Zone1 Is the Canon of Scripture Closed and Can We Not Receive Any More Revelation From God?

Is the Canon of Scripture Closed and Can We Not Receive Any More Revelation From God?

• Total voters

onefour1

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2014
Some Christians believe that the canon of scripture is closed and that God will not reveal any more revelation to the world. Do you believe this or not? What is your reasoning for why it is closed or why it is not closed?

My vote and belief is that the canon of scripture is not closed and God still can and will reveal revelations to mankind. My reasoning is that there is no evidence in the Bible or elsewhere that is official that God has stopped revealing truth and that there are things of the past that have been lost that God would want revealed again so that we might have those truths.

Acts 3:20-21
20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Also there is a prophesy that we will have the stick of Joseph to go hand in hand with the stick of Judah (the Bible). As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints we believe the stick of Joseph to be the Book of Mormon.

Ezekiel 37:15-19
15 The word of the Lord came again unto me, saying,
16 Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick, and write upon it, For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel his companions:
17 And join them one to another into one stick; and they shall become one in thine hand.
18 And when the children of thy people shall speak unto thee, saying, Wilt thou not shew us what thou meanest by these?
19 Say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I will take the stick of Joseph, which is in the hand of Ephraim, and the tribes of Israel his fellows, and will put them with him, even with the stick of Judah, and make them one stick, and they shall be one in mine hand.

1711836936440.png

I'd drop Deuteronomy from the OT. Who approved the books comprising the OT?
The Jews bible is only the first five books of the OT, written about 1500 BC.
The NT is not "prophecy", its guidance from God, the New Covenant, that's all she wrote, that's all we need.
Not sure how all the other religions are received by God.
Is any religion that worships God good enough?

The Book of Revelation is Gods last for us .The holy scripture is the Alpha and Omega the begining and the end of Gods Revelation to us, all things we need to know can be found in scripture no need for anything else.
Never stop seeking God no matter where it leads you do not stop, continue seeking God your whole life.

Some Christians believe that the canon of scripture is closed and that God will not reveal any more revelation to the world. Do you believe this or not? What is your reasoning for why it is closed or why it is not closed?

My vote and belief is that the canon of scripture is not closed and God still can and will reveal revelations to mankind. My reasoning is that there is no evidence in the Bible or elsewhere that is official that God has stopped revealing truth and that there are things of the past that have been lost that God would want revealed again so that we might have those truths.

21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Also there is a prophesy that we will have the stick of Joseph to go hand in hand with the stick of Judah (the Bible). As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints we believe the stick of Joseph to be the Book of Mormon.

16 Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick, and write upon it, For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel his companions:
17 And join them one to another into one stick; and they shall become one in thine hand.
18 And when the children of thy people shall speak unto thee, saying, Wilt thou not shew us what thou meanest by these?
19 Say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I will take the stick of Joseph, which is in the hand of Ephraim, and the tribes of Israel his fellows, and will put them with him, even with the stick of Judah, and make them one stick, and they shall be one in mine hand.

View attachment 924740
Those are 2 questions and they contradict each other.
The canon is closed
but
God can and does continue to reveal what deepens our understanding of that already-received Faith.

But most basically you misread what 'revealed' means
It in no way contradicts Deuteronomy

9 "The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things that are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law.

As anything written or said about something as complex as an all powerful deity can only, at best, be taken metaphorically, then effectively everything that has been said and written is more than enough. That has nothing to do with continuing, personal "revelation" that anyone and everyone can and must experience to fully appreciate life and death. Insisting on one's revelation having to be accepted by everyone else is as absurd as things can get.

Damn, some of you people worry about the oddest things when it comes to religion......And some wonder why I prefer keeping religion at arm's length.
Absolutely .
They create a Cult and then cannot agree important details of their narrative .
I appreciate most people need at least a crutch to lean on but why do they babble incessantly to themselves ?

So who received the revelation that the canon was closed and no more revelation for the church was to be received?

As anything written or said about something as complex as an all powerful deity can only, at best, be taken metaphorically, then effectively everything that has been said and written is more than enough. That has nothing to do with continuing, personal "revelation" that anyone and everyone can and must experience to fully appreciate life and death. Insisting on one's revelation having to be accepted by everyone else is as absurd as things can get.
If it were only metaphorical how do you know it is from God in the first place ???????????????
Logically you are saying that God could not make Himself clear to humans --- which you could only know if God clearly made that known to you. WHAT A MESS

Ephesians 4:9-16
9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

Seems that if God gave to the church prophets until we all come to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ that prophets would receive prophetic revelation for the church of God and God would not put an end to revelation and canon in his church. No where in scripture had God told us that these things would come to an end.

If it were only metaphorical how do you know it is from God in the first place ???????????????
Logically you are saying that God could not make Himself clear to humans --- which you could only know if God clearly made that known to you. WHAT A MESS
A "clear" message can be obscured by humans and their conflicting psychological states. "God", knowing what humans are like, would thus have to provide what would be the only avenue for getting through to at least some people. If it is a "mess", we can probably lay it at the feet of we perceivers, not the source of the signal.

View attachment 924740
so you follow a cult. repent asap.

If one worships this exalted man from Adam, (his father) it is creature worship not creator worship. They are worshipping an offspring of another creature. No matter how far one goes back, there is always another man.

Stephen E. Robinson, a Brigham Young University professor tries to convince us in his book How Wide the Divide that the differences are sleight. “Evangelicals often accuse Latter-day Saints of worshiping a ‘different Jesus’ because we believe some things about Jesus that cannot be proven from the Bible…. This charge that people worship ‘a different Jesus’ if they disagree over any detail of his character or history, is simply a rhetorical device, a trick of language” (Craig L. Blomberg and Stephen E. Robinson, How Wide the Divide? pp. 136–37).

As we have just seen in their own quotes, they acknowledge that they have a different Jesus. And it is not just some things that are different because of semantics but the very nature of man and God are completely different. None of these are insignificant to be over looked because its challenges history and the very words recorded in the Bible.

Inherent in the fallen human condition is the propensity to worship something else other than the true God and the way he has required. Usually it is self. When one arrives at the state of thinking themselves as becoming or being a god, a creature that deserves worship from other creatures (human or not) they have come to the consciousness of Lucifer who is now known as Satan. The love of status and position are attractive and drive people to lust after the ultimate power which can never be theirs. This is why God tells us to humble ourselves, to not think more highly of ourselves.

On counter point:

If everyone is worshipping “their own God,” on different planets, then logically, each of these “Gods” must be false. None of them can be the true God because they all belong to the same polytheistic system of numerous gods, offspring of men. Therefore, any god the Mormon claims to worship through his church cannot the God of Scripture. Not on this earth (who is Adam), nor anywhere else; it is that unambiguous.

Inherent in the fallen human condition is the propensity to worship something else other than the true God and the way he has required. Usually it is self. When one arrives at the state of thinking themselves as becoming or being a god, a creature that deserves worship from other creatures (human or not) they have come to the consciousness of Lucifer who is now known as Satan. The love of status and position are attractive and drive people to lust after the ultimate power which can never be theirs. This is why God tells us to humble ourselves, to not think more highly of ourselves.

On counter point:

If everyone is worshipping “their own God,” on different planets, then logically, each of these “Gods” must be false. None of them can be the true God because they all belong to the same polytheistic system of numerous gods, offspring of men. Therefore, any god the Mormon claims to worship through his church cannot the God of Scripture. Not on this earth (who is Adam), nor anywhere else; it is that unambiguous.
That is why I want to keep mentioning the Elohim who are the source for the big three monotheistic religions --- Christianity , Islam and Judaism .
Then soon , possibly later this year , we can ask the Cultists how the existence of Space Aliens affects their beliefs !!!
Amid the chaos and mayhem .

A "clear" message can be obscured by humans and their conflicting psychological states. "God", knowing what humans are like, would thus have to provide what would be the only avenue for getting through to at least some people. If it is a "mess", we can probably lay it at the feet of we perceivers, not the source of the signal.
yes and that is synkatabasis , which is what I am saying
"Thus the Bible may be relied on for its “accuracy and precision” (akribeia). God spoke to humans through human language and progressively “accommodated” (synkatabasis) Himself and the plan of salvation (oikonomia) to the level of comprehension that the people were capable of receiving at that time."

yes and that is synkatabasis , which is what I am saying
"Thus the Bible may be relied on for its “accuracy and precision” (akribeia). God spoke to humans through human language and progressively “accommodated” (synkatabasis) Himself and the plan of salvation (oikonomia) to the level of comprehension that the people were capable of receiving at that time."
Metaphor, the only way a human could ever speak about the indescribable.

Matthew 24:35
35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

1 Peter 1:25
25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

The only way that prophesy for the church as a whole is ever done away is through apostasy and wickedness. This was prophesied by the Prophet Amos as follows:

Amos 8:11-12
11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord:
12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, and shall not find it.

This happened shortly after the death of the Apostles of Jesus Christ. Maybe this is why many so boldly proclaim that the canon is closed and no more prophesy can be had for the children of God as a whole. Continuing revelation was taken from the earth because of the falling away from the church of God.

Apostasy of the Early Christian Church

• changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant, Isa. 24:5.
  • this people draw near me with their mouth, Isa. 29:13.
  • darkness shall cover the earth, Isa. 60:2.
  • a famine … of hearing the words of the Lord, Amos 8:11.
  • his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, Matt. 13:25.
  • saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many, Matt. 24:5.
  • shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, Matt. 24:24.
  • his disciples went back, and walked no more with him, John 6:66.
  • shall grievous wolves enter in among you, Acts 20:29.
  • there be divisions among you, 1 Cor. 11:18.
  • I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him, Gal. 1:6.
  • who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey, Gal. 3:1.
  • shall not come, except there come a falling away first, 2 Thes. 2:3.
  • some having swerved have turned aside, 1 Tim. 1:6.
  • giving heed to seducing spirits, 1 Tim. 4:1.
  • all they which are in Asia be turned away from me, 2 Tim. 1:15.
  • Who concerning the truth have erred, 2 Tim. 2:18.
  • Having a form of godliness, but denying the power, 2 Tim. 3:5.
  • turn away their ears from the truth … unto fables, 2 Tim. 4:4.
  • profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, Titus 1:16.
  • From whence come wars and fightings among you, James 4:1.
  • false prophets also among the people, 2 Pet. 2:1.
  • being led away with the error of the wicked, 2 Pet. 3:17.
  • now are there many antichrists, 1 Jn. 2:18.
  • many false prophets are gone out into the world, 1 Jn. 4:1.
  • certain men crept in … denying the only Lord God, Jude 1:4.
  • which say they are apostles, and are not, Rev. 2:2.
  • thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, Rev. 3:16.
  • to make war with the saints, Rev. 13:7.

Martin Luther and many others understood that the Catholic church was in a state of apostasy and for this reason we had the great protestant reformation. However, these protestant reformists broke away from an apostate church but were not a restoration of the priesthood or the spirit of prophesy and revelation. This was all prophesied by the Prophet Amos. However, Jesus was not to leave us in darkness but made us the following promise:

Here we read of a restitution of the gospel of all things spoken by the mouth of all the holy prophets since the world began. Jesus Christ would once again be sent to restore his true church upon the face of the earth. Revelation was not received on the earth until Jesus came again and restored his true church upon the face of the earth. Jesus was in heaven until the time of this great restitution of all things. We are now living in the time of the restitution of all things. God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared to the boy prophet Joseph Smith and restored his church once again upon the face of this earth. Again the heavens were opened and the revelations of God were again with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Heavens are no longer closed to the public and a true knowledge of God has been restored. God the Father and Jesus Christ are the ones in whose very image and likeness mankind was created. This is in the Bible:

Genesis 1:26
26 ¶ And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

The "us" and "our" in the above verse refer to God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ. So is God the Father not in the same image and likeness as mankind? YES! He is the Man of Holiness. And Jesus is the Son of Man. After Jesus was resurrected and ascended to heaven, we read that Jesus was the express image of the person of the Father:

Hebrews 1:1-3
1. God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2. Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
3. Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

Here are other verses that attest to the corporeal nature of God:

God, Body of, Corporeal Nature

Do you not find it strange that Jesus and all mankind will be resurrected with bodies of flesh and bone as shown in Luke 24, yet the Father needs no body of flesh and bone to be eternally perfect? Why do we need resurrected immortal bodies if God does not? Why would Jesus need to resurrect if God the Father has no body? What is the purpose of resurrection if God the Father needs no resurrection? Why is it part of our salvation to become immortal with bodies of flesh and bones? Where does it ever teach that God the Father does not have a body of flesh and bones?

To whom was it ever revealed that God has shut down the canon of scripture and no longer gives revelation to his apostles or prophets for the direction of his church? Can't find it anywhere in the Bible! Funny how it is claimed that after the Apostles died that revelation was considered closed even though the apostles never claimed such. Who got the revelation after it was closed to say it was closed? The only closing of revelation and the canon came by means of apostasy from the true church of Jesus Christ as the prophet Amos testified.

Metaphor, the only way a human could ever speak about the indescribable.
Well if truly indescribable you could not say anything

Catholics have 'analogy' and Protestants flounder with talk about God absolutely beyond our ken --- which makes Jesus mission entirely without meaning

The Analogy of Being: Invention of the Antichrist , so said Karl Barth ,and barely has a man ever made a more foolish statement

It's from the devil he says but then -- oh wait !!--

1712665826221.png

Well if truly indescribable you could not say anything

Catholics have 'analogy' and Protestants flounder with talk about God absolutely beyond our ken --- which makes Jesus mission entirely without meaning

The Analogy of Being: Invention of the Antichrist , so said Karl Barth ,and barely has a man ever made a more foolish statement

It's from the devil he says but then -- oh wait !!--

View attachment 929552

It could be said that all religions essentially are blasphemous in that they define and, thus, diminish the "Supreme One"..

It could be said that all religions essentially are blasphemous in that they define and, thus, diminish the "Supreme One"..
No, it couldn't for 3 absulutely compelling reasons

1) That would mean God literally could not give a revelation to man and then further
2) this is something you could only know by Revelation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3) It is a mark of astronomical dumbness to say that if you don't know everything and know it completely you can't know anything.

Plus what you say has an assurance you admit you cannot have

"
  • “For thus says the High and Lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: ‘I dwell in the high and holy place, with him who has a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones” (Isaiah 57:15)."

Forum List

Back