Methods off preaching, conversion, spreading the Faith and religious tolerance

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Isaac Brock, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Isaac Brock

Isaac Brock Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I observed the discussion in the previous few threads which seem to some how get stuck into whether it is acceptable to have religious discussions at work. I don't think anyone really cares about religious discussion it is when one is doing so in order to spread their faith or convert that it becomes an issue.

It itself, I hardly see it as being bad. However, I'm sure everyone can agree that there are methods and times that are appropriate and times where, though they may be legally allowed, it is entirely unwelcome. Personally I don't want to be preached out of the blue.

If someone want to really show me their faith, I would firstmost want it to be from a friend, someone who has taken the time to know me. I will not accept solicitation of faith from a stranger. Since faith relies so much on trust, one can see how it is a reasonable requisite.

Judging my actions and all I do wrong according to one's own moral code isn't really welcoming, however inviting me to one's church, place of worship or activity is. In addition, knowing when to accept no as an answer and thus providing patience in what is admittingly a tough subject is appreciated.

Lastly, the best possible way to show me their faith is to be a model of one's faith. I have been duely impressed in my lifetime by people who walk-the-walk firstly, and talk-the-talk secondly. Going along with this, I have also been impressed with people who still keep an open mind on other people's faith. While that doesn't mean accepting or even liking other people's faith, it can help having civil and enjoyable spiritual discussions.

Legally, I'm sure it's possible to preach or be preached at almost anywhere at anytime and I certainly would never suggest changing that. However, given the goal of spreading's one faith, it would be reasonable to ask that it be done in a manner that is welcoming to those outside the faith.

What do you people think?

2. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    religion sex and politics are the only decent topics of discussion

but has been said discussion is one thing unwanted conversion / indoctrination is another

3. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I will reply tomorrow..... too late tonight and too much wine!

4. HorhayAtAMD

HorhayAtAMD Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    The thing I personally can't stand more than anything else is when religion is sold as a product. If you are going door to door, you are "selling" a religion just like an encyclopedia salesman sells encyclopedias. If you are leaving pamphlets on bus benches, you are advertising a product just like Sony does. I think that tactics like these cheapen the religion you are choosing to push and the "converts" you get are not likely to be the ones who are truly committed to whatever you just sold them.

I've always believed that the ones who are truly lost will be the ones to seek YOU out and the best thing to do is be open to the call when it comes. Quality, not quantity, should be the goal.

Amen (pun? intended)

5. Working Man

Working Man Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Speaking of being Preached to.

I don't belive it Christmas, but I get stuck in the middle of it every year. I am not religeous but I am offended that most people say Happy Holidays to me instead of Merry Christmas. Why? I think it is because I was born here in the US, and so I was always exposed to Christmas activities. (the music, the decorations, the school plays, the sales fliers) It has probably has had an effect. Yet, whether you like it or not, the US government shuts down for days associated with Christmas and Easter. But if you try to put a nativity scene up on public property, or have and Easter Egg hunt on school property, you are in deep doo doo.. Go figure.

Are people becoming more PC, or has the "melting pot" finally melted itself???

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Treating religious salesman like any other salesman is a difficult thing for many people and I think it's because people see them as some kind of representative from God and are scared to death to hurt their feelings. They come across as confident as any door to door salesman should about their product which can also be intimidating. My room mate runs when she she's them coming and tells me to handle it. I just ell em I don't have time to talk with em and they go away. Salesman try to sell people crap 24/7 in a variety of ways but usually it's not a face to face encounter. Some assertion skills some in handy to protect your own space. No one else can guard it for ya better than you can.

7. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Not on my private property it's not....Other than that, I agree with the rest of what you said. :)

8. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    For once I agree with you. When did "Merry Christmas" become as offenisve as "hey, you must be hung like a gorilla"?

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403

LMAO--your such a lady this morning !!!!!

10. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Can you name one guy who would find that statement offensive? I've wracked my brain, and I can't.