Ohio Dem seeks to legislate triple pay for retail workers on holidays

Eight hours paid time off six times a year hardly merit is seeing it as 'unreasonably high' benefits. And you were the clever accountant who added "plus" to the equation.

Everyday I listen to Conservatives complain of the loss of Family Values. Six paid days off, or a fair time and a half rate, would go a long way toward balancing your checkbooks, both finacial and ethical.

Backing away from your own position, I see.

The vast majority of employers will either give you a paid day off on holidays, or time-and-a-half for working the holiday, for full time employees. That's reasonable. My previous company was even more generous, as they gave us 8 hours of holiday pay in addition to our hours worked for that week. So even though I got regular pay for working the holiday, I essentially got a bonus for select paid holidays. My current company gives an even better package, IMO. So why in the world should the government demand 3x pay for working holidays?
Who suggested triple pay?

And you should get paid days off whenever lu want them. We have called then "vacation days" for years.

As many as you want? What is all employees want the same day off for vacation. Should that be honored for all of them?
You mean to say that employers are baffled by employee vacations too? Just as misery enjoys company, the confused like to get together. Is that why you're a Boss' Boy?

There's not a problem with employee vacation time. There is one when the employee thinks they can take it without asking permission or the employer says no because people have already asked off.

I'm the boss dickhead, something you'll never be.
I've never felt oppressed whenever I ask for vacation days according to the company policy. There should be paid sick days for emergencies, but vacation days are valuable to both employer and employee. I never suggested trashing HR protocol.

And I supervise a staff of five. You needn't call me a dickhead, unless you think I'm right.

True the retail workers is tougher, however, those workers lose a day of pay sitting home and that pay is important to their budgets.

So is it fair for them to be made to sit at home and make nothing when they'd rather work and make an income?

And yes many on this board want these retailers closed, not fair compensation, closed.
Am I the only worker to get paid holidays? Why should a worker lose a day's pay because it's a National holiday? Public and private sector workers get holidays off with pay.

If the employer refuses to grant both paid holidays off and time and a half for a holiday worked, that employer cannot be said to value employees.

Both holidays? I thought thanksgiving is one day.

In retail, restaurant, service stations, and on and on, you don't work, you don't get paid.

The rest of your comment is just your opinion, not a fact.
National holidays, not marketing holidays. New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day. and Christmas Day. Hours worked on those National holidays should be paid time and a half or full time if taken as a holiday off.

That values the family, it respects the worker, it is fair for the employer.

I disagree, if the employer hires you with the stipulation that he doesn't pay for those Holidays, the. You don't get paid.

Christmas is a religious holiday as is Thanksgiving, so those two days should just go away, church and state thing.

Give me more PTO, I want the days off when I want them off. I'd go for that, all the holidays are marketing holidays, not a one you mentioned isn't.
Thanksgiving is not a religious holiday. And have you become so jaded not to realize the significance of Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day? You could not see New Year's Day as a good holiday? Would you screw the worker at work and then take New Year's Eve away as a party night?

And you should get paid days off whenever lu want them. We have called then "vacation days" for years.
In stead of getting paid holidays and 80 hours of PTO, I'd rather have no paid holidays and get 128 hours.

New Years his Hangover Day, it's an excuse to get drunk, really stupid, no significance in drinking until you pass out and make resolutions that will end at the end of the month. I usually am in bed by 9 New Years Eve, and work the next day. I don't have a headache. If New Years falls on a weekend, I am still in bed by 9.

Memorial Day, the three day weekend that kicks off summer? And what is the significance of that. I work that day and at night I think about the loss of life that was given that gives us the freedoms to enjoy our life and protected rights. I probably give more thought to that day than those people on their three day camping trip.

Independence Day, big crowds, drinking and fireworks. Real good to take kids around a bunch of drunks.

Labor Day? The end of summer, people take off and never think of the significance of what that day really means.

These holidays are a commerce gold mine.

I probably realize the significance and history more than most people.

Eight hours paid time off six times a year hardly merit is seeing it as 'unreasonably high' benefits. And you were the clever accountant who added "plus" to the equation.

Everyday I listen to Conservatives complain of the loss of Family Values. Six paid days off, or a fair time and a half rate, would go a long way toward balancing your checkbooks, both finacial and ethical.

The vast majority of employers will either give you a paid day off on holidays, or time-and-a-half for working the holiday, for full time employees. That's reasonable. My previous company was even more generous, as they gave us 8 hours of holiday pay in addition to our hours worked for that week. So even though I got regular pay for working the holiday, I essentially got a bonus for select paid holidays. My current company gives an even better package, IMO. So why in the world should the government demand 3x pay for working holidays?

*facepalm*

You really should read before jumping into a conversation.

*facepalm*

Pretty funny.

*facepalm*

That makes it difficult to give you an answer. A thumbnail,sketch would move things along. Thanks.

Hint, read the first post and the title of the thread.
:lmao:

Let me know if you need more of a clue.

That makes it difficult to give you an answer. A thumbnail,sketch would move things along. Thanks.

read.jpg

As many as you want? What is all employees want the same day off for vacation. Should that be honored for all of them?
You mean to say that employers are baffled by employee vacations too? Just as misery enjoys company, the confused like to get together. Is that why you're a Boss' Boy?

There's not a problem with employee vacation time. There is one when the employee thinks they can take it without asking permission or the employer says no because people have already asked off.

I'm the boss dickhead, something you'll never be.
I've never felt oppressed whenever I ask for vacation days according to the company policy. There should be paid sick days for emergencies, but vacation days are valuable to both employer and employee. I never suggested trashing HR protocol.

And I supervise a staff of five. You needn't call me a dickhead, unless you think I'm right.
Vacation days according to policy aren't a problem.

Actually have suggested trashing protocol. You do it by defending an employee being paid a wage over and above the wage they new they would make when they started. If company policy says people may have to work holidays for a certain wage and you think the government should mandate a higher one, you trash it.

A staff of five. Big deal. I am the boss of 55.

I call you a dickhead because you act like one. You say you don't believe in doing something then advocate doing just that.

because no state has been dumb enough for mandating triple pay during a normal workweek.
It's not normal...it's a holiday...
quit projecting your fantasies

anything under 40 hours is a normal work week. If your job calls for you to work on a holiday, you work on the holiday. I've done it, others have done it.
great! good for you!
I didnt actually think there was someone out there who doesnt like holiday pay because if you work and you work those days it should be expected like a normal day. People like you are shit.

People like me worked to get to a job that has holiday pay. I studied in school and paid my dues. If someone doesn't like minimum wage job conditions they should try to get out of a minimum wage job.

People like you want me to pay for people who fucked around early in life and are now whining that their lives are not the way they want to be. They get gullible rubes like you to fleece the rest of us to make up for their mistakes.
most if not all places of work have holiday pay. Ive only run into one place that hasnt because the owner was a dick.
What we are talking with this bill is about increasing the wage on holidays.
Good for you, you went to school and get holiday pay which is federally mandated anyways. I didnt go to college and i get holiday pay as well.

Do waiters get holiday pay?

So why in the world should the government demand 3x pay for working holidays?

Seeing as how the vast majority of people working Thanksgiving are working in retail, they probably don't make over 9 bucks an hour.

Pay them three times that amount does two things very well.
It makes the employees working feel better about their company and about having to give up time off with family and friends.
And it gives the employee a little boost in pay that they will then spend on their holiday.

If the profit potential is so fucking great that these retailers have to be open on Thanksgiving, then they should reward their employees for working to make the company a lot more money.

And I know that assholes like you HATE it when low paid hourly employees get more pay than YOU think they deserve. But what the hell, IF you run a business in Ohio, don't open for Thanksgiving. End of your problem, isn't it. But who are you to bitch about it? You work retail?

So why in the world should the government demand 3x pay for working holidays?

Seeing as how the vast majority of people working Thanksgiving are working in retail, they probably don't make over 9 bucks an hour.

It makes the employees working feel better about their company and about having to give up time off with family and friends.
And it gives the employee a little boost in pay that they will then spend on their holiday.

If the profit potential is so fucking great that these retailers have to be open on Thanksgiving, then they should reward their employees for working to make the company a lot more money.

And I know that assholes like you HATE it when low paid hourly employees get more pay than YOU think they deserve. But what the hell, IF you run a business in Ohio, don't open for Thanksgiving. End of your problem, isn't it. But who are you to bitch about it? You work retail?
They are already getting time and a half for working a holiday.

And it's not the fucking government's job to make employees feel good about their employer is it?

Hell, pay them 100 times their normal amount and they'll feel even better and have even more money to spend on the holidays!

According to whom? According to you? What makes you the company's master?

And I know that assholes like you HATE it when low paid hourly employees get more pay than YOU think they deserve.

:lol:

That's why my staff are the highest paid among their counterparts anywhere in town.

But what the hell, IF you run a business in Ohio, don't open for Thanksgiving. End of your problem, isn't it.

If you work in Ohio, don't work a job that requires you to work on Thanksgiving. End of your problem, isn't it?

But who are you to bitch about it? You work retail?

Who are you? And why does retail require special treatment?

Triple time is a little excessive, but double time on a holiday is more than fair.

I think double time is excessive for a government requirement. It's more than the standard fare. Also, "holiday" would need to be defined.

Forum List

Back