Stepping From Power Gracefully

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
jimmy_carter.jpg
Al-Gores-global-warming1.jpg

There's something to be said for the politician who recognizes his time is over. His term of office is complete or the public has decided to go another way. I don't think Democrats consider this to be true. There's something to be said for stepping from power with grace and class but I don't think that message got threw to many on the left.

Jimmy Carter was a thorn in GWB's side and in the process has shown himself to be a classless fool. Al Gore is Jimmy Carter times ten. Bill Clinton has been taken in by the Bush family as a friend but that hasn't stopped him from criticizing Bush Jr on a regular basis. Former President Clinton surprisingly has shown more class than Carter and Gore combined even though he seems to be an active part of the current administration.

Contrast them with the way Reagan handled his retirement, or George H. W. Bush, or even George W. Bush. You never hear much about them or even Reagan when he was alive. You hear more of Reagan now that he's gone than you did before Alzheimer's took his memory from him. Romney hasn't been seen speaking in front of a camera since he lost the election.

Part of any great man's legacy is how he conducts himself once he leaves power. Once Obama finally leaves the White House I don't want to ever see his ugly mug ever again, but I'm afraid because he's an attention freak we'll never be rid of him. Why is this the case with Democrats and not Republicans? Why aren't Democrats more like George Washington, who retired to his home at Mount Vernon? Once he left office he left politics for good. Why can't they show some class and just leave?

To be honest, I believe the left feels politics is more important than the nation itself.

To be honest, I believe the left feels politics is more important than the nation itself.

No, that's just politicians and the way they are.
Reagan and H.W. Bush were satisfied with the way they left things, so they stepped out of the spotlight and let someone else have it. Bush Jr. left in disgrace, which is why you never hear from him either.

Bill still feels like he can do more good, which is why you hear from him... also, consider that his wife is in politics, so he would have a presence whether or not he liked it. He has to stay active or Hillary gets criticized.

Al-Gore felt like he was special because he "invented the internet" so I guess that does it for him.

I expect Obama will leave quietly and we'll hear little from him.

There's something to be said for the politician who recognizes his time is over. His term of office is complete or the public has decided to go another way. I don't think Democrats consider this to be true. There's something to be said for stepping from power with grace and class but I don't think that message got threw to many on the left.

Jimmy Carter was a thorn in GWB's side and in the process has shown himself to be a classless fool. Al Gore is Jimmy Carter times ten. Bill Clinton has been taken in by the Bush family as a friend but that hasn't stopped him from criticizing Bush Jr on a regular basis. Former President Clinton surprisingly has shown more class than Carter and Gore combined even though he seems to be an active part of the current administration.

Contrast them with the way Reagan handled his retirement, or George H. W. Bush, or even George W. Bush. You never hear much about them or even Reagan when he was alive. You hear more of Reagan now that he's gone than you did before Alzheimer's took his memory from him. Romney hasn't been seen speaking in front of a camera since he lost the election.

Part of any great man's legacy is how he conducts himself once he leaves power. Once Obama finally leaves the White House I don't want to ever see his ugly mug ever again, but I'm afraid because he's an attention freak we'll never be rid of him. Why is this the case with Democrats and not Republicans? Why aren't Democrats more like George Washington, who retired to his home at Mount Vernon? Once he left office he left politics for good. Why can't they show some class and just leave?

Obama is grooming himself for the UN.

Some presidents have respect and a bit of awe for the office - and realize it is bigger than they are.

Some don't. It's all about them - always has been and always will be.

jimmy_carter.jpg

Don't we get a picture of Dick Cheney?

Reagan was sick.

George H. W. Bush lost reelection. He didn't leave gracefully. He was booted out.

George W. Bush was thrown under the bus by the Republican establishment after his failure of an administration.

Jimmy Carter rightfully criticized George W. Bush.

Bill Clinton isn't surprising because his wife ran for president, and is part of the current administration.

Al Gore... well, he's just a jackass.

Edit: Romney lost. He had no power to step away from.

Last edited:
The idea that a president is for some reason supposed to disappear from politics after his tenure is over is an invention of the Right solely manufactured for the purpose of bashing Democrats.

Another false choice (which seems to be the debate MO for progressives these days).

The two alternatives are not between shameless self-promotion & meddling vs. disappearing from politics.

There is a perfectly valid alternative of conducting oneself in a dignified manner while engaging in public and private works.

jimmy_carter.jpg

When did Cheney run for president?

More examples of how Libtards are so fearful of admitting any flaws in their house-of-cards ideology, lest the whole thing comes crashing down. It must be stressful to be so intellectually dishonest.

Well, Progressivism is now a Faith-Based Religion, so they've bought into the whole blasphemy meme.

obama is setting up a lobbying group specifically to guide public opinion towards whatever he wants. In four years, he's betting that he can persuade enough people to keep him for life. To obama, he won't need to step from power gracefully, or step from power at all.

So, where does Dick Cheney fit in here? Didn't he -- along with his daughter, Liz -- criticize Obama's foreign policy repeatedly over his first term? During a time of war even. Republicans would usually call that unpatriotic. When a Republican is president, that is.

Once you have held the highest office in the land, if you haven't feathered your nest enough to retire, you are patently stupid.

jimmy_carter.jpg

When did Cheney run for president?

Running for president is now where the goalposts are?

lol, is there a name for your affliction?

The idea that a president is for some reason supposed to disappear from politics after his tenure is over is an invention of the Right solely manufactured for the purpose of bashing Democrats.

Another false choice (which seems to be the debate MO for progressives these days).

The two alternatives are not between shameless self-promotion & meddling vs. disappearing from politics.

There is a perfectly valid alternative of conducting oneself in a dignified manner while engaging in public and private works.

And hacks like you on the Right get to decide which is which, correct?

Jimmy Carter has had a better post Presidency than term. Clinton was successful in both arenas. Reagan did nothing and both Bushes have doubled his output. Being idle and wealthy seems to be a GOP desire.

No, that's just politicians and the way they are.
Reagan and H.W. Bush were satisfied with the way they left things, so they stepped out of the spotlight and let someone else have it. Bush Jr. left in disgrace, which is why you never hear from him either.

Bill still feels like he can do more good, which is why you hear from him... also, consider that his wife is in politics, so he would have a presence whether or not he liked it. He has to stay active or Hillary gets criticized.

Al-Gore felt like he was special because he "invented the internet" so I guess that does it for him.

I expect Obama will leave quietly and we'll hear little from him.

reagan stepped away because he had alzheimers

h.w. bush does what bill clinton does.. which is advancing causes that matter. if he isn't political, it's because he's old and sick.

clinton is awesome. the fact that he's still the most popular politician in the country irks the right.

i think you're totally wrong about president obama. there's a reason his campaign apparatus was turned into an organization to advance the president's political interests.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back