Obama is wrong. You can catch Ebola by sitting next to someone.

So? Cough into your sleeve like a responsible citizen then.

sleeve_sneeze1.jpg

sleeve_sneeze2.jpg

That's 100% effective right?????? Something like Duck Tape your windows in case of a GAS ATTACK?

More likely to die from some complication due to freaking out about this stuff than the stuff itself. Like dashing away from someone you think is sick and right out in front of an oncoming bus. :) If it was so easy to catch, everyone over in Africa would be dead. They aren't, because it's not that easily caught.

Yes, suicide by bus when running away from a coughing stranger, is HIGH on the list of causes of death.

WHO Update - over 8,000 Ebola cases - CDC provides no data from US to WHO!!

8033 Cases

3879 Deaths from current PLAGUE in Africa!

3879 down, 1.1 billion to go. Hardly a plague.

It is if you were one of the 3879!

Since you've done so much research into epidemiology, have you found a single eminent epidemiologist who suggests strict travel quarantines to deal with the ebola threat?

Considering the recent news and the consequences of one becoming infected with Ebola,Doc - how much research and verification do you believe one must obtain in order to draw a logical conclusion that strict travel quarantines should be enforced immediately?

Well, I'd like a single person who actually knows what they're talking about - someone who studies disease vectors and transmission professionally - to offer an opinion on it.

Rather than just the hysterical, fear-mongering rants about it that I've seen so far.

You (and everyone else posting their hysterics) don't have anywhere near enough understanding of it to have the ability to come to any "logical" conclusions about it. The givens required are simply not at your disposal.

In other words, you are going to stay in denial as long as possible. Listen up, Doc. I'm not into hysterics but neither am I in denial. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where this is going. We should not be allowing any air travel with these nations reporting Ebola Plague and we most definitely should not be sending in 3,000 of our own US Soldiers as if it were an enemy combatant that our soldiers are going to do warfare with. This latest story of sending 3,000 US Soldiers into the Ebola afflicted nation is utterly ridiculous. Please convey my thoughts to "Lonelaugher" and tell him I'm not laughing. Good night.

Again, I'm going to go with the advice of people who actually know what they're talking about, rather than hysterical posters on a message board.

Do you take medical advice from your plumber? How about financial advice from a hobo on the street?

Since you've done so much research into epidemiology, have you found a single eminent epidemiologist who suggests strict travel quarantines to deal with the ebola threat?

Does this qualify in your book?

Local Epidemiologist Speaks To Danger Of Ebola Threat In U.S. News in Detroit

Well, no - since that epidemiologist does not suggest "travel quarantine", and agrees with the way the CDC and Obama are handling it.

Did you bother to read your link? Somehow I doubt it.

Does that person qualify as an expert in your book, is what I was referring to. I have NO IDEA of a famous epidemiologist!

Doesn't need to be "famous", just needs some credentials. The person in the link you posted would count, if they agreed with your hysterics.

Obama says that you can't catch Ebola by setting next to someone on the bus. He is wrong. I have heard Obama say some stupid things, but this time his ignorance may cause people to die and I have a duty to respond.

Let's start with what everyone knows or should know. Ebola is spread by body fluids and saliva is a body fluid. Whenever a person sneezes or coughs, small droplets of germ-filled saliva are projected. If a person with Ebola rides a bus, a single sneeze or cough can contaminate those in close proximity.

However, the reality is much worse than many people think. It appears that a single cough or sneeze can contaminate an entire room, or an entire bus!

“Sneezes emit a disgusting gas cloud full of germs that linger in the air and spread throughout a much greater area than previously realized, according to a study from MIT.

“The video above uses high-speed imaging to show how far some droplets travel after a sneeze. While a large percentage stay clustered together, smaller droplets travel off-screen before the video even ends.”

“The images of coughs and sneezes revealed that small droplets could travel dramatically farther than previously estimated.

“If you ignored the presence of the gas cloud, your first guess would be that larger drops go farther than the smaller ones, and travel at most a couple of meters,” said John Bush, a professor of applied mathematics at MIT, in a press release. “We have shown that there’s a circulation within the cloud — the smaller drops can be swept around and re-suspended … Basically, small drops can be carried a great distance by this gas cloud while the larger drops fall out.

“Researchers found that some of the smallest droplets — as small as 10 millionths of a meter in diameter — can travel 200 times farther than previously estimated.

"According to the previous physical picture, no drops would travel more than a couple of meters," Bush told weather.com. "According to our revised physical picture, small drops can be resuspended by the gas cloud, and so easily span the entirety of a room" (Emphasis my own).

Sneezed Germs Travel HOW Far - weather.com

Although the above article covers just coughing and sneezing, it is obvious that even talking can spread the Ebola virus the same way.

“Flu germs spread from person to person by way of coughing, sneezing or simply talking. That's because droplets from an infected person get into the air and are inhaled by people nearby. Anyone within three feet can easily be infected. Flu germs also are spread when a person touches something that is contaminated with germs, and then touches their eyes, nose or mouth. Flu germs can live for hours on surfaces like doorknobs, desks and tables. Too bad they don't glow green, so we could see them, and avoid coming in contact with them! But be aware—they're there. Fortunately, there are ways to avoid them.”

This is How Germs Spread... It s Sickening

If you put your hand in front of your mouth and cough or sneeze you will feel a current of air that will spread the virus far and wide. If you put your hand in front of your mouth and talk, you will feel the same air current, especially when you say the words with the letter “T” and “P”.

Now I will tell you how easy it is to get Ebola from a fellow bus rider. First, the stricken rider sneezes spreading a virus-laden moisture cloud that spreads throughout the bus. Then another passenger inhales the virus and becomes a victim; or he simply touches a surface that has been contaminated and then touches his mouth, picks his nose or rubs his eyes.

This is the worst part: The Ebola virus remains alive outside a host for a period of severa days. This means that all those who ride in the same bus long after the diseased passenger has long departed are in danger of being infected. This is serious stuff, folks.

“SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST: The virus can survive in liquid or dried material for a number of days. Infectivity is found to be stable at room temperature or at 4°C for several days, and indefinitely stable at -70°C. Infectivity can be preserved by lyophilisation” (footnote numbers removed to avoid confusion).

Infectious Disease Index - Ebola virus MSDSonline

Note: For those skeptics who don't believe that Ebola can be transmitted through saliva, consider the following excerpt form an article in The Journal of Infectious Diseases::

“Clinical specimens. Fifty-four specimens from 26 patients, 12 (46%) of whom died, were collected (table 1). Sixteen clinical specimens from 12 patients were positive by virus culture (4 specimens) and/or RT-PCR (16 specimens), including saliva (8 of 16), skin swab (1 of 11), stool (2 of 4), semen (1 of 2), breast milk (2 of 2), tears (1 of 1), and nasal blood (1 of 1). No virus was found in urine (0 of 11), vomit (0 of 2), sputum (0 of 2), sweat (0 of 1), or the body louse (0 of 1). Three of the 16 positive specimens (2 saliva and 1 nasal blood) visibly contained blood.”

Assessment of the Risk of Ebola Virus Transmission from Bodily Fluids and Fomites

Conclusion: Obama says you can't get Ebola by sitting next to someone on a bus. Obama is wrong and those who believe him may unknowingly place themselves in danger. Personally, when it comes to the spread of Ebola, I think Obama knows better but he's lying his ass off to keep panic from spreading and from causing people to avoid public transportation. Either way, what he says in untrue.

Ebola is a level 4 pathogen. According to biosafety hazards
the workers in labs require full protective suits, not like level 3 where
they are just covered. it looks like the health workers were just wearing level 3 protective
covering and not level 4 which costs 1,000 dollars per suit.

So how can regular citizens be around a risky suspect person
if health and lab professionals are required to be in level 4 protective suits
when exposed to any Ebola substance. Even the suits used by health workers
is not really enough, but depended on constant cleaning and supervision not to make any accidental contact.

Technically they are supposed to completely be cleaned off and showered before exiting the isolation areas.

sleeve_sneeze1.jpg

sleeve_sneeze2.jpg

vigilante said:
That's 100% effective right?????? Something like Duck Tape your windows in case of a GAS ATTACK?

delta4embassy said:
More likely to die from some complication due to freaking out about this stuff than the stuff itself. Like dashing away from someone you think is sick and right out in front of an oncoming bus. :) If it was so easy to catch, everyone over in Africa would be dead. They aren't, because it's not that easily caught.

That's dumb. And from you, as usual.

Some of the folks in Africa have obviously developed immunity to the virus.

No one has yet demonstrated that it isn't possible to develop immunity to it.

3879 down, 1.1 billion to go. Hardly a plague.

Delta4Embassy:
The reports from West Africa say the devastation to the cities and populations
is worse than what is shown in virus movies.

Liberians Explain Why the Ebola Crisis Is Way Worse Than You Think Mother Jones

With the loss of hospitals and staff, even mothers going into labor needing C sections
and children with malaria were going without time sensitive treatment.

Dr. Sacra explained why the medical crisis was so critical that he plans to go back and keep helping
Massachusetts doctor now free of Ebola explains why he risked his life to work in Liberia - Metro - The Boston Globe

This is like a genocide if this is allowed to go unchecked.

Because of the 21 day incubation period, there are not enough laws or procedures
to keep infected persons from spreading it who do not yet know if they have it or not.

This isn't like HIV that gives you time to treat it.

If the suspected person isn't caught and treated, each day can make a difference if they
die or pass it on to someone else because they didn't know they had it.

Although the infection rate averages only 1.5 to 2 people catching it from each person,
the fact that ZMapp and other drugs will take until next year to produce supplies
adds to the fear and inability to handle the growing demanding.

If West Africa cannot handle the caseload it is facing now,
what makes you think we can handle any more cases leaking out anywhere else?

This is different because people do not know how they caught it.
So of course they can spread it to others without knowing it and containing it in time.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

sleeve_sneeze1.jpg

sleeve_sneeze2.jpg
????

Delta4Embassy:
Ebola is a level 4 pathogen that requires the
top level procedures for Biosafety Hazards:
CDC LC Quick Learn Recognize the four Biosafety Levels

You wouldn't ask people to take or administer x-rays without
proper procedures; and the same with hazardous waste.

What makes you think just wiping the fluids is enough?
The nurses in Dallas and Spain may have caught
Ebola from making contact while removing their suits.

??????

Delta you are usually on the ball, ahead of me and others.
Are we on the same page, or talking about two different things?

I'm talking about exposure to possible Ebola patients.
No contact with any fluids!

Are you discussing contact with people in general, or Ebola?

Forgot to add: Even if an infected passenger does not sneeze, cough or talk, you can still Get Ebola from him. His hands or clothing may be contaminated and everything he comes in contact with can be cross-contaminated.
If that is true, Professor, then I would expect this plague would move very fast.

sleeve_sneeze1.jpg

sleeve_sneeze2.jpg

The fact that the spread of the disease may be slow does not contradict the facts I presented. I simply provided the truth on how the virus can be spread. Everything I said is beyond the possibility of rational debate. I have no idea what the exposure/infection ratio is. However, there is no doubt that: (1) The Ebola virus was found in the saliva of some, but not all, of infected patients ; and (2) sneezing, coughing and talking spread a cloud of germ-laden saliva droplets. This is conclusive proof that it is at least possible to become infected by a fellow traveler. How can anyone doubt this? Actually, the risk of infection may be small, but since around 50% of those displaying symptoms will die perhaps risk avoidance is prudent. If I lived an a city where a number of people were stricken with Ebola, I wouldn't take public transportation; not a bus, not a cab.

Whatever may be true about Ebola, what I said about how the disease can be spread is also true.

Considering the recent news and the consequences of one becoming infected with Ebola,Doc - how much research and verification do you believe one must obtain in order to draw a logical conclusion that strict travel quarantines should be enforced immediately?

Well, I'd like a single person who actually knows what they're talking about - someone who studies disease vectors and transmission professionally - to offer an opinion on it.

Rather than just the hysterical, fear-mongering rants about it that I've seen so far.

You (and everyone else posting their hysterics) don't have anywhere near enough understanding of it to have the ability to come to any "logical" conclusions about it. The givens required are simply not at your disposal.

In other words, you are going to stay in denial as long as possible. Listen up, Doc. I'm not into hysterics but neither am I in denial. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where this is going. We should not be allowing any air travel with these nations reporting Ebola Plague and we most definitely should not be sending in 3,000 of our own US Soldiers as if it were an enemy combatant that our soldiers are going to do warfare with. This latest story of sending 3,000 US Soldiers into the Ebola afflicted nation is utterly ridiculous. Please convey my thoughts to "Lonelaugher" and tell him I'm not laughing. Good night.

Yes and no.
I agree no troops should be exposed to any potential Ebola carriers
but should be allowed to finish construction without risk of exposure.

This should be a clear condition:
in exchange for building the treatment centers,
then agree to restrict travel.

If all civilians and law abiding citizens agree to follow this protocol,
then federal forces can be focused on guarding entry points.

We need citizens and mass populations to be in unison with compliance
so the govt can focus on emergency areas that are out of control.

Now how can we get all citizens on the same page
to make it possible for govt and medical personnel to manage and do their jobs.

If that is true, Professor, then I would expect this plague would move very fast.

Yes in Africa the numbers are doubling every 2-4 weeks.

Even when precautions are being implemented, the infection rate is 1-2 people getting infected from each person.

Before Nigeria contained their patient zero, there were 20 cases total and 8 deaths including Sawyer.
And he was highly contagious, already seriously ill before boarding the plane initially.
The hospital and other people were openly exposed to him unprotected before he was suspected of carrying Ebola.

If more cases show up in the US or elsewhere,
containing one at a time is possible. But if there are multiple
cases spread out, you can see the complications. And the
drugs to produce the antibodies will not be available for several more months.

So even the scare to the public is enough to cause imposition.
Schools and hospital services can be displaced and disrupted with a single case.

"This year the region has had more than 85,000 reported cholera cases, resulting in 2,466 deaths, which make it one of the biggest epidemics in the region’s history." from 2011
United Nations News Centre - Cholera outbreak in Central and West Africa one of the worst ever UN

Didn't hear much of anything about this. About the same number of deaths but way more infected.

Ebola news coverage is sensationalized nonsense to divert the public's attention from ISIS.

They are both high level threats, even more so because they are occurring at the same time.

Ebola is a level 4 pathogen that requires 1,000 dollars in protective safety gear when dealt with in labs.
And we are talking about this out in the public, with a largely uneducated population
where even the health workers weren't given proper training and protocols and
are running a higher rate of infection than the regular population.

Delta4Embassy are you serious?

Cholera can be contained and cured easily according to WHO:
  1. Treatment of cholera. Cholera is an easily treatable disease. The prompt administration of oral rehydration salts to replace lost fluids nearly always results in cure. In especially severe cases, intravenous administration of fluids may be required to save the patient's life.
Ebola requires careful containment, monitoring and constant support
to make sure the patient sustains.

NOTE: because of the dangers of Ebola and the weakened/loss of health care workers to Ebola,
and the focus on preventing that from spreading,
this ALSO has affected the treatment of the outbreak of Cholera:

Ebola distracts from worsening Cameroon cholera outbreak Reuters

if anything, the imminent dangers of Ebola
have even greater medical implications because of the
loss of health care resources needed for Cholera and other diseases
and conditions that are normally needed for malaria, labor and C-sections, etc.

this is not an either/or situation
but putting a strain on all resources.

even the economy and food access
has been affected by quarantines and travel restrictions.

Delta really???

sleeve_sneeze1.jpg

sleeve_sneeze2.jpg

There may be a simple reason why a disease which is easily spread has not resulted in the death of all Africans. There was a time when Ebola cases were rare. However, there have been more cases of Ebola this year than in all previous outbreaks since 1976 combined. According to one of many reputable sources the present outbreak resulted in 8,000 cases in October; another 20,000 people are expected to be infected in November and by January a total of 1.4 million may be infected. The prognosis is rather scary:

“No matter the precise figure, all these models assume the growth in cases will continue to rise for some time. We're nine months into an exponential growth process," says infectious disease modeler David Fisman. "This is an impossibly huge epidemic, and it's been allowed to reach a point where it's basically the biggest infectious-disease forest fire one could imagine.”

Ebola has infected 8 000 people and could infect 1.4 million by January - 18 things you need to know about Ebola - Vox

It is far worse now than it's ever been and it could be because the virus has mutated. Such mutations are known to be very common.

There are two facts: (1) There are a lot of people in Africa who have not been infected at this time (as you pointed out); and (2) The disease is easily transmitted (as I pointed out) and appears to be spreading exponentially.

Edited to add: The disease is progressing at an alarming rate. If no cure is found and it merely doubled every month, within a year over 1 billion people will be infected. Those who trivialize Ebola don't have a clue.

Last edited:

sleeve_sneeze1.jpg

sleeve_sneeze2.jpg

Yes, suicide by bus when running away from a coughing stranger, is HIGH on the list of causes of death.

8033 Cases

While 8,033 cases may not be of any concern,

sleeve_sneeze1.jpg

sleeve_sneeze2.jpg

8033 Cases

While 8,033 cases may not cause you to be concerned, I must inform you that these people were infected during the month of October, 2014, and that another 20,000 are expected to be infected during November, and a total of 1.4 million may be infected by January. This is a very rapid exponential increase. Do the math and tell me how many millions of people you think will be infected within the next year. The number will blow your mind. It's time to be concerned.

For more details read my past at #37.

For some reason I was unable to edit my post #39. I wanted to add the following: The disease is progressing at an alarming rate. If no cure is found and it merely doubles every month (it's much worse than that right now), within a year over 1 billion people will be infected. Those who trivialize the risk of Ebola don't have a clue.

Forum List

Back