Stepping From Power Gracefully

To be honest, I believe the left feels politics is more important than the nation itself.

No, that's just politicians and the way they are.
Reagan and H.W. Bush were satisfied with the way they left things, so they stepped out of the spotlight and let someone else have it. Bush Jr. left in disgrace, which is why you never hear from him either.

Bill still feels like he can do more good, which is why you hear from him... also, consider that his wife is in politics, so he would have a presence whether or not he liked it. He has to stay active or Hillary gets criticized.

Al-Gore felt like he was special because he "invented the internet" so I guess that does it for him.

I expect Obama will leave quietly and we'll hear little from him.

reagan stepped away because he had alzheimers

h.w. bush does what bill clinton does.. which is advancing causes that matter. if he isn't political, it's because he's old and sick.

clinton is awesome. the fact that he's still the most popular politician in the country irks the right.

Not true, it's because he has a lot of class, just like his son does.

Reagan was sick.

George H. W. Bush lost reelection. He didn't leave gracefully. He was booted out.

George W. Bush was thrown under the bus by the Republican establishment after his failure of an administration.

Jimmy Carter rightfully criticized George W. Bush.

Bill Clinton isn't surprising because his wife ran for president, and is part of the current administration.

Al Gore... well, he's just a jackass.

Edit: Romney lost. He had no power to step away from.

Aside from the Al Gore crack..I agree with ya.

:thup:

Reagan and H.W. Bush were satisfied with the way they left things, so they stepped out of the spotlight and let someone else have it. Bush Jr. left in disgrace, which is why you never hear from him either.

Bill still feels like he can do more good, which is why you hear from him... also, consider that his wife is in politics, so he would have a presence whether or not he liked it. He has to stay active or Hillary gets criticized.

Al-Gore felt like he was special because he "invented the internet" so I guess that does it for him.

h.w. bush does what bill clinton does.. which is advancing causes that matter. if he isn't political, it's because he's old and sick.

clinton is awesome. the fact that he's still the most popular politician in the country irks the right.

Which son?

Reagan was sick.

George H. W. Bush lost reelection. He didn't leave gracefully. He was booted out.

George W. Bush was thrown under the bus by the Republican establishment after his failure of an administration.

Jimmy Carter rightfully criticized George W. Bush.

Bill Clinton isn't surprising because his wife ran for president, and is part of the current administration.

Al Gore... well, he's just a jackass.

Edit: Romney lost. He had no power to step away from.

^^this pretty much sums it up.

So, where does Dick Cheney fit in here? Didn't he -- along with his daughter, Liz -- criticize Obama's foreign policy repeatedly over his first term? During a time of war even. Republicans would usually call that unpatriotic. When a Republican is president, that is.

Here we have a legitimate topic about the proper public role of former Presidents and presidential candidates, and this is what you come up with? Dick Cheney (who has been undergoing serious medical treatment) and his daughter? Is there any topic that you Libtards can discuss honestly?

that's not class, honey. it's him being poison b/c he was such a failure.

obama is setting up a lobbying group specifically to guide public opinion towards whatever he wants. In four years, he's betting that he can persuade enough people to keep him for life. To obama, he won't need to step from power gracefully, or step from power at all.

I'm guessing you were one of those who thought Obama would institute martial law, because he was going to lose so bad in 2012. There is a conspiracy theory board for posts like this.

bullshit, he could be out criticizing obummer for all his stupidity but because he has class he won't do it. now obummer on the other hand has done nothing but blame bush for his own shortcomings.

To be honest, I believe the left feels politics is more important than the nation itself.

obama? Leave quietly? Not unless whoever handcuffs him, gags him as well.

obama is setting up a lobbying group specifically to guide public opinion towards whatever he wants. In four years, he's betting that he can persuade enough people to keep him for life. To obama, he won't need to step from power gracefully, or step from power at all.
Following Hugo Chavez' career, is he? :rolleyes:

jimmy_carter.jpg
Al-Gores-global-warming1.jpg

There's something to be said for the politician who recognizes his time is over. His term of office is complete or the public has decided to go another way. I don't think Democrats consider this to be true. There's something to be said for stepping from power with grace and class but I don't think that message got threw to many on the left.

Jimmy Carter was a thorn in GWB's side and in the process has shown himself to be a classless fool. Al Gore is Jimmy Carter times ten. Bill Clinton has been taken in by the Bush family as a friend but that hasn't stopped him from criticizing Bush Jr on a regular basis. Former President Clinton surprisingly has shown more class than Carter and Gore combined even though he seems to be an active part of the current administration.

Contrast them with the way Reagan handled his retirement, or George H. W. Bush, or even George W. Bush. You never hear much about them or even Reagan when he was alive. You hear more of Reagan now that he's gone than you did before Alzheimer's took his memory from him. Romney hasn't been seen speaking in front of a camera since he lost the election.

Part of any great man's legacy is how he conducts himself once he leaves power. Once Obama finally leaves the White House I don't want to ever see his ugly mug ever again, but I'm afraid because he's an attention freak we'll never be rid of him. Why is this the case with Democrats and not Republicans? Why aren't Democrats more like George Washington, who retired to his home at Mount Vernon? Once he left office he left politics for good. Why can't they show some class and just leave?

It's not because they take stances you vehemently disagree with, is it?

So, where does Dick Cheney fit in here? Didn't he -- along with his daughter, Liz -- criticize Obama's foreign policy repeatedly over his first term? During a time of war even. Republicans would usually call that unpatriotic. When a Republican is president, that is.

Here we have a legitimate topic about the proper public role of former Presidents and presidential candidates, and this is what you come up with? Dick Cheney (who has been undergoing serious medical treatment) and his daughter? Is there any topic that you Libtards can discuss honestly?

A) This is not a legitimate topic

B) If Al Gore is fair game, then Dick Cheney is definitely fair game

C) Cheney and his daughter did repeatedly criticize Obama's foregin policy during a time of war (something Republicans normally call unpatriotic). Do you call that graceful behavior?

Mudwhistle said:

There may come a day when you realize the left feels the same way about the right. Only then will you reach non-partisan enlightenment. :thup:

When you hear a leftist claim someone hates America, they mean that person disagrees with the leftist agenda.

They keep confusing the two.

The same can be said about people on the right as well. How many times were critics of the Iraq War and Patriot Act labeled as "unAmerican" or "unpatriotic" by the neocons?

obama? Leave quietly? Not unless whoever handcuffs him, gags him as well.

Please don't shatter my dream.

I met President Bush 41 when I was working the ramp at Continental, he came down to his waiting suburban with his wife and her dog. I grabbed his bags and was going to carry them to the truck but he took them from me and said "that's alright son, I can take them from here, you have other people's bags to worry about...thank you son."....... I also saw Speaker of the House Boehner get on a small Embraer that Continental Express was flying, heading to Philli, no entourage, just he and his assistant and 1 secret service man.
Contrast that with that imbecile Sheila Jackson Lee yelling in the concourse for a couple of people movers for her entourage of 7 tacky assed dimwits acting just as catty.
George W. Bush has raised millions for wounded veterans and has hosted golf tournaments and bike rides all around Texas and those guys and gals love him. They love him because he treats them as equals, doesn't coddle them no matter how horrific the injury and has become friends with them all. He had September 11th, 2001 to deal with in the infancy of his Presidency, Algore would have shit himself...... he spent too much money and let the Democrat party get away with too much but he was hardly a failure as President. Now go ahead and say the predictable bullshit about him.

When you hear a leftist claim someone hates America, they mean that person disagrees with the leftist agenda.

The same can be said about people on the right as well. How many times were critics of the Iraq War and Patriot Act labeled as "unAmerican" or "unpatriotic" by the neocons?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOGWbzUM-y8]I know you are but what am I? - Pee-Wee's Big Adventure - YouTube[/ame]

True enough. But I saved those labels only for those who were actively rooting for our enemies.

I'm sure you agree that supporting our enemies is indeed unAmerican and unpatriotic.

Reminds me: The left claimed, during the Bush Admin, that "dissent is the highest form of patriotism".

Now, with Obama in office, it's sometimes labeled "treason".

Forum List

Back