Missouri Republicans are trying to ban food stamp recipients from buying steak and seafood

If they want to buy steak and seafood with that handy dandy EBT card then let em.

When they run out of money before the end of the month it will be just to damned bad.
^^^ Amen to that. And then next time if there is one for them, they will remember to spend their money more wisely.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. Actually to me, that is how it should be for anyone. Prioritize and wisely spend and you will have fewer problems.

Both of you are completely missing the point.

The whole reason that people using their EBT cards to purchase steak and seafood, is that they don't need the money.

If a person was completely impoverished and worrying about where their next meal was coming from..... we wouldn't even be talking about this, because it wouldn't happen.

The whole reason they are doing this is because they are not starving.

In fact, the majority are not even buying food for themselves. They are buying food for someone else, who paid them money for it.

We had this happen right on our production floor. A lady came in with an EBT card, and asked everyone if they wanted to buy it from her.

How does this work? Well if you have an EBT card with $500 on it, you pay the girl $200, and she buys you $500 worth of food. It costs her nothing, and now she's got $200 in cash to buy drugs or a new Iphone.

How was she working a full time job, and yet collecting EBT, which she sold to get more money? Easy. Fraud. We've been telling the left about that for ages.

No one is going to buy steak and shrimp and then go hungry for the rest of the month. They are typically selling the card, and pocketing the cash.
Same with WIC. We had a girl at work who would hand out jars of peanut butter and boxes if cereal because she " had too many".

Where we live you can go to the grocery the day benefits come out and have numerous people offer to sell them to you, they hang out in front of the stores

And as an aside. It gets pretty bad when a person works for a corporation making 18.00/hr owns two houses...Rents one out to the government for HUD ( guaranteed income from the government). And then still apparently collects WIC and SNAP because her husband was illegal.

And the progressives apparently are fine with this system abuse.

Go figure
If I knew about it they would not be getting any assistance..But I like fairy tales...

Koch says we should stop handing out corporate welfare on Wall Street. Some other folks think it would be best if we stop feeding poor folks sliced beef and kids pop corn shrimp. I agree with the billionaire on this one.

I think we should stop handing out taxpayer dollars, period.

I realize that you desperately want to believe that conservatives LOVE giving away tax money to businesses, but we're really not obligated to defend positions you imagine that we hold and project onto us.
We certainly know that conservatives only use their religion as a crutch to hold up their character...

If they want to buy steak and seafood with that handy dandy EBT card then let em.

When they run out of money before the end of the month it will be just to damned bad.
^^^ Amen to that. And then next time if there is one for them, they will remember to spend their money more wisely.

Holly

P.S. Actually to me, that is how it should be for anyone. Prioritize and wisely spend and you will have fewer problems.

The whole reason that people using their EBT cards to purchase steak and seafood, is that they don't need the money.

If a person was completely impoverished and worrying about where their next meal was coming from..... we wouldn't even be talking about this, because it wouldn't happen.

In fact, the majority are not even buying food for themselves. They are buying food for someone else, who paid them money for it.

We had this happen right on our production floor. A lady came in with an EBT card, and asked everyone if they wanted to buy it from her.

How does this work? Well if you have an EBT card with $500 on it, you pay the girl $200, and she buys you $500 worth of food. It costs her nothing, and now she's got $200 in cash to buy drugs or a new Iphone.

How was she working a full time job, and yet collecting EBT, which she sold to get more money? Easy. Fraud. We've been telling the left about that for ages.

No one is going to buy steak and shrimp and then go hungry for the rest of the month. They are typically selling the card, and pocketing the cash.
Same with WIC. We had a girl at work who would hand out jars of peanut butter and boxes if cereal because she " had too many".

Where we live you can go to the grocery the day benefits come out and have numerous people offer to sell them to you, they hang out in front of the stores

And as an aside. It gets pretty bad when a person works for a corporation making 18.00/hr owns two houses...Rents one out to the government for HUD ( guaranteed income from the government). And then still apparently collects WIC and SNAP because her husband was illegal.

Go figure
If I knew about it they would not be getting any assistance..But I like fairy tales...
Ya, sounds like a fairy tale. In my state it could be solved with a toll free anonymous phone call.

Holly

Go figure
Food stamp fraud rampant GAO report Fox News

Go figure
Ya, sounds like a fairy tale. In my state it could be solved with a toll free anonymous phone call.
Food stamp fraud increasingly sophisticated despite reports of drop in cases Fox News

Go figure
Well worth the read. The article makes it clear that individual states are responsible for enforcement and some states are not keep up with their responsibilities. They are taking the extra cash from the feds for increased benefits but not investing anything in enforcement. In Texas they won't even investigate unless the fraud amount is at least $5,000. In Tennessee the number is $100. So in Texas you can feel pretty secure that if you are only stealing a few thousand dollars and don't hit that $5,000 dollar limit, no one is even going to bother asking questions about you and your thievery.
The article makes clear it is not the fed's, the amounts of the benefits or the people who need the benefits that are at fault. The blame lies squarely on the states who are failing to enforce the laws designed to safeguard against misuse.

Go figure
Well worth the read. The article makes it clear that individual states are responsible for enforcement and some states are not keep up with their responsibilities. They are taking the extra cash from the feds for increased benefits but not investing anything in enforcement. In Texas they won't even investigate unless the fraud amount is at least $5,000. In Tennessee the number is $100. So in Texas you can feel pretty secure that if you are only stealing a few thousand dollars and don't hit that $5,000 dollar limit, no one is even going to bother asking questions about you and your thievery.
The article makes clear it is not the fed's, the amounts of the benefits or the people who need the benefits that are at fault. The blame lies squarely on the states who are failing to enforce the laws designed to safeguard against misuse.

The dollar value is the same for credit card fraud. If under 5000 they will not investigate.

At any rate... Doesn't matter who is at fault for lax investigation. It's still theft and abuse of tax payer money.

Go figure

The dollar value is the same for credit card fraud. If under 5000 they will not investigate.

At any rate... Doesn't matter who is at fault for lax investigation. It's still theft and abuse of tax payer money.
It's a big deal. A very big deal. In Tennessee if a single working mom with a two kids is collecting $200 per month after her pay adjustment is made, and her boyfriend or baby daddy moves into the house her $200 per month in SNAP should cease. If someone tells on her or somehow the state of Tennessee finds out about this possible fraud, an investigation will be implements and the people committing the fraud may come to justice. That justice will prevent others from committing the same fraud.
Now take that case to Texas. The exact same situation would not even be enough to start an investigation. Two hundred a month doesn't come close to the $5,000 required to start the investigation. Might as well just tell baby daddy he can live in the house and eat babies food. Doesn't even have to be daddy. Any multiple combination of boyfriends can come in and gobble up the kids food. Texas doesn't care.
I don't know about you, but if given a choice about where to send my tax money to assist hungry kids I want mine going to Tennessee. Fuck Texas.

Go figure

It's a big deal. A very big deal. In Tennessee if a single working mom with a two kids is collecting $200 per month after her pay adjustment is made, and her boyfriend or baby daddy moves into the house her $200 per month in SNAP should cease. If someone tells on her or somehow the state of Tennessee finds out about this possible fraud, an investigation will be implements and the people committing the fraud may come to justice. That justice will prevent others from committing the same fraud.
Now take that case to Texas. The exact same situation would not even be enough to start an investigation. Two hundred a month doesn't come close to the $5,000 required to start the investigation. Might as well just tell baby daddy he can live in the house and eat babies food. Doesn't even have to be daddy. Any multiple combination of boyfriends can come in and gobble up the kids food. Texas doesn't care.
I don't know about you, but if given a choice about where to send my tax money to assist hungry kids I want mine going to Tennessee. Fuck Texas.

And? What does that have to do with fraud in general? Since it apparently
rampant in Washington, Wisconsin and Michigan ( to name three)?

Koch says we should stop handing out corporate welfare on Wall Street. Some other folks think it would be best if we stop feeding poor folks sliced beef and kids pop corn shrimp. I agree with the billionaire on this one.

I think we should stop handing out taxpayer dollars, period.

I realize that you desperately want to believe that conservatives LOVE giving away tax money to businesses, but we're really not obligated to defend positions you imagine that we hold and project onto us.
We certainly know that conservatives only use their religion as a crutch to hold up their character...

We certainly know that leftists hate religion because it points out that they have no character at all.

It isn't just my position. You guys who run away from admitting to huge corporate welfare give away programs now have to contend with a top conservative billionaire openly admitting to it's existence, describing and explaining it in detail and warning about how it is bankrupting the economy. His name is Charles Koch. He is one of the brothers that financed the creation of the Tea Party movement and a leading conservative spokesperson.

You will note, it is the universal position of every CONSERVATIVE in the country to eliminate "crony corporatism" and restore true free market capitalism. The politicians who are in bed with the crony corporatists are Hillary and Jeb. The Liberal and Republican Elite are OWNED by the corporatists.

And? What does that have to do with fraud in general? Since it apparently
rampant in Washington, Wisconsin and Michigan ( to name three)?
It means state enforcement must be directly determined by benefit funding because states can not be trusted to finance and enforce proper use of federal funds. They have to be prodded into fulfilling their roles as agreed upon when they accepted the funds to help their citizens to start with. Determine the states with the best enforcement records and least amount of fraud and make all states follow those standards or risk the lose of federal assistance being given to the state for implementation.

Holly

I am glad no one is going hungry ;) That is a awesome thing!

I wish people like you, that support this crap, were the only ones who had to pay for it. Suddenly, you wouldn't be so much in favor.

The problem with leftist ignorance and stupidity, is that it punishes everyone, not just the morons pushing it.

We have GOT TO INCREASE spending on infrastructure, science, and education. We have got to cut spending on nation building in the middle east and bank bail-outs!

We've covered this. Greece spent billions on infrastructure, and ruined their entire economy. China has done the same, and although the economy isn't wrecked like Greece, it's hit a slump. Entire cities built, and no one lives there. Japan has dumped billions into infrastructure, and their economy is still in a now 20 year slump.

Infrastructure is not an automatic benefit to the economy, and clearly that's confirmed by that massive $800 Billion dollar stimulus bill we passed in 2009, and yet here we are still whining about the economy and infrastructure.

If infrastructure was the cure-all you morons claim it is, then why didn't you cure all when you had both houses of congress, and the presidency? We passed your dumb 'borrow to our future bankruptcy' bill.... why didn't you spend it on infrastructure if that was so important?

And education.... we already spend more on education than anyone else. Our students are dumber than countries that spend a fraction on education than we do. Clearly you "blow money on education forever" plan has not worked. It's insanity to continue the same policies we've had for the last 30 years, and think it will magically make it better this time.

Lastly, we spend too much on science as it is, which is why so much science is absolute trash.

There are several key problems with government funded science.

First, government science grants keep professors out of the class room. There is epidemic of student teachers, teachings classes, while the professor is off doing research on grant money.

Second, some professors are not even doing the research either. Some of them spend all their time just writing grants.

Grant Writer Salary Indeed.com

Look at this? We now have "Grant Writer" as a permanent full time position. We have professional "grant writers" who do not teach, or do research. All they do, is figure out how to suck more "science money" out of the government, and a professional grant writer can earn $70,000 just writing grants. That's their whole job.

Ridiculous! And you think science money is a fix for what again? All it's fixed, is giving people a job to do nothing but write grants, a middle class income while producing nothing, on the backs of working people, you demand pay more taxes. Brilliant....

And even the science that is done, is bad science. Even fabricated science.

Independent labs to verify high-profile papers Nature News Comment

There is now a push to test scientific research for validity. Why? Because tons of science today isn't true. They make it up, and publish it.

Why do they do this? Because grant money is limited, and in order to keep the grant, you have to show results. So if you are in the middle of a project, and the grant money runs out... how do you keep your research going? Well you write up a paper, apply for a grant, and 'make up' that you found something justifying your grant research.

How does this pass peer-review? Guess what... all of your 'peer' are guys just like you, trying to justify getting their grant money. You call my paper good... and I'll call your paper good... and we'll both get our government funded scientific research grants.

Fake peer review Scientific journals publish fraudulent plagiarized or nonsense papers.

They are all doing this. Because that's how they get more grant money from the government, so they can stay out of the class room teaching students, and in their private office, letting student teachers and student researchers do the work.

Well done leftists.... good work. Screwing over science and students, and working tax payers, all at the exact same time.

Another example, I just came across. Medical science published. Read the PDF at the bottom.

The article above in Nature, listed this example. This is sickening, and yet I've heard enough other stories, it's not the least bit surprising.

Why A Fake Article Titled Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs Was Accepted By 17 Medical Journals Fast Company Business Innovation

17 different medical journals published this article "Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs". It starts off having a decent abstract, and by the end, he wrote just jibberish.

5. Conclusion
Abilities forfeited situation extremely my to he resembled. Old had conviction discretion understood put principles you. Match means keeps round one her quick.​

17 Medical journals published that.

This is modern American science today, thanks to your government intervention.

You say, why the heck would that be caused by government funding? This was an example to show how easy it is to have a 'peer-reviewed' crap published in scientific journals. That was jibberish, most are not 'jibberish', but that are no less made up and wrong.

Why do 'scientists' do this? Because then they can have their grant writer, put into the grant, that their research resulted in an article published in a peer-reviewed journal. Which is completely accurate and true. Thus, the grant needs to be renewed or extended, to continue their oh-so-important research. After all, they are getting results.... they have an article in a peer-reviewed journal.

Your middle class isn't getting more wealthy. They're losing ground. Only the wealthy are getting wealthier.

View attachment 45879
Here you can see what is happening to the so-called "middle class."
BN-GD953_assetm_G_20141224145352.jpg

You won't believe these pies. I don't believe too, but I don't believe yours because there are no independent sources of information. The only truth I know is top 1% get richer and others get poorer. Every day.

You won't believe these pies. I don't believe too, but I don't believe yours because there are no independent sources of information. The only truth I know is top 1% get richer and others get poorer. Every day.

Well, the US Census Bureau is hardly a "biased" source of info. If we can't trust their data then we're spending an awful lot of taxpayer dollars gathering it.

You have been brainwashed with propaganda. You should be interested to know, it's the same propaganda espoused by Mao which sparked "the people's revolution" in China. Playing off the ignorance and stupidity of people who are frustrated with failed socialist policies.

There is no system which has ever existed or ever can exist where there is not a Top 1%. Even in a pure Communist, Totalitarian hard line system devoid of any capitalism. In those cases, the Top 1% are also your rulers. The only difference is, the less free enterprise and free market capitalism you have, the less change there is among those who belong to the Top 1%.

The Top 1% always get richer faster in a free market system because they generally are better at making money. Another thing that is great about freedom and free enterprise systems, the people aren't relegated to "class" their entire lives. We are free to move from one class to another, from poor to middle, from middle to wealthy, back to middle, etc. Very FEW people live their entire lives in one "class" here... that was often the case in 19th century Europe and Asia, when Socialism and Maoism arose. That's why all your liberal socialist arguments are geared around "working class" or "middle class" ...because back when your ideology was created that was the plight of life... you were born into your class and remained there all your life.

I tell people all the time, if the poor aren't getting wealthy as fast as the wealthy, maybe they should be something besides poor? If the "worker" doesn't like his low wages, be something besides a "worker" and make more! No one is stopping you!

Go figure

Yeah dude.... that's part of the problem. The Federal Government is an expert at demanding other people cover their wastes of government money. For example, they demand to increase Medicare and Medicaid.... right? But what many people don't know, is that they only cover a percentage of that cost. The rest they require the states to pay. And Medicare/Medicaid fraud? That's up to the states to stop.

And the states have no choice but to take the money and fund the program, or they lose all the money, and then people scream that the state cut their health care.

It's a lose lose for the states, and a win win for the Federal Government. Then when there is fraud.... they blame the states.

The whole point, which I think was made perfectly here... is that the system encourages fraud. The system inherently lends itself to fraud. Not that much different than the system that led Greece to a catastrophe.

This is why we on the right, are against the system to begin with.

Your middle class isn't getting more wealthy. They're losing ground. Only the wealthy are getting wealthier.

View attachment 45879
Here you can see what is happening to the so-called "middle class."
BN-GD953_assetm_G_20141224145352.jpg

What do you mean we won't believe them? Anyone who knows anything about the rich, knows what you see in those pie charts is both expected, and natural. Very very few of the rich have tons and tons of raw cash. Very few. When you read in the papers that so-and-so is a billionaire, people get this freak idea that they have billions of 'dollars' in money.

Take Warren Buffet for example. Whenever Buffet calls for increased taxes, and all the leftists run around screaming that Buffet says we should increase taxes on the rich.... I laugh. Buffet doesn't earn that much "money". His yearly salary is only $100,000 a year. You could raise the top marginal rate, or even the second marginal rate, to 99%, and Buffet would never pay an additional penny to the government.

Buffet, like the vast majority of the top 1% in America, only collect a fraction of their income in 'money'. The rest of it, is all equity in their respective businesses.

The owner of the company I work for currently, he started off as an engineer. Worked his way up. Married, had a family, bought a home. Then he did something crazy. He didn't blow all his money on crap. Instead he sunk all his spare cash into his home. But they he did something even more crazy. When the business started to fail, he mortgaged his home, and bought the business. Then he turned the business around.

Today he's a small business owner. Only 20 employees, but he's in that 1% pie. The vast majority of his wealth, is the value of the business he owns. Why you people think that's bad, is beyond me.

Moreover, your claim that the rich get rich, while the poor get poorer.... is just flat out false.

There is no measurement where you can claim the poor, are getting poorer. Rich getting richer? Sure. Again, this is natural and expected. The rich 'invest' their money. Investments give a return... or no one would invest in them.

Now do some people become poor? Sure. It's called wasting money. I'll give you an example.

There was a lady in Canada that won $10 Million. She blew it all. Cars, bling bling, parties, fancy living. She's now broke. Doesn't even have a car. Rides the bus to an hourly job.

Compare that to Steve Jobs. Steve Jobs got $10 Million too. He used that to purchase a small little business called "Pixar". And years later sold it for $10 Billion.

The reason the rich are rich, is because they invest. The result most poor, are poor, is because they blow it.

And it's not just Steve Jobs and people like him. Phil Robertson was a drunk. He started whittling wooden duck callers. Then he started selling them. Fast forward a dozen years, and he's the owner of a multi-million dollar company, and has his own TV show.

He was poor.... but he invested.... now he's rich.

And even if you exclude the people who advance from being in the lowest income bracket.
Again, as I said, the poor are not getting poorer.

The poorest people in our country, live a higher standard of living than most of the people on the planet. You go to Africa, and you'll see poor.

In fact, most poor have a higher standard of living than the middle class in most of Europe.

They have cars, TVs, Cable TV, Internet, Microwaves, Cell phones, Smart Phones, and the obesity rate is higher with the poor, than the middle class.

They are not getting poorer. THey are getting richer. As rich as the wealthy? Of course not. But they have a much higher standard of living than the poor of the 50s, 60s, 70s, and even the 80s.

Forum List

Back