Ohio Dem seeks to legislate triple pay for retail workers on holidays

Thanksgiving is perhaps the only major celebration holiday in the United States that possesses a decidedly American and secular purpose. Actually, scratch that. It's one of two, New Years being the second. Point is, I find it perfectly acceptable for a state government to mandate private businesses to pay a reasonable holiday pay for these limited examples.
All stores are open New Year's Day. Most businesses ignore the day as a holiday.
NY Day is essentially a bank holiday.

Yes, I know. Perhaps you don't understand what I was saying. I see no problem with a state government requiring a reasonable holiday pay in limited circumstances. The limit of those circumstances are Thanksgiving and/or New Years. The reason I find these two acceptable, limited circumstances is because they are the only two major celebration holidays in our country which are both secular (not based on a religious tradition) and are decidedly American (have universal relevance for all Americans, regardless of the origins of one's ancestors).

I would affirmatively disapprove of such a measure for times such as President's day (not a major celebration day) or Christmas (a religiously based holiday).

Therefore if you did pay a little extra some weeks then you would either get a higher return or a lesser tax bill
So you're giving the government an interest free loan?
Everyone who gets an income tax return does.

I pay quarterly taxes and have not received an income tax return in 15 years.
Me either while many of those not paying any income taxes get gs
Extra pay, good idea. Close the damn stores and let people have a day off. Americans suck.
since it's not your business, mind your own. Those who suck are the ones like you who think what someone else does is your business.
What someone else does often is my business dummy. That's known as living in a Society.
No...In fact as long as there is no direct effect on you or no infringement on the rights of others, it is IS NONE of your business.
And before you type.....Do not even consider this your business. It isn't. What an employer decides to pay their employees is none of your concern.
You can go back your feed bucket now. Anything so you can shut up.
Keep your childish Libertarian crap to yourself. I'm a grownup, you have no chance.

Good for you. I'm talking about those working weekly 40 hour a week taxes taken out of their checks each week,

Everyone who gets a tax return is giving the government an interest free loan. Which is why you should estimate your annual pay and then make sure that your withheld taxes either just cover your responsibility or fall just short and then you cut a check in April to make up the difference.

It ain't rocket science.
That's correct, or you could be generous as they need the cash so you let them keep the interest.

Let who keep the interest?

The fucking government?

No way Jose.
Yes the fucking government, your fucking government, but you don't have to, not at all.

Thanksgiving is perhaps the only major celebration holiday in the United States that possesses a decidedly American and secular purpose. Actually, scratch that. It's one of two, New Years being the second. Point is, I find it perfectly acceptable for a state government to mandate private businesses to pay a reasonable holiday pay for these limited examples.

except the examples are never limited, and the state will expand the extra pay to more and more situations, because of course, its not thier money.
This hasn't happened

Yeah....For example take someone at $12 per hour. Triple it to $36....For tax purposes, The IRS sees someone who is paid $36 per hour . There goes HALF of their earnings.
It doesn't work that way idiot. And even if it did they'd still be ahead. God you people are morons.
Yes it does. Test tube baby
No, it doesn't you dumbshit.
Don't you tire of being wrong all the time?
Because I never am, no. They don't treat what you make per hour, even when the rates vary, differently you moron. It all comes out in the wash at the END OF THE YEAR!
Actually, no it doesn't....The refund is not dollar for dollar.
So if for instance a person logs ten additional hours of OT every week. The OT pay is taxed at the highest or 39.6% rate.
That extra tax is NOT refunded dollar for dollar. So no, it is not a wash.
Now, you arguing to argue. Put a dirty nasty wet sock in it.
YOU LOSE....

Good for you. I'm talking about those working weekly 40 hour a week taxes taken out of their checks each week,

Everyone who gets a tax return is giving the government an interest free loan. Which is why you should estimate your annual pay and then make sure that your withheld taxes either just cover your responsibility or fall just short and then you cut a check in April to make up the difference.

It ain't rocket science.
That's correct, or you could be generous as they need the cash so you let them keep the interest.

Let who keep the interest?

The fucking government?

No way Jose.
Yes the fucking government, your fucking government, but you don't have to, not at all.

Hey you are free to write a big fucking check to the US treasury if you want.

But the fucking government will not get one red cent more from me than it is legally allowed to take.

yes I do, because I was THERE working in management in the industry....we needed a way to ''beat last year's sales''.... we did not have customers sending letters to our corporate offices demanding we open on holidays.... it was OUR IDEA, one holiday after another, to choose to open, so we could increase our sales.... we started small with opening only short hours on the holiday....noon til 5 pm, then grew our opening hours each following year to increase the sales we were going against, then added another holiday to be opened because even with the increased hours was not enough to secure beating 'last year's sales'......

IT WAS NEVER THE CUSTOMER DEMANDING IT....it was us, choosing to do it because it was easier to increase sales in that manner than being SMARTER in what we bought then sold.

You've now changed argument tracks completely. Shall we continue on this one, and forget the other one completely? Or would you like to resume the old one, and ignore this digression?

Therefore if you did pay a little extra some weeks then you would either get a higher return or a lesser tax bill

It ain't rocket science.
the government needs the cash because of it's pork spending. let those rich elected bastards pay for their own wastefulness, out of their own pocket.

Liberals see someone working a minimum wage job and then blame others for that person being in that job. It could "never" be the fault of the person in that job....no way. They didn't skip school, do drugs, have 5 kids out of wedlock, become a felon, etc. It must be some white man's fault....

except the examples are never limited, and the state will expand the extra pay to more and more situations, because of course, its not thier money.
This hasn't happened
it's inevitable as those not included will scream "equality!".....
The unions will have none of this. They would bitch first.

I wonder how many businesses this pampered elected idiot owns? Millions of people out of work and he's worried about this

SNIP:
Hi. I’m from the government and I’m here to help.

Nobody likes working on the holidays. I’ve had to do it myself back in the day (and I wasn’t even in retail) and it’s no fun. But at least in Ohio, workers who do get called in on Thanksgiving may be cashing in big if some Democrats get their way. It seems that if retailers need their employees to work on Thanksgiving (or other holidays) the state may force them to triple their wages.

A lawmaker in Ohio wants stores in the state to pay triple wages for employees who work on Thanksgiving ? an effort that comes as Macy’s, the holiday’s quintessential retailer, is allowing its workers to choose whether to work that day.

Both are attempts to counter frustration among workers and their families over holiday store hours that have expanded into the holiday.

State Rep. Mike Foley, a Democrat from Cleveland, said his bill would allow employees to bow out of the holiday shift without job sanctions while protecting family time from excessive consumerism.

It comes after a federal complaint filed earlier this year accused Wal-Mart of illegally firing, disciplining or threatening more than 60 employees in 14 states for participating in protests over wages and working conditions…

Foley said the idea for his bill came from a call last year from a Cincinnati woman who said both she and her 82-year-old mother had been scheduled to work their retail jobs on Thanksgiving.

“I was offended by it,” he said. “Can’t there be one day that’s carved out of this consumerist, materialistic society we’re living in?”

This is actually a totally separate issue from the federal minimum wage fight, though some will obviously try to conflate the two.

This is a move to have the state government reach far deeper into the day to day operations of businesses and micromanage their personnel policies. The proposed legislation would apply to not only specific days and times, but only a single sector of the workforce.

Businesses of all kinds have to decide when and how to offer their products and services in a way which still produces a profit. (There’s that nasty P word again, though progressives hate to hear it. It’s still a requirement to sustain private enterprise.)

ALL of it here:
Ohio Dem seeks to legislate triple pay for retail workers on holidays Hot Air
And that will mark the end of Thanksgiving day openings.
The stupidity of some of our elected reps is astounding.
No it wont...

This hasn't happened
it's inevitable as those not included will scream "equality!".....
The unions will have none of this. They would bitch first.
I get paid double time for holidays...
holidays regardless of state give you more pay if you work it. Typically it's double time or time and a half.
The unions are barely anywhere for any matter of importance..you fool

unfortunately it does work that way.

Your annual taxes are based on your adjusted gross income. Unless your overtime actually pushed you into another bracket at the end of the year you will pay the same tax rate on your overtime as you did on the rest of your income.
Please read my previous comment.
However I've had guys point out they would have made more money if they had worked less hours when it comes to overtime.
In a weekly check maybe but as I said in the end unless you are actually pushed into a higher bracket you still make more because the extra tax taken out on a high overtime check will be used to offset something else resulting in either a higher return or a lower tax bill
Yes in weekly checks
But in the long run it evens out.
Actually it doesn't. As I explained to that moron paintmyhouse, the tax paid is not returned in the form of a refund on a dollar for dollar rate.

the department store employees don't even make more come year end for working holidays, what we've done is cut their hours by one day, during the holiday week, so the double time is NOT added payroll dollars. So, if the employee is scheduled to work the holiday, they are given another 8 hrs off....to compensate for the Holiday Pay....

TRIPLING the hourly rate, would be difficult for stores to give their employees 2 extra days off....so, maybe the employee could increase their yearly earnings for working a holiday?
WHAT?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That makes NO SENSE...
Go.......shovel your driveway.....
IF a full timer worked the holiday for double time pay, then we cut their hours during the week, so that we only worked them 32 hours instead of 40 hours.... that way, the double time pay on the holiday, did not raise our weekly payroll costs...

what is it that you do not understand about that...?

The more you make on overtime is taxed at a higher bracket. of course he would want this.
If you work more than 50 hours a week you'll bring home less money than working less than 50 hours a week.
Yeah....For example take someone at $12 per hour. Triple it to $36....For tax purposes, The IRS sees someone who is paid $36 per hour . There goes HALF of their earnings.
It doesn't work that way idiot. And even if it did they'd still be ahead. God you people are morons.
unfortunately it does work that way.

Your annual taxes are based on your adjusted gross income. Unless your overtime actually pushed you into another bracket at the end of the year you will pay the same tax rate on your overtime as you did on the rest of your income.
Please read my previous comment.
However I've had guys point out they would have made more money if they had worked less hours when it comes to overtime.
True....because of taxes. At some point you can kind of cap overtime where it starts to hurt you.
But the amount of overtime you have to work to reach this depends on your pay scale as well.

This hasn't happened

because no state has been dumb enough for mandating triple pay during a normal workweek.

This hasn't happened

because no state has been dumb enough for mandating triple pay during a normal workweek.
It's not normal...it's a holiday...
quit projecting your fantasies

The person in Ohio is suggesting the retail workers receive 3X pay.

So what? I'm under no obligation to agree with the Ohio legislature. I'm under no obligation to either agree completely with every drop or reject every drop. If you'll notice, the OP also reflects questions of government intrusion. I've given my position on that aspect as well.

This hasn't happened

It's not normal...it's a holiday...
quit projecting your fantasies

anything under 40 hours is a normal work week. If your job calls for you to work on a holiday, you work on the holiday. I've done it, others have done it.

So...you want the Wal-Mart cashier to get triple pay...but not the ER nurse, the police officer, the EMT, the tow truck driver, or the restaurant cook? Gee, thanks.

Apparently you need to improve your reading skills. I said reasonable holiday pay. I did not say that reasonable was triple pay. Personally, I think the standard time-and-a-half is a perfectly reasonable holiday pay, and that triple pay would be excessive.

Then what are you doing in the "Triple pay for retail workers" thread?

Also, I never said anything about exempting nurses or anyone else. Are you trying to imply that nurses, truck drivers, or restaurant cooks are all government employees? There are a great many private businesses that employ nurses and other healthcare workers.

Are you baked?

As for government workers, they typically already get some form of holiday pay. If you work for the government generally you either have the holiday off with pay, or you get a subsequent day off with pay. That too, is reasonable IMO.
Seriously: are you stoned?!

Translation: You've made an ass out of yourself with a bunch of assumptions and hope to save face by acting like a juvenile.

Forum List

Back