Methods off preaching, conversion, spreading the Faith and religious tolerance

UsaPride said:
I've never heard of Christian people being so forceful. Assaulting, tresspassing, destroying property. We must just have the nice Christians here, LOL!
I look at talking Religion just like I do anything else. If someone came up to me at the grocery store and started talking about gays rights and I didn't want to discuss it, myself, I'd probably just nod and find ways out of the conversation without being rude. But that is just me, I don't like being rude.
So, same goes for Religion, someone wants to discuss it, I nod, smile, find an out and take it.
What's the big deal? Not trying to be rude, I just really don't understand all the fuss.

That is definitely an easy way to avoid such a discussion if you are in the position where you can leave. We've been trying to determine whose rights take precedence (sender's or receiver's) when an opportunity to leave doesn't exist, like while you are at work.

MissileMan said:
That is definitely an easy way to avoid such a discussion if you are in the position where you can leave. We've been trying to determine whose rights take precedence (sender's or receiver's) when an opportunity to leave doesn't exist, like while you are at work.

Let's make it simple.

If it is at work and it is another employee, you tell them once, or maybe twice and then no matter what the subject, it becomes harrassment.

If it is a customer, well, tuff shit. You can express your desire not to hear it, but unless you own the business, you can't tell the customer to not come back. Therefore, if you don't like it, YOU are the one that has to leave.

MissileMan said:
Well, as the right of Freedom of Religion has been said to also include Freedom from Religion, do you think it's possible that right of Freedom of Speech also includes Freedom from Speech?
Hell if I know----I'm not trying to turn this into a game of semantics--I just find it intersting how things are resolved (not legally) when 2 peoples rights interfere with each other. It certainly isn't "commen sense dictates" or "what people should know to be appropriate" because that obviously doesn't work.
My guess is that one side backs down, as USA suggested---either out of courtesy or disinterest.
Big fights result from a refusal to take a single step backwards ?

dilloduck said:
Big fights result from a refusal to take a single step backwards ?

Usually you find that type of person has the same attitude towards everything. That's not the kind of employee you want. Why let them wreck everything for everyone else?

freeandfun1 said:
If it is at work and it is another employee, you tell them once, or maybe twice and then no matter what the subject, it becomes harrassment.
Exactly. Let your boss know and they can deal with that employee. Same goes if they're talking to you about anything you don't want to talk about.
Is this really that difficult? I mean, are there really an abudence of Christians out there tackling their co-workers, talking about God even AFTER they're told not to? Honestly, I'm in shock!

If it is a customer, well, tuff shit. You can express your desire not to hear it, but unless you own the business, you can't tell the customer to not come back. Therefore, if you don't like it, YOU are the one that has to leave.
This is where I nod and find an out. Why be rude? If you don't want to talk about God, change the subject to maybe why the hell they're in your place of business to begin with. If they're there just to talk about God and your place of buisness isn't a Church, then excuse yourself and get back to work.

I could see Isaac wanting a law to enforce workplace ban on religious speech.

Not to turn your own words against you, but... This is strictly your opinion, and not fact. He said no such thing. Perhaps you're being unbending, and illogical.

Shattered said:
Not to turn your own words against you, but... This is strictly your opinion, and not fact. He said no such thing. Perhaps you're being unbending, and illogical.

I'm just saying I wouldn't put it past him or any lib. i maybe slightly jumping ahead, but I'm not even close to being unbending or illogical.

***shrugs**** ****flips the bird****

dilloduck said:
If you would read my post instead of just quoting part of it maybe you would like to respond?

I was quoting the part of it that I didn't agree with, it wasn't an attempt to alter the context of your post.

rtwngAvngr said:
I'm just saying I wouldn't put it past him or any lib. i maybe slightly jumping ahead, but I'm not even close to being unbending or illogical.

***shrugs**** ****flips the bird****

I'd say it's a safe assumption based on past *discussion*.

MissileMan said:
I was quoting the part of it that I didn't agree with, it wasn't an attempt to alter the context of your post.

well i guess you altered it inadvertantly np------just feel like zapping me or would you like to comment on the WHOLE post?

Nice to see "intelligence" is based solely upon one's ability to agree with the majority of those present.

I guess that's why some of us seem to have gone a tad farther in life than others.. Not caring about majority opinion does seem to have it's advantages after all.

rtwngAvngr said:
.... do you think religious speech is inherently divisive and should be deemed inappropriate in the workplace?
I may not agree but, If the owner of the company thinks so, that's the way it is.

I'm sure you know who Ted Turner is. When he owned CNN
he instituted a No Smoking policy. Not just in the work place but in your private life as well.
If you work at/or for CNN in anyway you could not smoke. Is that an infringement on your right to smoke?
Sure it is...but only as long as you choose to work for him.

The owner dictates what you can and can't do if you work for him/Her...Did Turner go to far? Maybe. But the point is, if the owner of a company makes policy, ya either accept it, live with it or leave. You have no right to run his business nor dictate policy. Speech or otherwise.

Mr. P said:
Iif the owner of a company makes policy, ya either accept it, live with it or leave. You have no right to run his business nor dictate policy. Speech or otherwise.
If there's a policy against it, then of course you can't do it. I thought we were talking about if there's no policy. How do you handle that situation.
And if there is a policy at your work, would that be just for the co-workers, or would customers have to follow that also?

Mr. P said:
I may not agree but, If the owner of the company thinks so, that's the way it is.

I'm sure you know who Ted Turner is. When he owned CNN
he instituted a No Smoking policy. Not just in the work place but in your private life as well.
If you work at/or for CNN in anyway you could not smoke. Is that an infringement on your right to smoke?
Sure it is...but only as long as you choose to work for him.

The owner dictates what you can and can't do if you work for him/Her...Did Turner go to far? Maybe. But the point is, if the owner of a company makes policy, ya either accept it, live with it or leave. You have no right to run his business nor dictate policy. Speech or otherwise.

We agree here. Keep up, man. We've all established this already.

What would your policy be? and why? would you deem any religious speech inherently divisive and therefore off limits?

Shattered said:
Nice to see "intelligence" is based solely upon one's ability to agree with the majority of those present.

Yes it is isn't it?

I guess that's why some of us seem to have gone a tad farther in life than others.. Not caring about majority opinion does seem to have it's advantages after all.

It's a public message board, posting your thoughts leaves them open to comments, whatever they may be. You can continue to argue, or not,the choice is yours.

Forum List

Back