Rap Music

Best rapper white? I hope you are talking about Eminem. He is good but he wouldn't crack the top ten all time.
I'm out of my element here, but I'm pretty sure Eminem is at the top of the food chain in the rap world.

In terms of total sales as a lifetime rapper he probably is. He has sold more that Tupac and he is not even in Tupacs league. As far as talent rapping he is not in the top ten IMO and there are some more youngsters coming that may surpass him. What I like about him is his dedication to the art of rap. He studies the greats. Anyone saying he cant rap at all is obviously nuts. Some people don't like that he is white but you have to give credit where it is due. Its not his fault he is marketed over better rappers. That's just business.

The thing about Eminem is that he was real. He knows he was successful because he would appeal to white kids and even admitted it in the song White America.

Look at these eyes, baby blue, baby just like yourself, if they were brown, Shady lose, Shady
Sits on the shelf, but Shady's cute, Shady knew, Shady's dimple's would help, make ladies swoon
Baby, {ooh baby}, look at my sales, let's do the math, if I was black, I would've sold half, I
Ain't have to graduate from Lincoln high school to know that, but I could rap, so fuck school,
I'm too cool to go back, gimme the mic, show me where the fuckin' studio's at, when I was
Underground, no one gave a fuck I was white, no labels wanted to sign me, almost gave up, I was
Like, fuck it, until I met Dre, the only one to look past, gave me a chance, and I lit a fire up
Under his ass, helped him get back to the top, every fan black that I got, was probably his in
Exchange for every white fan that he's got, like damn, we just swapped, sittin' back lookin' at
Shit, wow, I'm like my skin is it starting to work to my benefit now,

Last edited:
I wonder what the next musical genre will get labeled as destroying America? I am still shocked America survived the onslaught of jazz and rock and roll.
Rap music glorifies gangs, guns, mistreating women, fighting, prison and crime in general. We arent talking about one band or one song, the entire rap industry is plagued with these bad messages. What negative messages did jazz and rock send on a regular basis? Drug use? Nope, you will only find a fraction of rock songs that talk about drugs, and most of those are songs of caution about how bad drugs are.

Rap is a completely different animal, and youre being dumb if you try to compare it to rock and roll. That is just absurd.

If you think the entire genre glorifies what you state then you clearly have listened to much rap. While Rap is different then Rock and Roll the same knee jerk, "it's destroying our culture, the youth, and the America" reaction is being employed. Same pearl clutching hyperbole just a different genre/decade. It is just a lazy excuse for people looking to blame the ills of society on.

Beastie Boys are the best rap group of all-time.

:thanks:
Rap music glorifies gangs, guns, mistreating women, fighting, prison and crime in general. We arent talking about one band or one song, the entire rap industry is plagued with these bad messages. What negative messages did jazz and rock send on a regular basis? Drug use? Nope, you will only find a fraction of rock songs that talk about drugs, and most of those are songs of caution about how bad drugs are.

Rap is a completely different animal, and youre being dumb if you try to compare it to rock and roll. That is just absurd.
Oh yeah? Then how do you explain this?

The Beastie Boys are destroying America and it's youth. They are actively encouraging people to fight for this alleged right to party. Show me where in the Constitution there is a "right to party"? :biggrin:

Probably best Jay-Z song ever about establishing legacy. A colab with Mr Hudson. The entire song is flawless. Music starts a 1:05

Fear not when, fear not why,
Fear not much while were alive,
Life is for living not living up tight,
See ya somewhere up in the sky,
Fear not die, I'll be alive for a million years, bye bye,
So not for legends, I'm forever young
My name shall survive
Through the darkest blocks, over kitchen stoves,
Over Pyrex pots, my name shall be passed down to generations
While debating up in barber shops, young slung, hung here,
Shorty, the nigga from here
With a little ambition just what we can become here,
And as the father passed his story down to his sons ears,
Younger kid, younger every year, yeah
So if you love me baby this is how you let me know.
Don’t ever let me go, thats how you let me know, baby,

Last edited:
Calling Rap "Music" is giving rap more credit that is due.
Rap is nothing more than a more macho version of hip hop sung by wanna be thugs.

Probably best Jay-Z song ever about establishing legacy. A colab with Mr Hudson. The entire song is flawless. Music starts a 1:05

Fear not when, fear not why,
Fear not much while were alive,
Life is for living not living up tight,
See ya somewhere up in the sky,
Fear not die, I'll be alive for a million years, bye bye,
So not for legends, I'm forever young
My name shall survive
Through the darkest blocks, over kitchen stoves,
Over Pyrex pots, my name shall be passed down to generations
While debating up in barber shops, young slung, hung here,
Shorty, the nigga from here
With a little ambition just what we can become here,
And as the father passed his story down to his sons ears,
Younger kid, younger every year, yeah
So if you love me baby this is how you let me know.
Don’t ever let me go, thats how you let me know, baby,

JAY-Z's a self-inflated douchesack. I caught a part of his show on TV, no band, no songs, just him standing around. Pretty lame. Like Kanye West-Hollywood. All fluff.

One of the realest raps and rappers of all time. Tupac in his post humous hit Changes

I see no changes. All I see is racist faces.
Misplaced hate makes disgrace to races we under.
I wonder what it takes to make this one better place...
let's erase the wasted.
Take the evil out the people, they'll be acting right.
'Cause both black and white are smokin' crack tonight.
And only time we chill is when we kill each other.
It takes skill to be real, time to heal each other.
And although it seems heaven sent,
we ain't ready to see a black President, uhh.
It ain't a secret don't conceal the fact...
the penitentiary's packed, and it's filled with blacks.
But some things will never change.
Try to show another way, but they stayin' in the dope game.
Now tell me what's a mother to do?
Bein' real don't appeal to the brother in you.
You gotta operate the easy way.
"I made a G today" But you made it in a sleazy way.
Sellin' crack to the kids. "I gotta get paid,"
Well hey, well that's the way it is.

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but many of the adjectives the OP used to describe (some) Rap also describe (some) other genres to a t as well.

It's not as prevalent in, say, rock because the lyrics are more colored with sophistry, but mean the same things.

I don't know if this music is solely responsible for the negative aspects of black culture or whether it'a the culture that has affected the music. That kind of goes into the whole chicken and the egg thing. Anyway even if we can't say rap music is at the root of the problem for sure, it should be agreed that ,in the least, it's helping to perpetuate a broken culture. It's not just blacks, many other groups are also effected negatively by this music. The music glorifies violence, materialism, crime, thuggish behavior, drug use, etc. Promotes misogyny, bigotry, speaking improper English, etc. Rappers are the ones that are immersed in the culture more than anyone. They've been able to profit monetarily greatly from this culture, yet despite their personal financial success many of them still can't stay out of trouble. Too many people, mostly black youth, try to emulate these people and it's a big problem in our society.

Here's a list of rapper currently in prison
Rappers in Jail - Complete List of Rappers in Prison

Might wanna look into the history of scapegoating music for various social complaints. Rap isn't the first to be used as such. Heavy metal got blamed for things as well and before that jazz.

Rap music is the express lane to destroying black culture.
You can only conclude this on the basis of projection.

Do you get influenced by violent movies, sports and video games?

Do you lose your culture because of them?

Do the shows you watch on television shape your entire essence?

If not? Why on earth would rap music be guiding anything black people actually do?

Please. Rap music is vile and a cancer to our society. Instead of focusing on what people said let's look at the face value of what's being said in those rap lyrics. Compare that to any other genre of music if you want. Tell me how rap music stacks up. Oldschool, you're just another guy that wants to make excuses for and ignore problems with black culture.

They used to say that about jazz music.
They used to say about rock music.

Again, so what? Compare rap lyrics at face value to rock lyrics at face value. Tell me what your conclusion is. Rap is obviously much worse than any genre of music in world history.

You've never read any death metal or grindcore or similar genre lyrics, have you? ;)

I don't know if this music is solely responsible for the negative aspects of black culture or whether it'a the culture that has affected the music. That kind of goes into the whole chicken and the egg thing. Anyway even if we can't say rap music is at the root of the problem for sure, it should be agreed that ,in the least, it's helping to perpetuate a broken culture. It's not just blacks, many other groups are also effected negatively by this music. The music glorifies violence, materialism, crime, thuggish behavior, drug use, etc. Promotes misogyny, bigotry, speaking improper English, etc. Rappers are the ones that are immersed in the culture more than anyone. They've been able to profit monetarily greatly from this culture, yet despite their personal financial success many of them still can't stay out of trouble. Too many people, mostly black youth, try to emulate these people and it's a big problem in our society.

Here's a list of rapper currently in prison
Rappers in Jail - Complete List of Rappers in Prison

Might wanna look into the history of scapegoating music for various social complaints. Rap isn't the first to be used as such. Heavy metal got blamed for things as well and before that jazz.

I remember Judas Priest and Ozzy being blamed for some suicides, even going to trial for it.

Forum List

Back