Ohio Dem seeks to legislate triple pay for retail workers on holidays

I wonder how many businesses this pampered elected idiot owns? Millions of people out of work and he's worried about this

SNIP:
Hi. I’m from the government and I’m here to help.

Nobody likes working on the holidays. I’ve had to do it myself back in the day (and I wasn’t even in retail) and it’s no fun. But at least in Ohio, workers who do get called in on Thanksgiving may be cashing in big if some Democrats get their way. It seems that if retailers need their employees to work on Thanksgiving (or other holidays) the state may force them to triple their wages.

A lawmaker in Ohio wants stores in the state to pay triple wages for employees who work on Thanksgiving ? an effort that comes as Macy’s, the holiday’s quintessential retailer, is allowing its workers to choose whether to work that day.

Both are attempts to counter frustration among workers and their families over holiday store hours that have expanded into the holiday.

State Rep. Mike Foley, a Democrat from Cleveland, said his bill would allow employees to bow out of the holiday shift without job sanctions while protecting family time from excessive consumerism.

It comes after a federal complaint filed earlier this year accused Wal-Mart of illegally firing, disciplining or threatening more than 60 employees in 14 states for participating in protests over wages and working conditions…

Foley said the idea for his bill came from a call last year from a Cincinnati woman who said both she and her 82-year-old mother had been scheduled to work their retail jobs on Thanksgiving.

“I was offended by it,” he said. “Can’t there be one day that’s carved out of this consumerist, materialistic society we’re living in?”

This is actually a totally separate issue from the federal minimum wage fight, though some will obviously try to conflate the two.

This is a move to have the state government reach far deeper into the day to day operations of businesses and micromanage their personnel policies. The proposed legislation would apply to not only specific days and times, but only a single sector of the workforce.

Businesses of all kinds have to decide when and how to offer their products and services in a way which still produces a profit. (There’s that nasty P word again, though progressives hate to hear it. It’s still a requirement to sustain private enterprise.)

ALL of it here:
Ohio Dem seeks to legislate triple pay for retail workers on holidays Hot Air
And that will mark the end of Thanksgiving day openings.
The stupidity of some of our elected reps is astounding.

yes, ADVERTISING does pull people in to shop....and those stores who chose to open, needed to pull the customers in to their stores.

if the customer was DEMANDING the stores be opened on Holidays because they wanted to shop on holidays, then by the mere presence of all those customers demanding, and being there, the huge money spent on advertising should not be needed to garner the business from them.....

:wtf:

Do you actually believe that nonsense? Or are you just saying it because you think some fool out there might be convinced by your argument?

Once again Conservatives define "Family Values" as working the holidays for lousy pay.

It seems the only "Families" Conservatives value are the families of the owners and the only thing they "Value" is more profit.
Those who object can find jobs where there is no work on Holidays....
So let's see.....Medical facility workers. Public safety. Media. Essential services such as utility companies....
So God damned stupid.

Thanksgiving is perhaps the only major celebration holiday in the United States that possesses a decidedly American and secular purpose. Actually, scratch that. It's one of two, New Years being the second. Point is, I find it perfectly acceptable for a state government to mandate private businesses to pay a reasonable holiday pay for these limited examples.

except the examples are never limited, and the state will expand the extra pay to more and more situations, because of course, its not thier money.

These slippery slope fallacies are always foolish. If this is the position you are going to take, then you must demand complete and total anarchy. The dissolution of all government, period. Reasonable laws of limited applicability do not cease to be reasonable simply because a different law of wide applicability is unreasonable.

And yet you just used argumentum ad absurdum, and that somehow is ok.....

Government HAS been ever expanding and taking liberties with existing laws, there is no fallacy there.

Thanksgiving is perhaps the only major celebration holiday in the United States that possesses a decidedly American and secular purpose. Actually, scratch that. It's one of two, New Years being the second. Point is, I find it perfectly acceptable for a state government to mandate private businesses to pay a reasonable holiday pay for these limited examples.
Yeah well, do you think these businesses will simply roll over and comply?
Newsflash. Businesses WILL find a way around such intrusive nanny state garbage.
This idiot legislator is wasting his time. This thing has no shot at becoming law.

Once again Conservatives define "Family Values" as working the holidays for lousy pay.

It seems the only "Families" Conservatives value are the families of the owners and the only thing they "Value" is more profit.
The stores are open because the consumers demand access to the goods.

The consumers do not demand access to the goods because the stores are open.

Close the stores on holidays, and the consumer just goes to the net more, and the brick and mortar places continue to fold.

And Libs will have to find something else that is none of their business to bitch about.
I think if that were the case then retailers would not have to spend billions on advertising to come in and shop.
Wow..
"I think"....No, you don't
The ads are to inform people the items discounted.
That's all.

All stores are open New Year's Day. Most businesses ignore the day as a holiday.
NY Day is essentially a bank holiday.

Those who object can find jobs where there is no work on Holidays....
So let's see.....Medical facility workers. Public safety. Media. Essential services such as utility companies....
So God damned stupid.
FAIR PAY!

You Conservtives with you 'Marie Anntoinette' attitudes just can't get it! If someone has to work a holiday, at least make it worth their effort!

yes, ADVERTISING does pull people in to shop....and those stores who chose to open, needed to pull the customers in to their stores.

if the customer was DEMANDING the stores be opened on Holidays because they wanted to shop on holidays, then by the mere presence of all those customers demanding, and being there, the huge money spent on advertising should not be needed to garner the business from them.....

:wtf:

Do you actually believe that nonsense? Or are you just saying it because you think some fool out there might be convinced by your argument?
yes I do, because I was THERE working in management in the industry....we needed a way to ''beat last year's sales''.... we did not have customers sending letters to our corporate offices demanding we open on holidays.... it was OUR IDEA, one holiday after another, to choose to open, so we could increase our sales.... we started small with opening only short hours on the holiday....noon til 5 pm, then grew our opening hours each following year to increase the sales we were going against, then added another holiday to be opened because even with the increased hours was not enough to secure beating 'last year's sales'......

IT WAS NEVER THE CUSTOMER DEMANDING IT....it was us, choosing to do it because it was easier to increase sales in that manner than being SMARTER in what we bought then sold.

So...you want the Wal-Mart cashier to get triple pay...but not the ER nurse, the police officer, the EMT, the tow truck driver, or the restaurant cook? Gee, thanks.

I wonder how many businesses this pampered elected idiot owns? Millions of people out of work and he's worried about this

SNIP:

Nobody likes working on the holidays. I’ve had to do it myself back in the day (and I wasn’t even in retail) and it’s no fun. But at least in Ohio, workers who do get called in on Thanksgiving may be cashing in big if some Democrats get their way. It seems that if retailers need their employees to work on Thanksgiving (or other holidays) the state may force them to triple their wages.

A lawmaker in Ohio wants stores in the state to pay triple wages for employees who work on Thanksgiving ? an effort that comes as Macy’s, the holiday’s quintessential retailer, is allowing its workers to choose whether to work that day.

Both are attempts to counter frustration among workers and their families over holiday store hours that have expanded into the holiday.

State Rep. Mike Foley, a Democrat from Cleveland, said his bill would allow employees to bow out of the holiday shift without job sanctions while protecting family time from excessive consumerism.

It comes after a federal complaint filed earlier this year accused Wal-Mart of illegally firing, disciplining or threatening more than 60 employees in 14 states for participating in protests over wages and working conditions…

Foley said the idea for his bill came from a call last year from a Cincinnati woman who said both she and her 82-year-old mother had been scheduled to work their retail jobs on Thanksgiving.

“I was offended by it,” he said. “Can’t there be one day that’s carved out of this consumerist, materialistic society we’re living in?”

This is actually a totally separate issue from the federal minimum wage fight, though some will obviously try to conflate the two.

This is a move to have the state government reach far deeper into the day to day operations of businesses and micromanage their personnel policies. The proposed legislation would apply to not only specific days and times, but only a single sector of the workforce.

Businesses of all kinds have to decide when and how to offer their products and services in a way which still produces a profit. (There’s that nasty P word again, though progressives hate to hear it. It’s still a requirement to sustain private enterprise.)

ALL of it here:
The more you make on overtime is taxed at a higher bracket. of course he would want this.
If you work more than 50 hours a week you'll bring home less money than working less than 50 hours a week.

Americans suck.

You are welcome to get the fuck out.
It's my country, now get the fuck out of it and take the rest of the morons with you. I no longer need you to plow the fields and dig the ditches.

:lame2:
No, it's such a terrible place now, because of the damn liberals, who founded it, that you should leave or form your own country, which makes what I said Truth.

except the examples are never limited, and the state will expand the extra pay to more and more situations, because of course, its not thier money.

These slippery slope fallacies are always foolish. If this is the position you are going to take, then you must demand complete and total anarchy. The dissolution of all government, period. Reasonable laws of limited applicability do not cease to be reasonable simply because a different law of wide applicability is unreasonable.
Unfortunately there is never a limit to these 'benevolent' laws passed in the interest of those less fortunate or to benefit a particular class of people.
So yes, this is a slippery slope...
I can almost guarantee that IF this is ever to become law, every union leader of every union representing public employees as well as unions representing nurses, airport workers and anyone else who must work holidays will scream a collective "ME TOO!!!!!"
Yeah, so it IS a slippery slope.

Unfortunately there is never a limit to these 'benevolent' laws passed in the interest of those less fortunate or to benefit a particular class of people.
So yes, this is a slippery slope...
I can almost guarantee that IF this is ever to become law, every union leader of every union representing public employees as well as unions representing nurses, airport workers and anyone else who must work holidays will scream a collective "ME TOO!!!!!"
Yeah, so it IS a slippery slope.
If you work a holiday you should be paid extra, and I don't care who you are or who you work for. Pay up you cheap bastards.

SNIP:

ALL of it here:
The more you make on overtime is taxed at a higher bracket. of course he would want this.
If you work more than 50 hours a week you'll bring home less money than working less than 50 hours a week.
Yeah....For example take someone at $12 per hour. Triple it to $36....For tax purposes, The IRS sees someone who is paid $36 per hour . There goes HALF of their earnings.

Most people already get time and a half on holidays.

I had a job where I got double and a half time and I volunteered for every single holiday.

If you don't want to work on holidays then don't work retail, medical, or any other service industry.

No one is forcing anyone to work retail

SNIP:

ALL of it here:
Yeah....For example take someone at $12 per hour. Triple it to $36....For tax purposes, The IRS sees someone who is paid $36 per hour . There goes HALF of their earnings.
It doesn't work that way idiot. And even if it did they'd still be ahead. God you people are morons.

And yet you just used argumentum ad absurdum, and that somehow is ok.....

Government HAS been ever expanding and taking liberties with existing laws, there is no fallacy there.

Seems you have alot to learn about logic. You use a slippery slope. Pointing out your slippery slope is, according to you, an reduction to absurdity. Interesting you pick that, of all things, because the reduction to absurdity is perhaps the most misunderstood and abused label in logic. You would be better to remove it from your lexicon, until such point as you've had several years of intense study on the subject. But here's a teaser for you: Reduction to absurdity is a valid form of argument.

Forum List

Back