The Chick-Fil-A Controversy

Should a city deny a business license due to a 'wrong' political/social stance?

• Yes, I can see a justification for that.

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • No,I can't see a justification for that.

Votes: 69 84.1%
  • Other and I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 5 6.1%

• Total voters
I've eaten at Chick-Fil-A and I can take it or leave it. It's OK, but I don't get like
hyper.gif
about it.

I admire them for standing by their principles. They could open on Sundays and make more money, but they're closed because they adhere to their Christian values. They put their money where their mouth is.

On the gay marriage issue, I don't believe in gay "marriage". Words have meaning and "marriage" is between a man and a woman. However, I have no issue with "civil unions" for gays. You can't legislate sexuality or morality.

That said, the government should never have been in the business of regulating marriage in the first place, nor should there have ever been a penalty or favoritism by taxation for being single or married. I'm a proponent of a flat or fair tax. Everybody pays the same rate whether you're married or single, rich or poor.

After a few thousand years of civilization and marriage being a man and a woman, all of a sudden everyone who believes marriage is a man and a woman are evil hateful bigots.

The left is very sick.

Within those few thousand years of civilization are periods of time when same sex relationships and marriages have been normalized and thought no different than any heterosexual relationship. Those civilizations have long ago turned to dust and the value of same sex relationships was never passed along. Out of all the civilizations that accepted homosexuality, not a single one ever kept it. It ends the same way, the slaughter of gays and shoving them back into the closet.

We won't be any different.

So why would you want our civilization to turn to dust?

After a few thousand years of civilization and marriage being a man and a woman, all of a sudden everyone who believes marriage is a man and a woman are evil hateful bigots.

The left is very sick.

Within those few thousand years of civilization are periods of time when same sex relationships and marriages have been normalized and thought no different than any heterosexual relationship. Those civilizations have long ago turned to dust and the value of same sex relationships was never passed along. Out of all the civilizations that accepted homosexuality, not a single one ever kept it. It ends the same way, the slaughter of gays and shoving them back into the closet.

I don't support same sex marriage because I understand that it is just another part of the disintegration of the nation. There are number of reasons why a civilization fails, not just the US but western civilization as a whole is falling to dust. What it does while it goes there is pretty horrendous, but it's something we will have to experience.

Populations that forget morality come to accept same-sex relationships. But, those same-sex relationships become so destructive to a society that eventually every society ends their experiment of tolerance of homo-perverts.

I don't support same sex marriage because I understand that it is just another part of the disintegration of the nation. There are number of reasons why a civilization fails, not just the US but western civilization as a whole is falling to dust. What it does while it goes there is pretty horrendous, but it's something we will have to experience.

I don't think we have to experience it. All we have to do is ignore the whiners and haters on the rabid sick left and never give them any position of authority over us again.

NYC mayor: Chick-fil-A flap not govt's business | Fox News

Mayors of three cities--Boston, Chicago, and San Francisco--are on record that Chick-Fil-A franchises are not welcome in their cities because of Chick-Fil-A's support of traditional marriage and opposition to same sex marriage. Mayor Bloomberg of NYC is a strong advocate of same sex marriage but opposes restrictions on free enterprise based on political views.

The ACLU has gotten involved and though they too are strong advocates of same sex marriage, they oppose denying franchise privileges to Chick-Fil-A based on this issue. As they point out, if you can deny a business the right to do business based on their anti-gay marriage position, then there is nothing to deny a business the right to do business if it is pro same sex marriage.

Discuss and please try to keep it civil and on topic.

This is NOT about the pros and cons of same sex marriage, but rather the concept of denying a business ability to do business based purely on its social or political views.

Next thing ya know, some cities might decide that restaurant owners can't allow smoking in their personally owned establishment. :eusa_whistle:

The CEO of Chick-fil-a is allowed to express his opinion, it's called "freedom of speech". According to the constitution, the government is not allowed to punish or restrict him for his speech.

Let me remind people of something,
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJhQBZ1La0w]Obama @ Saddleback Church -Defines Marriage - YouTube[/ame]
Barack Obama, "I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman"
Now then, Rahm Emanuel supported Mr Obama wholeheartedly when he made that statement. Today, Mr Rahm Emanuel is trying to punish and restrict Chick-fil-a for taking the exact same stance Mr Obama took not so long ago.
That is Hypocrisy with a capital H.

Gays go further than that. They not only want laws, but want to criminalize the very opinions and thoughts.

Not only would restaurants be prohibited from allowing smoking, but face penalties if they say in public that the law prohbiting smoking is a stupid law.

NYC mayor: Chick-fil-A flap not govt's business | Fox News

Mayors of three cities--Boston, Chicago, and San Francisco--are on record that Chick-Fil-A franchises are not welcome in their cities because of Chick-Fil-A's support of traditional marriage and opposition to same sex marriage. Mayor Bloomberg of NYC is a strong advocate of same sex marriage but opposes restrictions on free enterprise based on political views.

The ACLU has gotten involved and though they too are strong advocates of same sex marriage, they oppose denying franchise privileges to Chick-Fil-A based on this issue. As they point out, if you can deny a business the right to do business based on their anti-gay marriage position, then there is nothing to deny a business the right to do business if it is pro same sex marriage.

Discuss and please try to keep it civil and on topic.

This is NOT about the pros and cons of same sex marriage, but rather the concept of denying a business ability to do business based purely on its social or political views.

Next thing ya know, some cities might decide that restaurant owners can't allow smoking in their personally owned establishment. :eusa_whistle:

The CEO of Chick-fil-a is allowed to express his opinion, it's called "freedom of speech". According to the constitution, the government is not allowed to punish or restrict him for his speech.

Let me remind people of something,
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJhQBZ1La0w]Obama @ Saddleback Church -Defines Marriage - YouTube[/ame]
Barack Obama, "I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman"
Now then, Rahm Emanuel supported Mr Obama wholeheartedly when he made that statement. Today, Mr Rahm Emanuel is trying to punish and restrict Chick-fil-a for taking the exact same stance Mr Obama took not so long ago.
That is Hypocrisy with a capital H.

Yep. And I would love to know how much campaign money these hypocrites have taken from individuals who feel the same. Considering over half the country agrees with Chick fil a I'd surmise it is a considerable figure.

I love how people love to turn prejudice and discrimination into a positive thing. "He supports traditional marriage." Oh isn't that nice... he supports a husband and a wife having kids together and living in a nice cozy nuclear family.

Well fuck, I support that too. But I don't do what they do and make that also a definition for being opposed to gay marriage. I support both.

Lack of conviction ever wake you up?

The fence sitters in society, which you proclaim to be one, have no spine, choose one or the other...

We have become weak with our success, there is either right or wrong, not both, there is away to make a choice, it's called conviction...

Adherence to principle.....................

The thing is that if one entity or group is to be denied their livelihood because they are deemed 'politically incorrect', what is to prevent those tables to be turned? What if the pro traditional marriage group choose to boycott anybody who supported same sex marriage?

How manyof those condemning Chick-fil-a for their views would not be howling and outraged if a pro-gay-marriage position provoked a boycott or inspired a mayor to say the business was not welcome? If we believe in freedom of thought, freedom of speech, and freedom of religion, we can't apply it only to those who agree with us.

Last edited:
Chick Fil A would not even be in the news if Obama hadn't "evolved" on homo marriage.

That might be a small factor--I don't know--but this was a really hot button issue long before most of us knew there was an Obama. It has escalated once it was laid on the altar of political correctness and is amplified by the increasing popularity of intolerance for anything traditional.

Chick Fil A would not even be in the news if Obama hadn't "evolved" on homo marriage.

Doubtful.

I cannot imagine the Homo-dominated media/advertising industry ever passing on a chance to leap upon anything that may increase the public profile of Queerness.

That might be a small factor--I don't know--but this was a really hot button issue long before most of us knew there was an Obama. It has escalated once it was laid on the altar of political correctness and is amplified by the increasing popularity of intolerance for anything traditional.

I don't think there is an "increasing popularity .....for anything traditional."

The only proponents for this is the advertising/fashion industry, which controls the media. While it may be their wish to have everyone in a constant state of societal flux (and therefore constantly buying new stuff), it is an up-hill battle.

I don't think there is an "increasing popularity .....for anything traditional."

The only proponents for this is the advertising/fashion industry, which controls the media. While it may be their wish to have everyone in a constant state of societal flux (and therefore constantly buying new stuff), it is an up-hill battle.

Well I hope there is an increasing popularity for defense of the traditional. This Chick-fil-a controversy certainly seems to be generating a non violent backlash of those who do support either traditional marriage and/or protection of religious freedom and/or protection of freedom of speech.

But you see how the discussion is going. Those who defend the objecting mayors consider themselves the enlightened and open minded ones. And any who promote or defend traditional values are painted as bigots, narrow minded, rightwing extremists, and worse.

Well I hope there is an increasing popularity for defense of the traditional. This Chick-fil-a controversy certainly seems to be generating a non violent backlash of those who do support either traditional marriage and/or protection of religious freedom and/or protection of freedom of speech.

But you see how the discussion is going. Those who defend the objecting mayors consider themselves the enlightened and open minded ones. And any who promote or defend traditional values are painted as bigots, narrow minded, rightwing extremists, and worse.

Well crap Foxy. since when didn't they paint anything Republican white and Christian anything but "as bigots, narrow minded, rightwing extremists, and worse? Hell the TEA Party stands for TAXED ENOUGH ALREADY.. and look at the liberal shit that's been hurled at them.

Perhaps it would make you feel better to join the 16 million members of the Southern Babtist Church......my guess is they will be delighted to learn Queers will not be joining them for a Chic-Fil-A sammich.

Perhaps it would make you feel better to join the 16 million members of the Southern Babtist Church......my guess is they will be delighted to learn Queers will not be joining them for a Chic-Fil-A sammich.

No, I wouldn't make a very good Southern Baptist. Nor do I care about or even think about the sexual orientation of the people who do business with anybody. Unless it's a gay bar maybe; then it might cross my mind. I certainly do business with people who are flagrant and up front about pro gay issues such as Flying Star and I don't think about the sexual orientation of anybody who is in there for one of their specialities either.

Well we can certainly let them know how backwards they are. Societies as a whole have been evolving away from such throwback opinions.

Just like I'm not going to sit by with some old racist woman spouting shit with the comment of "Ohhh, well she lived in a different time!" as if that somehow justifies it.

why? you don't want a chirisitans beliefs shoved down your throat? what makes you think you have a right to shove your bullshit down a christians throat? hypocrite.

Man, always the phallic stuff with you people.

Ohhh, so I'm the bad one huh? Big ole bad me is trying to deprive a Christian's ability to impose his religious will on masses of people.

Oh and here's the key, just in case you haven't guessed it yet. I'm not talking about Chick-fil-a at all.

I love how people love to turn prejudice and discrimination into a positive thing. "He supports traditional marriage." Oh isn't that nice... he supports a husband and a wife having kids together and living in a nice cozy nuclear family.

Well fuck, I support that too. But I don't do what they do and make that also a definition for being opposed to gay marriage. I support both.

Lack of conviction ever wake you up?

The fence sitters in society, which you proclaim to be one, have no spine, choose one or the other...

We have become weak with our success, there is either right or wrong, not both, there is away to make a choice, it's called conviction...

Fence sitter? Are you SHITTING ME? Why the fuck is being accepting lf gay marriage and straight marriage having no spine?

I really don't think you thought about what you said. Sorry, but the world doesn't exist in whites and blacks, rights and wrongs. There are many shades of grey.

Not being a bigot is NOT fence sitting. You're calling me a fence sitter because I'm not on your side being a fucking backwards ass caveman? Yeah, okay.

Denial is the first sign, get help soon...

Besides, I wouldn't shit a Cowman...

And if you need to accept gay marriage, you've proven the point...

Forum List

Back