What Are Your Internet Manners?

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
I don't behave/speak all that differently here than I do IRL. I wasn't aware when I first joined that USMB allows kids on, and I have been cognizant of this since I learned. But in truth, we seem to have only a couple of young people and they seem to hold their own, so it does not chill me as much as perhaps it should.

I think the men on USMB owe the ladies a modicum of consideration. Save the no-holds-barred viciousness and threats for one another. I think the young owe a teeny-weeny amount of consideration to the mature, and the mature owe a much larger consideration to everyone else, especially the very young.

I think it's wrong to keep after someone who has thrown the white flag or seems to be distressed.

I think the straights need to check the anti-gay insults, especially when they hurl them at GLBT USMB-ers. This is something I need to work on myself.

I think our military and vets should be looked at by us civilians with gratitude and pride. We admire you. We admire your families.

If you are a professional -- painter, plumber, lawyer, scientist, doctor, computer genius, broker, etc. -- remember some people on the 'net are so lacking in critical thinking skills they will follow your advice to the letter. You all know the caveats to use....I think you should try to remember to include them when you post "with your biz hat on".

I think the American USMB-ers are generally polite to the furreniers, and that this is, after all, a US political board. I hope we aren't all coming across as Ugly Americans and I know, I like learning a little about other nations.

So, what are your USMB manners?

BTW, I certainly dun claim I never have a manners faux pax. Mine are hardly the standard anyone else should be following...at least not as I practice them!

I make pont of never saying anything to anyone on this or any other message board that I wouldn't say to face-to-face.

Unless they shoot first. Then all bets are off.

• Banned
I make pont of never saying anything to anyone on this or any other message board that I wouldn't say to face-to-face.

We do have some moonbats who are clearly in one protected class or another, Mr. Clean. Older, women, veterans, etc. Do you hold back a little with these people or no?

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't....I can't decide if I need to.

We do have some moonbats who are clearly in one protected class or another, Mr. Clean. Older, women, veterans, etc. Do you hold back a little with these people or no?

If they're too immature and uncivilized to hold back on the insults and name calling, then I don't care what their status is.

But like I said, I never take the first shot.

• Banned

If they're too immature and uncivilized to hold back on the insults and name calling, then I don't care what their status is.

But like I said, I never take the first shot.

I don't either as a rule, but I can remember if that USMB-er just wrote some fuckwhitery 15 minutes before on another thread...and I have started a few flame threads.

Trolls is good eatin'!

"WE admire you. WE admire your families."

Wouldn't it be cool if people could let other people speak for themselves rather than making pronouncements on behalf of others.

What you see is what you get here. The nonverbal element is lacking, so I'm probably a bit more outspoken (and wordy :lol:) here than IRL where I'd be far more inclined to say certain things without words. But the basic "me"? No difference, really.

I try and treat the posters as they deserve based on their posts.
I am a bit nicwer to ladies, just old school I suppose.
However some females prove they are not ladies, then I treat them as they deserve.

All in my opinion of course as with all of us.

Every time I visit this forum, I make a conscious attempt at NOT throwing any insults towards anyone. If the urge grows strong, which it has a countless number of times, I'll leave the thread or the boards completely, hoping the usual self-riteous members will toss the criticisms instead.

What you see is what you get here. The nonverbal element is lacking, so I'm probably a bit more outspoken (and wordy :lol:) here than IRL where I'd be far more inclined to say certain things without words. But the basic "me"? No difference, really.

I cannot understand why anyone would develop a whole new persona for the 'net...what the hell is the payoff?

Every time I visit this forum, I make a conscious attempt at NOT throwing any insults towards anyone. If the urge grows strong, which it has a countless number of times, I'll leave the thread or the boards completely, hoping the usual self-riteous members will toss the criticisms instead.

O, we do! LOL...justice appeals to me more'n manners. I stomp bigots every time I see one.

I think USMB needs people like us both, masquarade. If everyone flung snot, it'd be too contentious...but if no one did, who would spank the bad apples?

I cannot understand why anyone would develop a whole new persona for the 'net...what the hell is the payoff?

I think it's either:

a. Since a message board like this is more or less anonymous, they can get away with whatever they want

or

b. They're like that in real life also.

I try and treat the posters as they deserve based on their posts.
I am a bit nicwer to ladies, just old school I suppose.
However some females prove they are not ladies, then I treat them as they deserve.

All in my opinion of course as with all of us.

I have that bias as well, uscitizen. I think the men owe the ladies a modicum of restraint.

Mebbe I am old-fashioned, but I dun like to see out and out viciousness directed at a chick by a man, unless she takes it to that level first.

IMO, the most important internet etiquette is to use proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. It's especially critical to use the apostrophe properly.

I think it's either:

a. Since a message board like this is more or less anonymous, they can get away with whatever they want

or

b. They're like that in real life also.

But it is almost always easy to spot. Do they really think they're fooling anyone?

I yam what I yam. Same person on or off the Internet.
I do however feel there are plenty of people that are different on the Internet. They say things they would never say to you in RL, face to face. I don't get it, but there it is.

For some people it's probably like a kid playing dress up, trying on a personality for kicks and without any real consequences. Or indulging a facet of their personality they have to suppress IRL, maybe. It doesn't work for me but whatever makes people's socks go up and down. None of my business.

For some people it's probably like a kid playing dress up, trying on a personality for kicks and without any real consequences. Or indulging a facet of their personality they have to suppress IRL, maybe. It doesn't work for me but whatever makes people's socks go up and down. None of my business.

Creeps me out...I always suspect they're writing from a prison somewhere.

New Topics

Forum List

Back