
I don't think you know what you are talking about. The difference is enormous.

You have the stage.
Thank you. Those who call themselves Irish-American, Italian-American, etc. are aware that their parents, grandparents, or ancestors came from Ireland, Italy, etc. or even their paternal/maternal "half" heritages. Most of them know that they were Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Moslems, etc. and also what regions and towns they were born. Many still today know of relatives still living in "the old country" and even have contact with them by correspondence and personal visits. True or not true? The Africans, on the other hand, were collected by slave traders both in sub-Saharan Africa and in "the New World". So, very few black "New World" (North- or South Americans/West Indians) know anything about their individual heritage. "Africa" .... that's all they know. From what nation ..... from what tribe? They know nothing because no records were kept or considered relevant to slave traders or slave owners. The bottom line is that Irish Americans (as an example) are in an enormously different situation than African Americans.

B. Tatum's got a point. How many black people in America are from Africa because any more, it seems like most of them are born here.

It's used because they don't want to use the word "black" any more.

There was a funny one where a black British person was getting off a plane in the US. An American journalist was talking to a British journalist and and asked what the guy looked like. The British journalist said "he's black" and the American said "You mean, he's African American?"

Doh

Show me an Italian who hates America and believe America owes them compensation. Fuhgeddaboudit.

'Compensation' for what specifically? Black Americans were conscripted in every war yet they were subjected to racism, lynchings, and deadly clandestine procedures such as the 'Tuskegee Experiment'. And the Italians? Adolf Hitler modeled his Nazi scourage on Benito Mussolini's Fascist movement yet Italian Americans "owned" the American entertainment business during that epoch with the likes of Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennet, Pery Como, Dean Martin, Louis Prima, Gina Lollobrigida, Sofia Loren, Marcello Mastroianni, etc. etc. etc. So .... what 'compensation' would you be you referring to? :45:

Thank you. Those who call themselves Irish-American, Italian-American, etc. are aware that their parents, grandparents, or ancestors came from Ireland, Italy, etc. or even their paternal/maternal "half" heritages. Most of them know that they were Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Moslems, etc. and also what regions and towns they were born. Many still today know of relatives still living in "the old country" and even have contact with them by correspondence and personal visits. True or not true?
Totally not true. Most Americans do not have cuddly-time-friendship with their European cousins. Maybe some affluent folks, but not “most“ Americans.

The Africans, on the other hand, were collected by slave traders both in sub-Saharan Africa and in "the New World".

who exactly “collected“ them? How did they end up in the slave trade? Oh yeah, black people did that.

'Compensation' for what specifically? Black Americans were conscripted in every war yet they were subjected to racism, lynchings, and deadly clandestine procedures such as the 'Tuskegee Experiment'. And the Italians? Adolf Hitler modeled his Nazi scourage on Benito Mussolini's Fascist movement yet Italian Americans "owned" the American entertainment business during that epoch with the likes of Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennet, Pery Como, Dean Martin, Louis Prima, Gina Lollobrigida, Sofia Loren, Marcello Mastroianni, etc. etc. etc. So .... what 'compensation' would you be you referring to? :45:

It was IM2‘s analogy. Go work it out with him. He’s the one comparing Italians to some petty grievance group.

Thank you. Those who call themselves Irish-American, Italian-American, etc. are aware that their parents, grandparents, or ancestors came from Ireland, Italy, etc. or even their paternal/maternal "half" heritages. Most of them know that they were Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Moslems, etc. and also what regions and towns they were born. Many still today know of relatives still living in "the old country" and even have contact with them by correspondence and personal visits. True or not true? The Africans, on the other hand, were collected by slave traders both in sub-Saharan Africa and in "the New World". So, very few black "New World" (North- or South Americans/West Indians) know anything about their individual heritage. "Africa" .... that's all they know. From what nation ..... from what tribe? They know nothing because no records were kept or considered relevant to slave traders or slave owners. The bottom line is that Irish Americans (as an example) are in an enormously different situation than African Americans.
Totally not true.
⏭️ Ho-hum. 📎

You claimed
I quoted you. If the quote isn't attributed to your words then check your own quote or complain to the USMB management.
….you quoted me responding to IM2. It’s not rocket science. Just because you stuck you nose in it, doesn’t mean you get to disregard what was previously said.

I quoted you. If the quote isn't attributed to your words then check your own quote or complain to the USMB management.
….you quoted me responding to IM2.

No, I didn't. "Click" is all you have to do and if your name comes at the top of it then it was you who wrote it or it was you who's made the mistake, not me.
It’s not rocket science.
That's right.
Just because you stuck you nose in it ...
I am a member of this forum so I get to "stick my nose" into any discussion/debate/argument as I please.
... doesn’t mean you get to disregard what was previously said.
Show me this "disregard" so that I can respond to it. But I've already proven you've screwed up so all that you are now left with is your panties stuck up your crack looking like more of a fool than you were since I gave you the opportunity to get out with some dignity. But nope, you just keep digging yourself deeper and deeper .......
:dig:

Forum List

Back