The Chick-Fil-A Controversy

Should a city deny a business license due to a 'wrong' political/social stance?

• Yes, I can see a justification for that.

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • No,I can't see a justification for that.

Votes: 69 84.1%
  • Other and I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 5 6.1%

• Total voters
We as consumers choose with our spending power who we choose and do not choose to patronize with out business for many reason and yes those reasons can include the religious convictions of that business or for that matter even if you don't like the color of the pain on the walls. Where it tends to run afoul of the constitution in my humble opinion is when a local, state, and federal Govt. makes laws that deny a business a means to surivive if they comply with existing laws, simply because they have an issue with their religious beliefs. Chic-Fil-A no matter what anyone may think, is a private company and is entitled to it's owners opinions which has been very public for a long time, and as mentioned above if their business is in compliance with locals codes and state laws, then the only thing that remains is the consumer who is and should be the ultimate decision maker in their success or failure.

SarahTodd.png

On a side note here, as a person who has never had Chic-Fil-A and honestly am not sure they are even here, is it good?

On a side note here, as a person who has never had Chic-Fil-A and honestly am not sure they are even here, is it good?

I think it probably is. We had our first just this past weekend and I disliked the limp Romaine lettuce as I much prefer crisp iceberg lettuce on a sandwich, and it was exceedingly dry as Mr. Foxfyre didn't know to ask for sauce to put on the sandwich. But if we do it again, we'll know the ropes a little better.

I think it probably is. We had our first just this past weekend and I disliked the limp Romaine lettuce as I much prefer crisp iceberg lettuce on a sandwich, and it was exceedingly dry as Mr. Foxfyre didn't know to ask for sauce to put on the sandwich. But if we do it again, we'll know the ropes a little better.

There is a local hamburger place here that we go to from time to time, Fox, and to be honest after all this debate about a fast food place, I would never have even thought of asking them what their political beliefs were as that is not a top issue when we choose to eat something. As for Chic-Fil-A will have to look and see if there is one around here.

There is a local hamburger place here that we go to from time to time, Fox, and to be honest after all this debate about a fast food place, I would never have even thought of asking them what their political beliefs were as that is not a top issue when we choose to eat something. As for Chic-Fil-A will have to look and see if there is one around here.

I hear you. As I previously posted, I don't know what the religious or political views are of the owners of most of the places where I shop for anything. And I don't CARE what the religious or political views are of the few places in which I am informed of that. :)

As for fast food, I will confess my redneck roots when I say that of all the fast food we get when I in the mood for fast food, I still enjoy a Big Mac or an egg Mcmuffin now and then.

They also have a char broiled chickwich. I'd get that next time I have to make a special trip because the only one around is so far, but to support the company and poke a stick at gay activists, I'm happy to do it.

They also have a char broiled chickwich. I'd get that next time I have to make a special trip because the only one around is so far, but to support the company and poke a stick at gay activists, I'm happy to do it.

Naw. We went to Chick-fil-a this weekend because we think they are being unfairly attacked and criticized. But we also are regular customers at Flying Star that is openly pro just about every leftwing issue that exists including gay rights and I wouldn't want them attacked and criticized or denied a business license for their views either. Besides they turn out a terrific product. :)

Yeah, Chck-Fil-A is good. Waffle fries. Real lemonade. None of their chicken is that reconstituted meat garbage like McDonald's chicken nuggets. People come to your table to see if you need anything, including drink refills.

At lunch time, there's always a drive-through line that extends to the street, and employees come out on foot to take orders to speed up the line.

I just got home from seeing what I think was a beautiful picture. My job is right across the street from our local Chick Fil-A and when I left to go home, I saw that the place was packed. :) :) :)

God bless you and every Chick Fil-A location always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

I was watching on the news this morning that today is "Chick-fil-a" day with those who are opposing the protest against them making an extra effort to patronize their local Chick-fil-a franchise.

Amd in answer to Chanel, yes they are franchises but I don't know whether the parent corporation or the local owners own those franchises. Most MacDonalds are owned by local owners, most of whom own more than one store; some own dozens. I would guess the same would probably be true of the Chick-fil-a franchises, but nevertheless the parent corporation does profit from every franchise it authorizes and of course maintain strict quality control to ensure that each Chick-fil-a is fully recognizable as a Chick-fil-a.

Last edited:
I've had the chance to watch this play out on the news and it seems to me that a lot of these stores are owned by any number of Americans who hold any number of views, it also occurs to me that unless these stores have shown a wide pattern of breaking laws, other than expressing their right to free speech then once again, it should be up to the consumer to make that choice. If the CEO of Chic-Fil-A wishes to express himself or even for that matter said he likes to climb trees in the backyard then that is his right to do so and has nothing at all to do with his business unless his business breaks laws in employment, food , etc. which it appears they do not. So if some do not like what the man has to say then do not patronize his establishment , seems simple enough.

I did happen to see this, when asked about his religion once, the former CEo of Dominos Pizza who was well known for his conservative views, said we dont make "religion" here we make pizzas ! and perhaps the same goes for Chic-Fil-A.

Last edited:
We have three Chik-fil-a's here in Tulsa. Was going to go by and get a sandwich (they're pretty good), but I couldn't get into any of them. Saw on the news where the lines went around the block and it was taking several hours to get in and get served.

I think a man has a right to say what he wants. Regardless of whether it is PC or not... Rahm Emmanuel should worry about the murders in his city instead of worrying about Chicken.

"Support your local Chick-fil-a Day" was a huge success here in Albuquerque too and I think we too have three franchises. That people did stand in those long, long lines all day yesterday and the drive through lines extended for blocks at times actually warmed my heart. It is so encouraging to see so many people willing to stand up for a good and honorable principle.

However, I understand a counter demonstration is planned for Friday in which the OWS and others plan to demonstrate at the Chick-fil-a locations, using their vehicles to block and slow the drive throughs to a crawl, blocking access to the counters, etc. So if that actually does happen, silly season in America is still in full force.

Just the opposite. Those supporting Chick-fil-a showed us how many folks aren't bigots and allow people to be who they are whether they agree with a point of view or not. Maybe come Friday, we'll see if there are as many who are bigots that would deny somebody their livelihood just because they aren't politically correct.

It warms your heart to see that America is full of bigots?

The Pot and the Kettle

I guess it's cool that people applaud intolerance....

I'm not sure why you are so intolerant towards Muslims and Christians who believe what their holy books teach them that marriage is supposed to be between a man and a women.

Sure I disagree with them but I don't call them names and disparage them over having their own opinions based off of their religious values as you do. That is borderline bigotry you display ravi.

The Pot and the Kettle

I guess it's cool that people applaud intolerance....

I'm not sure why you are so intolerant towards Muslims and Christians who believe what their holy books teach them that marriage is supposed to be between a man and a women.

Sure I disagree with them but I don't call them names and disparage them over having their own opinions based off of their religious values as you do. That is borderline bigotry you display ravi.
The bible teaches nothing of the sort. I've no idea what the koran says.

Bigotry isn't excused because it has a religious background, btw.

The Pot and the Kettle

The bible teaches nothing of the sort. I've no idea what the koran says.

Bigotry isn't excused because it has a religious background, btw.

However religious freedom is a protected right and denegrating people for their values, be it pro-gay marriage values or pro-traditional marriage values, is bigoted either way.

Oh and i'm sure there is a bible fan in here who can give you several passages really fast showing that the bible is against homosexuality. And don't try to play that off as me supporting the bible saying that, I just accept that is their values and even though I disagree it doesn't mean they are bad people or bigots.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back