What is your favorite story from the Bible?

I have to say my favorite is a toss up between The Book of Ezekiel and Revelations.
Love for Enemies
27 “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

32 “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. 35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

Not by the grace of any gods or demons or spirits, but by reason alone. And you need to start spreading around some credit where it is due. You and many others arrive at good morality thanks to the secular ideas of classical liberalism and scientific enlightenment. That's why your morality is generaly better than Chriatians from 30p years ago, despite deferring to the same religiois text. It's clear to see. I am glad you don't abandon it and instead make your religion fit it.
Hitler;s PhDs would agree with you.

Idiotic response on your part. Hitler did not adhere to either of those ideas I mentioned. He did not observe civil rights, and he was a believer of pseudoscience
All of your ad hominems aside, Hitler's PhDs were rationalists.

Irrelevant. We are all "rationalists", else you wouldnt be able to even function in the world. Your example was stupid, I pointed out why, just move on.
You are a moron...everything Hitler did was legal.
The number of rationalized atrocities committed by atheists is far greater than any other group.

Nazis were all about 'science', including Darwinism, psychiatry, environmentalism, genetics, nutrition, logic, etc. Their platforms varied only slightly from the Progressives of today. Progressive of today are all about censoring and repressing their enemies via the courts and demagoguery, and resort to hiring thugs to disrupt rallies of their opposition. There is no real difference between democrats of today and Nazis of the Wiemar Republic.

I have to say my favorite is a toss up between The Book of Ezekiel and Revelations.
Love for Enemies
27 “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

32 “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. 35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

lol you don't have any idea what those verses mean.

My favorite story is about Mary being knocked up by God. If God and Jesus are the same person, that means Jesus knocked up his own mother and became his own father. Apparently no one cared about Joseph's feelings.

My favorite story is about Mary being knocked up by God. If God and Jesus are the same person, that means Jesus knocked up his own mother and became his own father. Apparently no one cared about Joseph's feelings.

Your favorite story is the one your mother told you when she said you were intelligent.

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NAB
If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

Are you sure you understand what you read here? What was normal at this time of history in the cultures of the world? Normal was to kill the woman, because she had sex. And what's going on here? ... Oh - in the moment I see you you was able to know this. You are just simple a liar or intentionally ignoring what you don't like to understand. His crime was compared with the attack and murder of a neighbor. Here the text again (English standard version)

In Deuteronomy 22:26-29 is written in this context:

But you shall do nothing to the young woman; she has committed no offense punishable by death. For this case is like that of a man attacking and murdering his neighbor,
then the man who lay with her shall give to the father of the young woman fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife, because he has violated her. He may not divorce her all his days.

To compare this: For twenty shekels of silver was Joseph sold from his brothers into slavery. A priest earned about 10 shekels a year. So 50 shekel was really a lot. And additionally he had to give her forever a leading job and social security in his own family-clan at the highest position: as one of his own wives. No man was any longer able not to respect her - except he liked to live in war with his whole family.

I'm not able to imagine any other culture in the world at this time of history where women were respected from the laws in such an extraordinary way. What is the destiny of a raped girl in the USA or in Europe today? Is this really better than it was thousands of years ago within the culture of the Israelites?

Last edited:
All these things Jesus said to the crowds in parables; indeed, he said nothing to them without a parable.

... All of your ad hominems aside, Hitler's PhDs were rationalists.

Hitler's what? The Nazis discussed about whether Nietzsche was the only philosophers of the Nazis - but they did not understand Nietzsche too. ... Nevertheless you are not really wrong. Although the Nazis were irrational and often only idiots - the intellectuals of Germany had helped not a lot against the Nazis. Perhaps they did help even less than nothing against them.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?
Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited:
... You are a moron...everything Hitler did was legal. ...

Sorry: But murder for example - specially mass murder - never was legal in Germany. Also not under Hitler. Same with torture and lots of other crimes of Nazis.

Last edited:

Oh - that's my favorite story. Joseph is really a good guy. One of the best - perhaps the best of all men ever had lived.

-----
This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit. Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly. But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.” All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us”). When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.
-----

-----

Last edited:
Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman: 'Yea, hath God said: Ye shall not eat of any tree of the garden?'

There. Proof of a fairy tale, unless you believe that serpents can talk, but then that would be proof that you are out of your mind.
You believe God created existence yet you cannot accept that the world existed on a higher plane of existence prior to the trespass than after the trespass.
God cursed the Earth and the Nachash and Adam and Eve and you scoff.
God threw Adam and Eve out of Eden because they had sex, instead of Adam staying in Eden with god. Now how gay it that?
Thanks for proving once again you've never read the Bible...moron.
Do you ever tire of embarrassing yourself?
God told Adam not to bang the girl. When he did, god threw them out of Eden. That's pretty fucking gay. :lmao:
What are you talking about?
Is that the Bible by Woody Allen?
It's basically the story and you know it. :biggrin:

You believe God created existence yet you cannot accept that the world existed on a higher plane of existence prior to the trespass than after the trespass.
God cursed the Earth and the Nachash and Adam and Eve and you scoff.
God threw Adam and Eve out of Eden because they had sex, instead of Adam staying in Eden with god. Now how gay it that?
God told Adam not to bang the girl. When he did, god threw them out of Eden. That's pretty fucking gay. :lmao:
Your ignorance is forever recorded.

Your ignorance is forever recorded.
Because believing in an invisible superbeing who lives in another dimension and who wants you to follow a book, and YOU DO IT, isn't? :lol:

Hitler;s PhDs would agree with you.

Idiotic response on your part. Hitler did not adhere to either of those ideas I mentioned. He did not observe civil rights, and he was a believer of pseudoscience
All of your ad hominems aside, Hitler's PhDs were rationalists.

Irrelevant. We are all "rationalists", else you wouldnt be able to even function in the world. Your example was stupid, I pointed out why, just move on.
You are a moron...everything Hitler did was legal.
The number of rationalized atrocities committed by atheists is far greater than any other group.

Nazis were all about 'science', including Darwinism, psychiatry, environmentalism, genetics, nutrition, logic, etc. Their platforms varied only slightly from the Progressives of today. Progressive of today are all about censoring and repressing their enemies via the courts and demagoguery, and resort to hiring thugs to disrupt rallies of their opposition. There is no real difference between democrats of today and Nazis of the Wiemar Republic.

Idiotic post start to finish. The Nazis may have embraced science in some areas, but their core message and goals relied 100% on psuedoscience made up to fool people.

And they were not progressive, what a stupid thing to say. They were hard right fascists who turned your little nasty brand of nationalism into a freaking genocide machine.

And they certainly paid no mind to classical liberalism.

No, I think we can throw your post in the garbage and go back to the original point: Today's religious people (in modern, liberal societies like ours) get the lion's share of their morality from secular ideas. And thank goodness for that.

One of my fave stories is about the virgin birth, because Jesus would have had a really hard time breaking through his mom's hymen. I like to sit back and try to imagine that.

Forum List

Back