What Are Your Internet Manners?

My intrepretation of the golden rule.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
However.
Do not be stupid and let others take advantage of you.

Kevin, that is true when dealing with real people.

Sock puppets and anonymous twits are not real people.

different rules = different rules.

They're easy to ignore.

I ignore things at will. I try to be civil with you because you have not been a troll like Madeline or others of her ilk. I post to the post and not the personality. I end up posting to the person only after a long history of a civil back and forth -- or an uncivil back and forth.

The Southern Insurrectionists were traitors who declared war on the government and people of the United States. :redface:

And I'm working on not taking the bait. ;)

They're easy to ignore.

I ignore things at will. I try to be civil with you because you have not been a troll like Madeline or others of her ilk. I post to the post and not the personality. I end up posting to the person only after a long history of a civil back and forth -- or an uncivil back and forth.

The Southern Insurrectionists were traitors who declared war on the government and people of the United States. :redface:

And I'm working on not taking the bait. ;)

bait?

I'm a patient fisher-of-men.

I once told Jesus "I coulda been a contendah!"

Per the OP:

I'm a little different on here than I am in person, though not much. I have found that I have to watch it when I'm at work a little more than I am accustomed to or like.

In person, on my time off, I'm the same.

On facebook, I have to tone it down, because I have clients and co-workers and other people from work who visit my facebook page, so I can't really talk about work there, or refer to cases specifically. You don't have to use names here for people to know who you are. For example, I can't go on my facebook and say, "Fucking crap, I've been slammed since this morning, 4 walk ins have come in" and piss and moan about them...because within 10 minutes each one of those people would know I was talking about them.

That is correct only as to dialogue. As to repeating the words of another writer (who did not write them as dialogue) the quote goes inside the period.

I'm putting $5 on this.....

Per the OP:

I'm a little different on here than I am in person, though not much. I have found that I have to watch it when I'm at work a little more than I am accustomed to or like.

On facebook, I have to tone it down, because I have clients and co-workers and other people from work who visit my facebook page, so I can't really talk about work there, or refer to cases specifically. You don't have to use names here for people to know who you are. For example, I can't go on my facebook and say, "Fucking crap, I've been slammed since this morning, 4 walk ins have come in" and piss and moan about them...because within 10 minutes each one of those people would know I was talking about them.

O *shudders* clients and employers on your facebook page? Poor Allie....you keeping up with all the privacy thingies, miss?

That is correct only as to dialogue. As to repeating the words of another writer (who did not write them as dialogue) the quote goes inside the period.

That's how I was taught in school, but so much has changed since then I wouldn't be willing to bet on it. If you pay attention you can get a rough estimate of posters' ages by their grammar and punctuation, have you noticed? ;)

My citation shows the correct way to place quotation marks for the situation you described.

Periods and commas always go inside quotation marks, even inside single quotes.

That's how I was taught in school, but so much has changed since then I wouldn't be willing to bet on it. If you pay attention you can get a rough estimate of posters' ages by their grammar and punctuation, have you noticed? ;)

Age and wisdom beats youth, enthusiasm, and bad grammar?

Per the OP:

O *shudders* clients and employers on your facebook page? Poor Allie....you keeping up with all the privacy thingies, miss?

There is no privacy in this berg. At least not for me.

Forum List

Back