Rep. Trent Franks (R-AZ) Expected To Resign From Congress

Good to see that both parties are finally policing their own.

Trent Franks, Arizona Republican, to resign after sexual harassment claim - CNNPolitics

Arizona Republican Rep. Trent Franks announced in a statement Thursday night he will resign from Congress at the end of January, after the House Ethics Committee said it would investigate allegations against him of sexual harassment.

The House Ethics Committee announced earlier Thursday that it will investigate Franks to determine if he engaged in "conduct that constitutes sexual harassment and/or retaliation for opposing sexual harassment."

In his statement, Franks acknowledged he made staffers "uncomfortable" and that he discussed fertility issues and surrogacy with two female staffers, but denied having ever "physically intimidated, coerced, or had, or attempted to have, any sexual contact with any member of my congressional staff."
He's suing these women and rightly so. It was a discussion, in a group setting, of the legal foundation of surrogacy.

Women are going to complain themselves right out of a job.

Trent Franks, Arizona Republican, to resign after sexual harassment claim - CNNPolitics

Arizona Republican Rep. Trent Franks announced in a statement Thursday night he will resign from Congress at the end of January, after the House Ethics Committee said it would investigate allegations against him of sexual harassment.

The House Ethics Committee announced earlier Thursday that it will investigate Franks to determine if he engaged in "conduct that constitutes sexual harassment and/or retaliation for opposing sexual harassment."

In his statement, Franks acknowledged he made staffers "uncomfortable" and that he discussed fertility issues and surrogacy with two female staffers, but denied having ever "physically intimidated, coerced, or had, or attempted to have, any sexual contact with any member of my congressional staff."
He's suing these women and rightly so. It was a discussion, in a group setting, of the legal foundation of surrogacy.

hmmm....so you are excusing him. Is Franken excused?

Actually I suspect it's MORE then just a surrogacy conversation or he would not have resigned.

Talking surrogacy and miscarriages with staff. Not proper.

Squeamish to say the least.

You can tell he didn't mean anything by it but the lack of understanding on how the conversations might be perceived really opens the door here for the need of serious managerial classes to be given to Congress critters and Senators.

I assume many have not been in a "managerial position" before and they need to get up to speed because in effect they are the managers of their hill staff. Bring in professionals to train them properly how to conduct themselves.

Actually I suspect it's MORE then just a surrogacy conversation or he would not have resigned.

I suspect the resignation had more to do with the lawsuit.

Women are going to find themselves as excluded as they were in 1950. And rightly so. The complaint these women have is that they were uncomfortable. Not harassed, not assaulted, not victims of misbehavior, not touched, not groped, not invited out and no one blew in their ear. If there is the same kind of case against Franken, he should not have resigned.

There was a conversation. These two women were uncomfortable with the subject matter.

Taking this at face value, women will be excluded from any venue that might induce uncomfortable speech. No more women in criminal law. No more women in medicine, a doctor might say "penis " in her presence.

Actually, I cannot think of a public square where women's shell like dainty ears would not be subject to any unmentionable.

Talking surrogacy and miscarriages with staff. Not proper.

Squeamish to say the least.

You can tell he didn't mean anything by it but the lack of understanding on how the conversations might be perceived really opens the door here for the need of serious managerial classes to be given to Congress critters and Senators.

I assume many have not been in a "managerial position" before and they need to get up to speed because in effect they are the managers of their hill staff. Bring in professionals to train them properly how to conduct themselves.
You don't know what happened. A constituent might have written to his congressman with a complaint about a surrogacy issue.

Many times a supervisor will discuss issues with staff getting their opinion or view point.

Women should just be told to leave the room when there is mantalk going on.

Women are going to find themselves as excluded as they were in 1950. And rightly so. The complaint these women have is that they were uncomfortable. Not harassed, not assaulted, not victims of misbehavior, not touched, not groped, not invited out and no one blew in their ear. If there is the same kind of case against Franken, he should not have resigned.

There was a conversation. These two women were uncomfortable with the subject matter.

Taking this at face value, women will be excluded from any venue that might induce uncomfortable speech. No more women in criminal law. No more women in medicine, a doctor might say "penis " in her presence.

Actually, I cannot think of a public square where women's shell like dainty ears would not be subject to any unmentionable.

It wasn't just a conversation, it was about him asking two different staffers to be surrogates, which is kind of an odd thing to ask your congressional staff to do. We also don't have a lot of information about the specifics of the conversation, so we don't exactly know what level of help he was asking for.

True to an extent. Franks is nothing more than a back bencher. Until the GOP does something about Moore who is accused of the very worst then it's a rather anemic response by Republicans.

It wasn't just a conversation, it was about him asking two different staffers to be surrogates, which is kind of an odd thing to ask your congressional staff to do. We also don't have a lot of information about the specifics of the conversation, so we don't exactly know what level of help he was asking for.
Women are no longer equipped for the workplace. They are too delicate.

Women are no longer equipped for the workplace. They are too delicate.

I know, how dare they think they can go into their place of work without being solicited for breeding.

5a29b0681e000027000c2af3.jpeg

Franks is a social conservative known for co-sponsoring anti-abortion legislation.

Rep. Trent Franks (R-Ariz.) is expected to resign from Congress, Roll Call and Politico reported Thursday.

Franks told Roll Call he would make an announcement later Thursday, but did not elaborate on what it would entail.

“The statement will explain,” he said.

Franks huddled with colleagues on the House floor late Thursday afternoon. Rep. Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) had his arm wrapped around Franks, appearing to be consoling him.

According to Roll Call, rumors of inappropriate behavior circulated before Franks’ announcement.

The eight-term congressman is a social conservative and one of the most aggressive anti-abortion legislators in Congress. He has led the charge, year after year, to ban abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy nationwide and to limit abortion in the District of Columbia. Residents of D.C. protested his efforts in 2012 by lining up outside the Arizona congressman’s office with plastic rats and photos of pot holes, suggesting that he try to fix more pressing problems in the city than women having abortions.

Franks also caused an uproar in 2013 when he claimed during an abortion debate that the “incidence of rape resulting in pregnancy are very low,” defending his bill’s lack of an exception for rape and incest victims.

The congressman is notorious for comparing abortion to slavery and the Holocaust.

Trent Franks Expected To Resign From Congress

Arizona’s Trent Franks Expected to Resign

Rep. Trent Franks expected to resign

This makes my day! Another rabid anti-choice lunatic will be gone from Congress.

If there is proof he needs to go. Just like Franken and Conyers.

and Trump...

Sad little person....locker room talk....nope. :( Conyers had multiple payoffs at taxpayer expense of his sexual perversions. Franken has photo evidence.

There is zero evidence regarding Trump unless you have something? :lol:

The Democratic party as with the RINO's of the GOP are in a inescapable death spiral. As these investigations and disclosures expose the extent of corruption and moral decadence is vast.

The Democratic party as with the RINO's of the GOP are in a inescapable death spiral. As these investigations and disclosures expose the extent of corruption and moral decadence is vast.

In other words - you think the dumb and retarded will inherit the earth. Sweet dreams...

buh bye, Alexanderful

You don't get to make staff feel uncomfortable on non work related stuff

That's not part of your managerial remit

OK..seriously all partisanship aside. Some things said/done are so clearly over the line that even one instance is too many. But in other cases the offended party needs to say they are offended and ask a person to stop...which they generally should. This just doesn't seem too bad on the surface but maybe he resigned real quick because there is a more to the story that he wants everyone to stop digging.

i liked Wacky Trent Franks. i love all the crazies!

it's just the beginning. more Congressmen, both Democrat and Republican, are sure to follow.

buh bye, Alexanderful

You don't get to make staff feel uncomfortable on non work related stuff

That's not part of your managerial remit

OK..seriously all partisanship aside. Some things said/done are so clearly over the line that even one instance is too many. But in other cases the offended party needs to say they are offended and ask a person to stop...which they generally should. This just doesn't seem too bad on the surface but maybe he resigned real quick because there is a more to the story that he wants everyone to stop digging.

Maybe it is the victim's fault....:dunno:

Forum List

Back