Ohio Dem seeks to legislate triple pay for retail workers on holidays

Thanksgiving is perhaps the only major celebration holiday in the United States that possesses a decidedly American and secular purpose. Actually, scratch that. It's one of two, New Years being the second. Point is, I find it perfectly acceptable for a state government to mandate private businesses to pay a reasonable holiday pay for these limited examples.

except the examples are never limited, and the state will expand the extra pay to more and more situations, because of course, its not thier money.

These slippery slope fallacies are always foolish. If this is the position you are going to take, then you must demand complete and total anarchy. The dissolution of all government, period. Reasonable laws of limited applicability do not cease to be reasonable simply because a different law of wide applicability is unreasonable.
Unfortunately there is never a limit to these 'benevolent' laws passed in the interest of those less fortunate or to benefit a particular class of people.
So yes, this is a slippery slope...
I can almost guarantee that IF this is ever to become law, every union leader of every union representing public employees as well as unions representing nurses, airport workers and anyone else who must work holidays will scream a collective "ME TOO!!!!!"
Yeah, so it IS a slippery slope.
If you work a holiday you should be paid extra, and I don't care who you are or who you work for. Pay up you cheap bastards.
And the money comes from where?
You don't think the business won't pass the additional cost to the consumer?
How often do you look in the mirror and exclaim "How stupid do you think I am"..
Look, moron. I know your game. I got your number.
You post garbage on here just to get a rise from people.
I think you are a bitter sad individual with no life and indoor plumbing problems.
You're easy.

Okay morons, here's the game. There are two of you. I give one of you ten dollars. He then can give any or all of that to the other guy who has to accept the deal or neither of you get anything. So, think like an economist, for once, and tell me what's the lowest offer you will take, from one cent to ten dollars?

I wonder how many businesses this pampered elected idiot owns? Millions of people out of work and he's worried about this

SNIP:
Hi. I’m from the government and I’m here to help.

Nobody likes working on the holidays. I’ve had to do it myself back in the day (and I wasn’t even in retail) and it’s no fun. But at least in Ohio, workers who do get called in on Thanksgiving may be cashing in big if some Democrats get their way. It seems that if retailers need their employees to work on Thanksgiving (or other holidays) the state may force them to triple their wages.

A lawmaker in Ohio wants stores in the state to pay triple wages for employees who work on Thanksgiving ? an effort that comes as Macy’s, the holiday’s quintessential retailer, is allowing its workers to choose whether to work that day.

Both are attempts to counter frustration among workers and their families over holiday store hours that have expanded into the holiday.

State Rep. Mike Foley, a Democrat from Cleveland, said his bill would allow employees to bow out of the holiday shift without job sanctions while protecting family time from excessive consumerism.

It comes after a federal complaint filed earlier this year accused Wal-Mart of illegally firing, disciplining or threatening more than 60 employees in 14 states for participating in protests over wages and working conditions…

Foley said the idea for his bill came from a call last year from a Cincinnati woman who said both she and her 82-year-old mother had been scheduled to work their retail jobs on Thanksgiving.

“I was offended by it,” he said. “Can’t there be one day that’s carved out of this consumerist, materialistic society we’re living in?”

This is actually a totally separate issue from the federal minimum wage fight, though some will obviously try to conflate the two.

This is a move to have the state government reach far deeper into the day to day operations of businesses and micromanage their personnel policies. The proposed legislation would apply to not only specific days and times, but only a single sector of the workforce.

Businesses of all kinds have to decide when and how to offer their products and services in a way which still produces a profit. (There’s that nasty P word again, though progressives hate to hear it. It’s still a requirement to sustain private enterprise.)

ALL of it here:
Ohio Dem seeks to legislate triple pay for retail workers on holidays Hot Air
The more you make on overtime is taxed at a higher bracket. of course he would want this.
If you work more than 50 hours a week you'll bring home less money than working less than 50 hours a week.
Yeah....For example take someone at $12 per hour. Triple it to $36....For tax purposes, The IRS sees someone who is paid $36 per hour . There goes HALF of their earnings.
It doesn't work that way idiot. And even if it did they'd still be ahead. God you people are morons.
unfortunately it does work that way.

Americans suck.

You are welcome to get the fuck out.
It's my country, now get the fuck out of it and take the rest of the morons with you. I no longer need you to plow the fields and dig the ditches.

:lame2:
No, it's such a terrible place now, because of the damn liberals, who founded it, that you should leave or form your own country, which makes what I said Truth.
You would not recognize a fact or truth if someone dropped it on your head.

Thanksgiving is perhaps the only major celebration holiday in the United States that possesses a decidedly American and secular purpose. Actually, scratch that. It's one of two, New Years being the second. Point is, I find it perfectly acceptable for a state government to mandate private businesses to pay a reasonable holiday pay for these limited examples.

except the examples are never limited, and the state will expand the extra pay to more and more situations, because of course, its not thier money.

These slippery slope fallacies are always foolish. If this is the position you are going to take, then you must demand complete and total anarchy. The dissolution of all government, period. Reasonable laws of limited applicability do not cease to be reasonable simply because a different law of wide applicability is unreasonable.
Unfortunately there is never a limit to these 'benevolent' laws passed in the interest of those less fortunate or to benefit a particular class of people.
I can almost guarantee that IF this is ever to become law, every union leader of every union representing public employees as well as unions representing nurses, airport workers and anyone else who must work holidays will scream a collective "ME TOO!!!!!"
If you work a holiday you should be paid extra, and I don't care who you are or who you work for. Pay up you cheap bastards.
How often do you look in the mirror and exclaim "How stupid do you think I am"..
I think you are a bitter sad individual with no life and indoor plumbing problems.
You're easy.
IF THE CUSTOMER is DEMANDING that the stores be opened on Holidays as some here claim, then they won't mind paying a penny or two more in price.... right?

I wonder how many businesses this pampered elected idiot owns? Millions of people out of work and he's worried about this

SNIP:

Nobody likes working on the holidays. I’ve had to do it myself back in the day (and I wasn’t even in retail) and it’s no fun. But at least in Ohio, workers who do get called in on Thanksgiving may be cashing in big if some Democrats get their way. It seems that if retailers need their employees to work on Thanksgiving (or other holidays) the state may force them to triple their wages.

A lawmaker in Ohio wants stores in the state to pay triple wages for employees who work on Thanksgiving ? an effort that comes as Macy’s, the holiday’s quintessential retailer, is allowing its workers to choose whether to work that day.

Both are attempts to counter frustration among workers and their families over holiday store hours that have expanded into the holiday.

State Rep. Mike Foley, a Democrat from Cleveland, said his bill would allow employees to bow out of the holiday shift without job sanctions while protecting family time from excessive consumerism.

It comes after a federal complaint filed earlier this year accused Wal-Mart of illegally firing, disciplining or threatening more than 60 employees in 14 states for participating in protests over wages and working conditions…

Foley said the idea for his bill came from a call last year from a Cincinnati woman who said both she and her 82-year-old mother had been scheduled to work their retail jobs on Thanksgiving.

“I was offended by it,” he said. “Can’t there be one day that’s carved out of this consumerist, materialistic society we’re living in?”

This is actually a totally separate issue from the federal minimum wage fight, though some will obviously try to conflate the two.

This is a move to have the state government reach far deeper into the day to day operations of businesses and micromanage their personnel policies. The proposed legislation would apply to not only specific days and times, but only a single sector of the workforce.

Businesses of all kinds have to decide when and how to offer their products and services in a way which still produces a profit. (There’s that nasty P word again, though progressives hate to hear it. It’s still a requirement to sustain private enterprise.)

ALL of it here:
The more you make on overtime is taxed at a higher bracket. of course he would want this.
If you work more than 50 hours a week you'll bring home less money than working less than 50 hours a week.
Yeah....For example take someone at $12 per hour. Triple it to $36....For tax purposes, The IRS sees someone who is paid $36 per hour . There goes HALF of their earnings.
It doesn't work that way idiot. And even if it did they'd still be ahead. God you people are morons.
I see you've never operated a business and done payroll .
Shit. No use discussing anything with an irrational emoter such as yourself.
You're just spouting pure nonsense now.

SNIP:

ALL of it here:

Your annual taxes are based on your adjusted gross income. Unless your overtime actually pushed you into another bracket at the end of the year you will pay the same tax rate on your overtime as you did on the rest of your income.

SNIP:

ALL of it here:

Your annual taxes are based on your adjusted gross income. Unless your overtime actually pushed you into another bracket at the end of the year you will pay the same tax rate on your overtime as you did on the rest of your income.

Therefore if you did pay a little extra some weeks then you would either get a higher return or a lesser tax bill

Once again Conservatives define "Family Values" as working the holidays for lousy pay.

It seems the only "Families" Conservatives value are the families of the owners and the only thing they "Value" is more profit.
The stores are open because the consumers demand access to the goods.

The consumers do not demand access to the goods because the stores are open.

Close the stores on holidays, and the consumer just goes to the net more, and the brick and mortar places continue to fold.

And Libs will have to find something else that is none of their business to bitch about.

No.

Wrong.

Shopping and overspending has become a national distraction, an addiction.

We are a sick country.

SNIP:

ALL of it here:

Please read my previous comment.
However I've had guys point out they would have made more money if they had worked less hours when it comes to overtime.

Therefore if you did pay a little extra some weeks then you would either get a higher return or a lesser tax bill
So you're giving the government an interest free loan?

However I've had guys point out they would have made more money if they had worked less hours when it comes to overtime.
In a weekly check maybe but as I said in the end unless you are actually pushed into a higher bracket you still make more because the extra tax taken out on a high overtime check will be used to offset something else resulting in either a higher return or a lower tax bill

In a weekly check maybe but as I said in the end unless you are actually pushed into a higher bracket you still make more because the extra tax taken out on a high overtime check will be used to offset something else resulting in either a higher return or a lower tax bill
Yes in weekly checks

So you're giving the government an interest free loan?
Everyone who gets an income tax return does.

I pay quarterly taxes and have not received an income tax return in 15 years.

Once again Conservatives define "Family Values" as working the holidays for lousy pay.

It seems the only "Families" Conservatives value are the families of the owners and the only thing they "Value" is more profit.
Once again a Liberal thinking they have a say in when a private business has its employees work.

Yes in weekly checks
But in the long run it evens out.

So...you want the Wal-Mart cashier to get triple pay...but not the ER nurse, the police officer, the EMT, the tow truck driver, or the restaurant cook? Gee, thanks.

Apparently you need to improve your reading skills. I said reasonable holiday pay. I did not say that reasonable was triple pay. Personally, I think the standard time-and-a-half is a perfectly reasonable holiday pay, and that triple pay would be excessive.

Also, I never said anything about exempting nurses or anyone else. Are you trying to imply that nurses, truck drivers, or restaurant cooks are all government employees? There are a great many private businesses that employ nurses and other healthcare workers.

As for government workers, they typically already get some form of holiday pay. If you work for the government generally you either have the holiday off with pay, or you get a subsequent day off with pay. That too, is reasonable IMO.

And yet you just used argumentum ad absurdum, and that somehow is ok.....

Government HAS been ever expanding and taking liberties with existing laws, there is no fallacy there.

Seems you have alot to learn about logic. You use a slippery slope. Pointing out your slippery slope is, according to you, an reduction to absurdity. Interesting you pick that, of all things, because the reduction to absurdity is perhaps the most misunderstood and abused label in logic. You would be better to remove it from your lexicon, until such point as you've had several years of intense study on the subject. But here's a teaser for you: Reduction to absurdity is a valid form of argument.

No, you used reduction to absurdity to claim my slippery slope argument was a fallacy. So you used one fallacy to counter my supposed fallacy.

However, government time and time again has sought more power when given some power. I however, have never advocated for anarchy.

Thus your argument holds no water.

You're easy.
IF THE CUSTOMER is DEMANDING that the stores be opened on Holidays as some here claim, then they won't mind paying a penny or two more in price.... right?
It will be much more than a penny or two..
In this scenario, the government has mandated a 300% increase in the cost of labor.
There is much more to the cost of labor than just the base pay rate.
The accepted figure is 50%....Therefore the labor rate is tripled to say $30.....That worker is going to them cost the employer $45 per hour.
I can guarantee these stores WILL slash their crews to the bone. They will install more self checkout stations.
One employee to several departments. More electronic do it yourself price check stations.
Areas of stores where there are no discounted items will go unsupported..
No restocking of shelves during shopping hours. So if the items are depleted, it stays that way.
These are what are known as unintended consequences. A fact you libs always ignore when you decide to stick your nanny state noses into the affairs of private enterprise

Forum List

Back