Stepping From Power Gracefully

The idea that a president is for some reason supposed to disappear from politics after his tenure is over is an invention of the Right solely manufactured for the purpose of bashing Democrats.

Another false choice (which seems to be the debate MO for progressives these days).

The two alternatives are not between shameless self-promotion & meddling vs. disappearing from politics.

There is a perfectly valid alternative of conducting oneself in a dignified manner while engaging in public and private works.
libbs have no class !! former presidents like GW Bush,Reagan,George Bush sr,or Ford didn't spout a bunch of shit about former and current presidents like current and former libb presidents do.

Last edited:
Rick Perry ran for president. Why is he still in politics? Ron Paul is still in politics. Mike Huckabee is on tv criticizing Obama every night. Why is John McCain in the Senate? Why is Michelle Bachmann still in Congress?

They all ran for president. According to the OP, if you've ever run for president, you have to get out of politics because if you don't you don't care about your country.

Well, why don't they?

Which one of the above was POTUS or even VP dumbass?

You moved the goalpost off VP when Cheney was mentioned. You moved it to 'ran for president'.

Now you want to move it back to VP?

Good. Let's talk about Cheney...who has repeatedly attacked Obama since he left office.

Why were you against the Iraq War?

Why aren't you complaining about the war in Afghanistan 24/7 like you were complaining about Iraq?

Why is it your posts are mostly Bull Shit?

Because I supported the Afghan war at the time.

Why do you support one war and not another?

Is Afghanistan a good war and Iraq was a bad war?

Seems to me we had the upper-hand in Iraq but now we don't have it in Afghanistan. We freed 25 million Iraqis from the oppression of a dictator worse than Mubarak, Qaddafi, or Assad. Why was invading Iraq terrible but Libya it's okay?

I opposed the Libya intervention.

Why did people support WWII but not Vietnam?

jimmy_carter.jpg
Al-Gores-global-warming1.jpg

There's something to be said for the politician who recognizes his time is over. His term of office is complete or the public has decided to go another way. I don't think Democrats consider this to be true. There's something to be said for stepping from power with grace and class but I don't think that message got threw to many on the left.

Jimmy Carter was a thorn in GWB's side and in the process has shown himself to be a classless fool. Al Gore is Jimmy Carter times ten. Bill Clinton has been taken in by the Bush family as a friend but that hasn't stopped him from criticizing Bush Jr on a regular basis. Former President Clinton surprisingly has shown more class than Carter and Gore combined even though he seems to be an active part of the current administration.

Contrast them with the way Reagan handled his retirement, or George H. W. Bush, or even George W. Bush. You never hear much about them or even Reagan when he was alive. You hear more of Reagan now that he's gone than you did before Alzheimer's took his memory from him. Romney hasn't been seen speaking in front of a camera since he lost the election.

Part of any great man's legacy is how he conducts himself once he leaves power. Once Obama finally leaves the White House I don't want to ever see his ugly mug ever again, but I'm afraid because he's an attention freak we'll never be rid of him. Why is this the case with Democrats and not Republicans? Why aren't Democrats more like George Washington, who retired to his home at Mount Vernon? Once he left office he left politics for good. Why can't they show some class and just leave?

To be honest, I believe the left feels politics is more important than the nation itself.

Don't we get a picture of Dick Cheney?

No, cuz he's dead. Always has been.

Even though he does finally have a pulse.

Creepy. Always has been.

Rick Perry ran for president. Why is he still in politics? Ron Paul is still in politics. Mike Huckabee is on tv criticizing Obama every night. Why is John McCain in the Senate? Why is Michelle Bachmann still in Congress?

They all ran for president. According to the OP, if you've ever run for president, you have to get out of politics because if you don't you don't care about your country.

Well, why don't they?

You were the one who mentioned Romney in the OP.... dumbass.

Here we have a legitimate topic about the proper public role of former Presidents and presidential candidates, and this is what you come up with? Dick Cheney (who has been undergoing serious medical treatment) and his daughter? Is there any topic that you Libtards can discuss honestly?

A) This is not a legitimate topic

B) If Al Gore is fair game, then Dick Cheney is definitely fair game

C) Cheney and his daughter did repeatedly criticize Obama's foregin policy during a time of war (something Republicans normally call unpatriotic). Do you call that graceful behavior?

So the only legit topic is about guns?

Al Gore ran for president dumb-ass.

Cheney has commented on the current administration but he never ran for president. Nether did his daughter. Cheney has for the most part kept his comments low-key and he hasn't accused Obama of treason or any other such hyperbole. Al Gore accused Bush of betraying the U.S.. Jimmy Carter has sided with Muslim terrorists against Bush with his support of Hamas. Hillary instead of leaving politics decided to put her name in the hat for Sec. of State and screwed that up royally. She has been a total disaster.

Jesus, get ahod of yourself there, buddy. I'm embarrassed FOR you.

w_toro_blk.jpg

Well, why don't they?

But you just told me that Al Gore is fair game because he ran for president. So now just being VP qualifies? I guess Cheney is back in the game. Unless you change your mind again.

[qu
Reminds me: The left claimed, during the Bush Admin, that "dissent is the highest form of patriotism".

You mean back when conservatives on a daily basis were calling me a traitor, or a terrorist sympathizer, or un-American, or hating the troops,

just because I opposed the Iraq War?

That Bush administration???
If you supported our nation's enemies, like so many on the left did, then yes, you were a traitor, or terrorist sympathizer, or un-American, or hated the troops.

Meanwhile, I've been called a traitor because I disagree with Obama, even though I'm not required to be loyal to Obama.

Last edited:
[qu
Reminds me: The left claimed, during the Bush Admin, that "dissent is the highest form of patriotism".

You mean back when conservatives on a daily basis were calling me a traitor, or a terrorist sympathizer, or un-American, or hating the troops,

If you supported our nation's enemies, like so many on the left did, then yes, you were a traitor, or terrorist sympathizer, or un-American, or hated the troops.

Meanwhile, I've been called a traitor because I disagree with Obama, even though I'm not required to be loyal to Obama.

not supporting an unnecessary war is patriotic.

Well, why don't they?

You moved the goalpost off VP when Cheney was mentioned. You moved it to 'ran for president'.

Now you want to move it back to VP?

Good. Let's talk about Cheney...who has repeatedly attacked Obama since he left office.

I wasn't who brought Cheney up in the first place asshole.

Supporting our nation's enemies is not.

Name a single establishment liberal who "supported" our enemy.

Easy.

John Murtha gave moral support to terroristsby lying about our Marines.

Code Pink?s Support for the Enemy

Heads Up... from Michael Moore | MichaelMoore.com
The Iraqis who have risen up against the occupation are not "insurgents" or "terrorists" or "The Enemy." They are the REVOLUTION, the Minutemen, and their numbers will grow -- and they will win.​

Ted Rall is full of praise for Iraqi terrorists.

Easy.

John Murtha gave moral support to terroristsby lying about our Marines.

Code Pink?s Support for the Enemy

Heads Up... from Michael Moore | MichaelMoore.com
The Iraqis who have risen up against the occupation are not "insurgents" or "terrorists" or "The Enemy." They are the REVOLUTION, the Minutemen, and their numbers will grow -- and they will win.​

Ted Rall is full of praise for Iraqi terrorists.

Code Pink, Michael Moore and Ted Rall aren't "establishment" liberals. John Murtha is, but he was criticizing an incident where we killed 8 insurgents and 15 civilians, some of them women and children. This during a war we never should have been in.

Reagan left in disgrace also. He and all concerned were pardoned for Iran Contra.

Sure he did.

If that's the case then Clinton left in disgrace.

Reagan was fighting Communism and Clinton was fighting the urge to whip his dick out every time he saw some trim he wanted to fuck.

Clinton got pardoned by the next president?

Bush I pardoned all involved in Iran Contra both indicted and unindicted. Which kinda included himself ;)

jimmy_carter.jpg

There's something to be said for the politician who recognizes his time is over. His term of office is complete or the public has decided to go another way. I don't think Democrats consider this to be true. There's something to be said for stepping from power with grace and class but I don't think that message got threw to many on the left.

Jimmy Carter was a thorn in GWB's side and in the process has shown himself to be a classless fool. Al Gore is Jimmy Carter times ten. Bill Clinton has been taken in by the Bush family as a friend but that hasn't stopped him from criticizing Bush Jr on a regular basis. Former President Clinton surprisingly has shown more class than Carter and Gore combined even though he seems to be an active part of the current administration.

Contrast them with the way Reagan handled his retirement, or George H. W. Bush, or even George W. Bush. You never hear much about them or even Reagan when he was alive. You hear more of Reagan now that he's gone than you did before Alzheimer's took his memory from him. Romney hasn't been seen speaking in front of a camera since he lost the election.

Part of any great man's legacy is how he conducts himself once he leaves power. Once Obama finally leaves the White House I don't want to ever see his ugly mug ever again, but I'm afraid because he's an attention freak we'll never be rid of him. Why is this the case with Democrats and not Republicans? Why aren't Democrats more like George Washington, who retired to his home at Mount Vernon? Once he left office he left politics for good. Why can't they show some class and just leave?

To be honest, I believe the left feels politics is more important than the nation itself.
Reagan was diagnosed with Alzheimer's shortly after he left office. That's why we didn't hear from him.
We hear plenty from Cheney, however.

jimmy_carter.jpg

Reagan was diagnosed with Alzheimer's shortly after he left office. That's why we didn't hear from him.
We hear plenty from Cheney, however.

Bush on the other hand never even endorsed one candidate?
Nor did any seek his endorsement?

Forum List

Back