What Are Your Internet Manners?

I cannot understand why anyone would develop a whole new persona for the 'net...what the hell is the payoff?

For some people it's probably like a kid playing dress up, trying on a personality for kicks and without any real consequences. Or indulging a facet of their personality they have to suppress IRL, maybe. It doesn't work for me but whatever makes people's socks go up and down. None of my business.

Creeps me out...I always suspect they're writing from a prison somewhere.

If that were true, then there'd be a helluva lot more prisons.

I cannot understand why anyone would develop a whole new persona for the 'net...what the hell is the payoff?

For some people it's probably like a kid playing dress up, trying on a personality for kicks and without any real consequences. Or indulging a facet of their personality they have to suppress IRL, maybe. It doesn't work for me but whatever makes people's socks go up and down. None of my business.

Cell # 999 (yeah, I'm the anti-Satan) in the local asylum for the geniously insane.........

Some of the characters around the net in general make me think there should be a helluva lot more psychiatrists, that's for sure. :D

But why would it be creepy?

Who I am on USMB is who I am generally IRL. I try not to use bad language ... but every now and again someone posts something that just royally pisses me off and I temporarily turn into a sailor who has just had his pecker maced while getting his nuts cracked. If I've got an issue to take up with someone I try to do it through PM rather than public castigation. Some threads I don't open at all because of who's named as OP ... it's usually the same old BS all the time, generally on the same subject.

I guess I say pretty much what I mean ... and mean what I say.

Some of the characters around the net in general make me think there should be a helluva lot more psychiatrists, that's for sure. :D

But why would it be creepy?

It's lying about the basics...a/s/l, yanno? Is there ever a good reason for that?

Who I am on USMB is who I am generally IRL. I try not to use bad language ... but every now and again someone posts something that just royally pisses me off and I temporarily turn into a sailor who has just had his pecker maced while getting his nuts cracked. If I've got an issue to take up with someone I try to do it through PM rather than public castigation. Some threads I don't open at all because of who's named as OP ... it's usually the same old BS all the time, generally on the same subject.

I think we almost all mostly type no different than we speak, Granny. A few are so elegant, you can tell they do a lot of business writing -- Toro, Trajan, editec -- but mostly I think people are as represented, with the exception of the Liars.

I can assure you, I curse this much IRL and always have -- but I do try to curb it in front of the children, etc.

I pretty much listen: I appreciate a rapier wit as much as I do someone who cannot be content to let others guess how stupid they are; they must constantly prove it.

That would depend upon the color of the font being used.

I've been trying to cut back on the typos and convoluted sentences. With mixed success. :redface:

But hey, nobody's perfect!

Speaking of nobody's perfect, that's the one breach of internet manners that annoys me. People who simply cannot admit they're wrong. Ever. I can take all the insults anyone can throw at me, but if you're wrong just say so already! Ten pages of twisting and backpedaling just isn't cool.

I don't behave/speak all that differently here than I do IRL. I wasn't aware when I first joined that USMB allows...

Bullshit. There were threads and posts that showed up during your first week.

Stop playing the part of Mrs. Kravitz on Bewitched.

Edited By Intense, Unprovoked, Abusive, content.

Last edited:
I've been trying to cut back on the typos and convoluted sentences. With mixed success. :redface:

Speaking of nobody's perfect, that's the one breach of internet manners that annoys me. People who simply cannot admit they're wrong. Ever. I can take all the insults anyone can throw at me, but if you're wrong just say so already! Ten pages of twisting and backpedaling just isn't cool.

:eusa_hand:

You're Wrong.
:eusa_angel:

You're Wrong.

Sowwy. :redface:

IMO, the most important internet etiquette is to use proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. It's especially critical to use the apostrophe properly.
I come from a family of printers. My great grandfather started a print shop here in 1921 and my brother is the fourth generation to own and operate it. My father used to toss the daily newspaper to my brother and i as we played on the living room floor at his feet. "There's a typo in column two, page five boys! Find it!"

Words, spelling, grammar and correct punctuation are part of my genetic code. I respect language, especially the written word, and I wish others would show some respect to our most effective mode of communication.

You're Wrong.

Sowwy. :redface:

BWAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!

Now I can wear a gold star on my forehead for the REST OF THE DAY!!!:razz:

HEHEHEHEEEEEEEEEeeeeeee!!!!

Correction: Nobodies Perfeck!

Forum List

Back