The Chick-Fil-A Controversy

Should a city deny a business license due to a 'wrong' political/social stance?

• Yes, I can see a justification for that.

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • No,I can't see a justification for that.

Votes: 69 84.1%
  • Other and I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 5 6.1%

• Total voters

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
NYC mayor: Chick-fil-A flap not govt's business | Fox News

Mayors of three cities--Boston, Chicago, and San Francisco--are on record that Chick-Fil-A franchises are not welcome in their cities because of Chick-Fil-A's support of traditional marriage and opposition to same sex marriage. Mayor Bloomberg of NYC is a strong advocate of same sex marriage but opposes restrictions on free enterprise based on political views.

The ACLU has gotten involved and though they too are strong advocates of same sex marriage, they oppose denying franchise privileges to Chick-Fil-A based on this issue. As they point out, if you can deny a business the right to do business based on their anti-gay marriage position, then there is nothing to deny a business the right to do business if it is pro same sex marriage.

Discuss and please try to keep it civil and on topic.

This is NOT about the pros and cons of same sex marriage, but rather the concept of denying a business ability to do business based purely on its social or political views.

Oh come on. There must still be a few folks interested in free speech issues wandering around the board.

To be honest Fox I have never had the chance to eat there and it would seem to me that in a free society that it should be up to the consumers to choose where they will and will not spend their money and not local or state Govts. Those local Govts. should never simply bar a business based on the convictions or beliefs of some especially if these companies are obeying all the laws needed to open a business in those states. Only then if the consumers choose not to partake in what they offer because of some conviction then so be it.

The thing is, PredFan, that there are a lot of very good, very sincere, very caring, very compassionate, and very thoughtful people on both sides of the issue of same sex marriage. But this issue is not about that. It could just as easily be pros and cons related to freedom of religion or gun rights or being pro or con legaliization of recreational drugs or the drinking age.

But as Navy commented on, the issue IS about whether any government entity, local, state, or federal, should approve or deny a business license to any business based on the political or social views of the management.

I had to answer 'other', as we do not have Chick-fil-A's out west. I could get jazzed about the contoversy if say, Inn-N'-Out Burger was involved.

I had to answer 'other', as we do not have Chick-fil-A's out west. I could get jazzed about the contoversy if say, Inn-N'-Out Burger was involved.

no chik fil A?? Now I love In and Out burgers but have to settle here for Five Guys. but dude,, seriously Chik fil A is da bomb. they have big waffle cut french fries..

no chik fil A?? Now I love In and Out burgers but have to settle here for Five Guys. but dude,, seriously Chik fil A is da bomb. they have big waffle cut french fries..

Five Guys blows. Most burger places in this town suck. But there is one...

And we have one Chick Fil A that I know of. Never been there.

I don't think they should prevent them from doing business in their city based on the CEO religious and moral views.
I won't support their business, but the government shouldn't be blockading someone based on their personal views.

NYC mayor: Chick-fil-A flap not govt's business | Fox News

Mayors of three cities--Boston, Chicago, and San Francisco--are on record that Chick-Fil-A franchises are not welcome in their cities because of Chick-Fil-A's support of traditional marriage and opposition to same sex marriage. Mayor Bloomberg of NYC is a strong advocate of same sex marriage but opposes restrictions on free enterprise based on political views.

The ACLU has gotten involved and though they too are strong advocates of same sex marriage, they oppose denying franchise privileges to Chick-Fil-A based on this issue. As they point out, if you can deny a business the right to do business based on their anti-gay marriage position, then there is nothing to deny a business the right to do business if it is pro same sex marriage.

Discuss and please try to keep it civil and on topic.

This is NOT about the pros and cons of same sex marriage, but rather the concept of denying a business ability to do business based purely on its social or political views.

Government should only have that power if I have the power to toss them in jail for whatever ridiculous thing they do. That's illegal restraint of trade at the least.

Chick-fil-a is closed Sundays. So, Liberals and God Damned Jews already aren't eating there.

If a business was racist, and made public their opinions on how they disliked black people and thought they should be slaves, I wouldn't expect that company to have permission to move into a town or city, so the same goes for being homophobic.

I think the abuse of zoning laws has gotten out of hand. Many places use zoning laws to deny things like Mosques and gay bars. So if the right wants to have a shit fit over the laws they use to discriminate, and they remove trhem because of the chick fil a thing and allow legitimate places of worship or gay businesses to open because they remove the ability for the public to use these laws to discriminate I say go for it chick fil a, make zoning laws free of discrimination against legitimate things.

If a business was racist, and made public their opinions on how they disliked black people and thought they should be slaves, I wouldn't expect that company to have permission to move into a town or city, so the same goes for being homophobic.

Do you dislike pedophiles?

Forum List

Back