Most Conservatives Still Believe The Civil War Wasn't Over Slavery

I'm still baffled by the fact that the southern states didn't push for a constitutional amendment making succession legal.

It may have taken some time, but once they had that they could have seceded without any question.
I thought they had succeeded in seceding until they fired on Federal property.
It's moot. Declared secession is only a real separation if it succeeds. This rebellion was put down.

Next time conservatives want to pretend that the Civil War wasn't over slavery -- they better travel back in time and tell all of those southern states to stop telling everyone it was over slavery

Actually, there was slavery in the North, both during and after the War of Northern Aggression.

And in fact, the 13th Amendment, which outlawed slavery, was passed without a single Liberal vote.

Northerners didn't care about successionists or worry about them separating destroying America. They fought it because Men were created Equal, even men who didn't look like them. Blacks are free because 300,000 whites died to free them.
What bullshit. Read some American history.

It's all actually moot. For whatever subliminal motivations there may have been, for as long as slavery existed, the federal governement had a moral responsibilty to despose of any state government that allowed slavery.

It's moot. Declared secession is only a real separation if it succeeds. This rebellion was put down.
Only because Federal property was endangered. That gave Lincoln a point of law on which to go to war. Which he took.

Civil War still divides Americans

So after 150 years, the majority of conservatives still believe the Civil War wasn't over slavery?

Why is this? Why do they believe the "States Rights" claim is sufficient enough to shield them from the fact that -- those states rights were those states preserving the right to maintain slavery -- so either way you slice it, the civil war was over slavery --

This is why whenever I see a conservative twisting themselves into pretzels to claim otherwise --- it makes their subsequent claims of not being racist look foolish.

Next time conservatives want to pretend that the Civil War wasn't over slavery -- they better travel back in time and tell all of those southern states to stop telling everyone it was over slavery
Americans, and clearly that means white Americans, are simply dishonest about race.

At no time in this country's history did white American believe that blacks were "that bad off", including during the height of Jim Crow atrocities.

It continues that way today, in where white Americans don't think that blacks "have it that bad" and firmly believe that it's WORSE to be CALLED racist than to have ACTUAL racism occur.

Conservatives are largely white, so....that's the long and short of it.

You po black folks are so put upon. Grow up chile.

Nothing was permanent which is why our founding fathers gave us the 2A. To fight off tyrannical government

-Geaux
So, the Second Amendment is not forever, either?

That's a great point! If you destroy the federal government, you destroy the second amendment! Then you no longer have the right to bear arms.
Well, 'they' are going to come back and say that such a 'right' as the second is not from the government. That is correct. Rights come from humans believing in them, since 'right' is a concept and word created by humans and relative to their interpretation.

I read an interesting statistic about the economics of the South in 1860. I can't vouch for it.

"Two thirds of the wealth of the South was slaves."

Let that sink in.

If that's true the elimination of slavery was a profound economic question.
That was part of their problem too. They focused on agriculture when they should have been focused on industry.

Americans, and clearly that means white Americans, are simply dishonest about race.

At no time in this country's history did white American believe that blacks were "that bad off", including during the height of Jim Crow atrocities.

It continues that way today, in where white Americans don't think that blacks "have it that bad" and firmly believe that it's WORSE to be CALLED racist than to have ACTUAL racism occur.

Conservatives are largely white, so....that's the long and short of it.

So basically the War of Northern Aggression has pretty much just met with an extended and somewhat sketchy cease-fire.

It's all actually moot. For whatever subliminal motivations there may have been, for as long as slavery existed, the federal governement had a moral responsibilty to despose of any state government that allowed slavery.
You may well say that, but others have the opinion that morals are not the venue of the Feds.

Well, let's be precise, when you say "Civil War" are you referring to the war itself or to southern secession? The two are linked, obviously, but they each have different causes.
Here we go
giphy.gif

Oh you mean the democrat war to kill their fellow countrymen rather than give up their slaves, right?

Yea that one -- wasn't that democrat war over slavery?

You know, the democrat war that conservatives keep trying to rewrite for some reason as if they had some part in it and feel ashamed over it?

You po black folks are so put upon. Grow up chile.
Feeling mentally abused huh?

I get it.

Must be tough being white...in America...in 2018.

I can't imagine.

I'm sure things will get better for you...in time.

The civil war was about "keeping the Nation together" and exercising executive power that didnt exist.
Secession was about slavery.
Lincoln didnt give a shit about the slaves, he just didnt want it to SPREAD. He wanted to keep it where it was.
So the Republicans and Democrats didn't really give a shit about slaves?

Got it.

Again....was the civil war over slavery, yes or no?

The civil war was about "keeping the Nation together" and exercising executive power that didnt exist.
Secession was about slavery.
Lincoln didnt give a shit about the slaves, he just didnt want it to SPREAD. He wanted to keep it where it was.
So the Republicans and Democrats didn't really give a shit about slaves?

Got it.

Again....was the civil war over slavery, yes or no?
Could you not gather my opinion from that post you just quoted? :cuckoo:

Oh you mean the democrat war to kill their fellow countrymen rather than give up their slaves, right?

Yea that one -- wasn't that democrat war over slavery?

You know, the democrat war that conservatives keep trying to rewrite for some reason as if they had some part in it and feel ashamed over it?

You're denying democrats left the Union rather than free their slaves?

Forum List

Back