What is your favorite story from the Bible?

All you are left with is ignoring any possibility that does not match your mindset.
The Malbim, as I pointed out to you already, proposed this to his peer scientific community and was not ridiculed.
So basically you can't back up properly anything you say. Which means that you live in a fantasy world where you can make up anything.
The same goes for anyone who can't go back in time.
What seems to really bother you is that the verses actually bring up a fact that you didn't know that could prove just as much about the Earth's age as your precious scientists.
The bible has yet to prove ANYTHING of religious substance.
Who's trying to prove anything religious?
Religions are organized...yuch!
The bible has yet to prove ANY of the big things it claims.
So do meteorologist...they seem to suck at anything outside of a 24 hour window.
As for the Temple, there's plenty being found in those digs.

My next issue is how the most literate group of people on Earth were fooled into believing all this nonsense.

We already had this discussion and you haven't looked it up...no surprise.
Look up what? The scientific evidence that humans were alive 250 million years ago?
Ask the global warming experts, they know all about the weather from back then.
I think you're in the wrong thread?
...they would know all about the weather back then so it stands to reason they would know all about everything else.
You have a bone to pick with meteorologists?
Pretending does not suit you.

My fave story is the flood, because nobody can tell me how Noah got kangaroos from Australia and back again.
The world was one giant continent back then.
250 million years ago? As science shows? Sorry, but there were no humanoids back then. Epic fail.
Heat speeds up the aging process.
And still you ignore prior discussions.
Are you suffering from dementia?
He got me. I just threw that number out there and he used it to change the subject. And I was just joking about it being during the time we did have one giant continent. Anyways, noah is going to end up just another allegory just like every other bible story including Jesus.

One day logically christians won’t be able to sell that story as fact so the entire faith is just a book to make people better.

Of course it’s also a book that can make people justify bad. Or forgive themselves of wrong doings.

It’s real easy to be a Christian you just have to believe and try your best but hey, we’re all sinners right? Only difference is christians think they get a pass

Not a "story" in my beliefs, but a way to live:

John 7:53-8:11

Then each of them went home,

8 while Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 2 Early in the morning he came again to the temple. All the people came to him and he sat down and began to teach them. 3 The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery; and making her stand before all of them, 4 they said to him, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery. 5 Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6 They said this to test him, so that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 And once again he bent down and wrote on the ground. 9 When they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the elders; and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. 10 Jesus straightened up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” 11 She said, “No one, sir.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you. Go your way, and from now on do not sin again.”

But clearly a person can arrive at that morality without the magical nonsense and without religious dogma. In fact, I assert that YOU arrived at that morality via other means, and you have merely found passages in the Bible to bolster it.

By the grace of God, yes. Written words only supplement God's omnipotence.

Not by the grace of any gods or demons or spirits, but by reason alone. And you need to start spreading around some credit where it is due. You and many others arrive at good morality thanks to the secular ideas of classical liberalism and scientific enlightenment. That's why your morality is generaly better than Chriatians from 30p years ago, despite deferring to the same religiois text. It's clear to see. I am glad you don't abandon it and instead make your religion fit it.
Hitler;s PhDs would agree with you.

Idiotic response on your part. Hitler did not adhere to either of those ideas I mentioned. He did not observe civil rights, and he was a believer of pseudoscience

8 while Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 2 Early in the morning he came again to the temple. All the people came to him and he sat down and began to teach them. 3 The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery; and making her stand before all of them, 4 they said to him, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery. 5 Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6 They said this to test him, so that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 And once again he bent down and wrote on the ground. 9 When they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the elders; and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. 10 Jesus straightened up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” 11 She said, “No one, sir.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you. Go your way, and from now on do not sin again.”

But clearly a person can arrive at that morality without the magical nonsense and without religious dogma. In fact, I assert that YOU arrived at that morality via other means, and you have merely found passages in the Bible to bolster it.

Not by the grace of any gods or demons or spirits, but by reason alone. And you need to start spreading around some credit where it is due. You and many others arrive at good morality thanks to the secular ideas of classical liberalism and scientific enlightenment. That's why your morality is generaly better than Chriatians from 30p years ago, despite deferring to the same religiois text. It's clear to see. I am glad you don't abandon it and instead make your religion fit it.

My faith is not to be forced upon others. Nor do I expect all to adhere, Liberty of belief is paramount. Your faith is obvious, yet please allow others theirs.

I have no faith... Sorry. Faith is silly and not something to be respected.

Idiotic response on your part. Hitler did not adhere to either of those ideas I mentioned. He did not observe civil rights, and he was a believer of pseudoscience
The point I got was that christians today are much more civilized than they were 200 or even 1200 years ago

The point I got was that christians today are much more civilized than they were 200 or even 1200 years ago

Exactly, despite deferring to the same magical text. Clearly this difference is due to the advacement of our secular knowledge.

Indiana is a devout atheist. No point in trying to reason with a true believer.

He actually agreed with me.

Now, back to your error: I have no faith. Care to admit your error?

Of course you do, your faith is in your imagined superiority of NO BELIEFS. That in itself is a faith. An actual atheist would not argue the point of course. But then you might have to confront the questions you cannot answer; where did matter originate? What existed before the "Big Bang"? Explain an infinite universe.

Of course you do, your faith is in your imagined superiority of NO BELIEFS. That in itself is a faith. An actual atheist would not argue the point of course. But then you might have to confront the questions you cannot answer; where did matter originate? What existed before the "Big Bang"? Explain an infinite universe.

"No beliefs"

Uh...what? I have many beliefs. So that's incorrect.

And not adopting a particular belief does not necessarily indicate or require faith. I have not adopted a belief in unicorns. Not doing this does not indicate or require faith. So you're wrong there, too.

"Where did matter originate"

Poor question, as we have a fairly good idea that matter coalesced out of an earlier, hyper dense state of energy and space. But we'll tackle it anyway, ignoring your error:

I don't know. And it doesn't bother me to say so. So you're wrong about that, as well. 0 for 3 in that post.

Are you claiming to know how matter originated?

"Explain an infinite universe"

Explain...what, exactly? Your request is a bit nonsensical and vague. "Explain a brown dog." Explain what about it, exactly?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back