Most Conservatives Still Believe The Civil War Wasn't Over Slavery

You po black folks are so put upon. Grow up chile.
Feeling mentally abused huh?

I get it.

Must be tough being white...in America...in 2018.

I can't imagine.

I'm sure things will get better for you...in time.

Po chile, so many white men....so little time. Put your big boy pants on and grow up....oh wait, that means you'd actually have to take responsibility for yourself. Whatever would you do if you couldn't blame whitey for everything.

Civil War still divides Americans

So after 150 years, the majority of conservatives still believe the Civil War wasn't over slavery?

Why is this? Why do they believe the "States Rights" claim is sufficient enough to shield them from the fact that -- those states rights were those states preserving the right to maintain slavery -- so either way you slice it, the civil war was over slavery --

This is why whenever I see a conservative twisting themselves into pretzels to claim otherwise --- it makes their subsequent claims of not being racist look foolish.

Next time conservatives want to pretend that the Civil War wasn't over slavery -- they better travel back in time and tell all of those southern states to stop telling everyone it was over slavery
I just watched a lot of that Civil War series that was put out by the guy on Fox News. And it was Lincoln who made the war about slavery. Or to be more specific it was Lincoln who made the war about emancipation. He was losing the war until he gave Whites in Blue a reason to fight the Confederates. Northerners didn't care about successionists or worry about them separating destroying America. They fought it because Men were created Equal, even men who didn't look like them. Blacks are free because 300,000 whites died to free them.

However, there are those who fought on the Confederate side who did so because they were loyal to their state governments and not their Federal government. They didn't want the Federal government telling their state what to do.
This is nonsense. If anything, the Emancipation Proclamation caused northern soldiers to abandon their post more than it inspired them to some noble cause.

New York City draft riots - Wikipedia
So who were those people that beat Lee at Gettysburg then?? Come on

This is nonsense. If anything, the Emancipation Proclamation caused northern soldiers to abandon their post more than it inspired them to some noble cause.

New York City draft riots - Wikipedia

Those Irish had it so bad didn't they?

But no matter how bad they had it, at least they weren't no damn darkie!!

And they wasn't gonna fight to free no damn darkies either

Still doesn't answer the question -- Was the Civil War over slavery?

You're denying democrats left the Union rather than free their slaves?
Once again -- was the cause of the Civil War slavery or not?

Most of today's democrats have no problem admitting it was over slavery -- even tho it was the democrats of the 1800's who wanted slavery..

Why do conservatives have such a hard time accepting it tho? Its almost like they are ashamed to admit it -- is it because they know the democrats of then were the conservatives? Does that give you the sads?

Is English not your first language? You posted here under other accounts, why are you having such a hard time all of a sudden
Keep the deflection going -- your affinity for white supremacy is loud and clear

democrats left the Union rather than free their slaves

I'm still baffled by the fact that the southern states didn't push for a constitutional amendment making succession legal.

It may have taken some time, but once they had that they could have seceded without any question.
I thought they had succeeded in seceding until they fired on Federal property.
It's moot. Declared secession is only a real separation if it succeeds. This rebellion was put down.
So it's a question of might makes right?

Absolutely not, it was quite imaginery...

That's certainly not anything I agree with ... Nor is it anyone named Jim Crow that could agree with me.
Would you care to make any further incorrect and unsubstantiated allegations to satisfy your insecurities?

Nothing was permanent which is why our founding fathers gave us the 2A. To fight off tyrannical government

-Geaux
So, the Second Amendment is not forever, either?

That's a great point! If you destroy the federal government, you destroy the second amendment! Then you no longer have the right to bear arms.
Actually plenty of state constitutions have the same right, so that's not correct.

Po chile, so many white men....so little time. Put your big boy pants on and grow up....oh wait, that means you'd actually have to take responsibility for yourself. Whatever would you do if you couldn't blame whitey for everything.
When someone asks you what was the Spanish American war over -- do you struggle to answer the question??

Why so much deflection when it comes to the Civil War?

Why do conservatives take this question so personal?

Civil War still divides Americans

So after 150 years, the majority of conservatives still believe the Civil War wasn't over slavery?

Why is this? Why do they believe the "States Rights" claim is sufficient enough to shield them from the fact that -- those states rights were those states preserving the right to maintain slavery -- so either way you slice it, the civil war was over slavery --

This is why whenever I see a conservative twisting themselves into pretzels to claim otherwise --- it makes their subsequent claims of not being racist look foolish.

Next time conservatives want to pretend that the Civil War wasn't over slavery -- they better travel back in time and tell all of those southern states to stop telling everyone it was over slavery
Hard to believe it is conservative Republicans who are defending the confederacy

Well, let's be precise, when you say "Civil War" are you referring to the war itself or to southern secession? The two are linked, obviously, but they each have different causes.
Here we go
giphy.gif
So you started a discussion to have people pat you on the back, or to discuss a topic?

Well, let's be precise, when you say "Civil War" are you referring to the war itself or to southern secession? The two are linked, obviously, but they each have different causes.
What was the difference?
Well the first wave of secession was obviously primarily related to fears about slavery, but the second wave after Fort Sumter was due to Lincoln's policies in response to Fort Sumter. Then the Civil War itself was based on Lincoln's desire to force the southern states to remain in the Union, and as he himself favored an amendment explicitly enshrining slavery as a constitutional right it would be incorrect to say that the Civil War was fought over slavery.
This is wrong. The issue was expansion of slavery into the territories and Lincoln didn't favor an amendment for slavery forever, at worse he would accept it to keep the peace, but he would not allow it to spread to Kansas, or to us taking in Cuba as a slave state.
Yes, Lincoln was opposed to the expansion of slavery, but don't misrepresent the Corwin Amendment that he supported and which is clear.

"No amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will authorize or give to Congress the power to abolish or interfere, within any State, with the domestic institutions thereof, including that of persons held to labor or service by the laws of said State."

Here we go
giphy.gif
So you started a discussion to have people pat you on the back, or to discuss a topic?
Once again -- it is a yes or no answer -- was the Civil War over slavery -- yes or no

The only people who try to parse words over this and that are usually people with an affinity to the confederate cause -- the old "lost cause" defense revisionist racists always try to use when they want to rehabilitate the fact that fighting to preserve slavery is nothing short of evil, plain and simple.

You po black folks are so put upon. Grow up chile.
Feeling mentally abused huh?

I get it.

Must be tough being white...in America...in 2018.

I can't imagine.

I'm sure things will get better for you...in time.

Conservative whites to be precise. Misinformed conservative chumps to be precise. Conservative fools today and conservative fools in 1861, fighting for the greedy idiot conservative 1% again LOL..

Here is how a sane adult who read more than 2 history books answers that question

Was the Civil War over slavery? Yes!

This is how a person with unresolved racism and pro-white supremacist views answers that question

Was the Civil War over slavery? No!!! and democrats started it!! but not over slavery!! but Democrats want to bring back slavery -- but not back then, because it wasn't over slavery!! Obama is a muslim!!
So you definitely wanted a pat on the back rather than actually discussing the topic. Got it.

When someone asks you what was the Spanish American war over -- do you struggle to answer the question??

Why so much deflection when it comes to the Civil War?

Why do conservatives take this question so personal?

You've got it in your pointed little head it was over slavery and nothing is going to change your mind.

Attention whore

I don't think they had different causes, they seceded because they wanted to control their own economy, and slavery was a part of their economy, although not all slave states seceded.

Although I guess an argument could be made that the right to secede was invoked, the reasons for it were tied to slavery.
That's essentially what I just said. The deep south seceded primarily over slavery. After Fort Sumter states like Virginia seceded due to Lincoln's response. But that's different from why the Civil War was fought.
But then slave states like Maryland, Kentucky and Missouri didn't secede, so it might be partially geographical and strategic.

The questions are, what if states would have tried seceding at another time in history over something else? Obviously the Civil War set some precedents.
Well Maryland was under martial law by Lincoln so it's probable they would have seceded. As for other times in history, the New England states threatened to secede in 1814 but ultimately did not. And of course the south was going to secede over the nullification crisis while Jackson was president, but they got a reduction in tariffs and didn't.
A group of northers threatened secession, not the north, and South Carolina in 1832 feared Jackson would drench the state in blood if they broke up the union
I didn't say "the north," I said "the New England states." And did the tariff South Carolina opposed not get lowered in response to their threats to leave the Union? Yes, it did.

Here we go
giphy.gif
Once again -- it is a yes or no answer -- was the Civil War over slavery -- yes or no

The only people who try to parse words over this and that are usually people with an affinity to the confederate cause -- the old "lost cause" defense revisionist racists always try to use when they want to rehabilitate the fact that fighting to preserve slavery is nothing short of evil, plain and simple.

It was over several reasons it's not a yes or no question. In fact it's over your head

I'm still baffled by the fact that the southern states didn't push for a constitutional amendment making succession legal.

It may have taken some time, but once they had that they could have seceded without any question.
Why bother? Secession was widely believed to be constitutional so nobody would have thought an amendment was necessary.
So it was ok to take away peoples citizenship in a secession state? People did not think that
I don't even know what you're asking me here. Whose citizenship was taken away?

Forum List

Back