Is The Cost of College Worth Debt?

I'm tapping out fast on an iPhone. I could give too shits about spelling and grammar. Those who can't attack your facts attack your spelling or personality. Those that go to college on average make way more than those that don't. Janitor

Lack of attention to detail is the sign of a poor attitude.

And you have yet to offer any facts about anything.

You stick to name calling and personal attacks. So here are a few facts.

You aren't smart enough to run a successful business so you denigrate those that are.

You spend your life working for someone else, yet you think you are superior.

You are slovenly in your use of language which indicates that you are most likely poor at many other skills.

FYI the correct phrase is I couldn't give two shits about whatever. You phrasing actually states the opposite.

Why don't you go back to school?

Last edited:
I'm superior in education level, I don't think any person is better than any other. This thread is about wether college is worth the cost. I've see a hundred studies saying it's

I showed you how investing tuition rather than going to school results in the exact same or better monetary position at age 65. So how can college be worth more than not going when at best it is equal monetarily?

And didn't you mention before that a particular activity was beneath you? Seems to me you do believe you are better than other people.

Last edited:
I'm superior in education level, I don't think any person is better than any other. This thread is about wether college is worth the cost. I've see a hundred studies saying it's

I showed you how investing tuition rather than going to school results in the exact same or better monetary position at age 65. So how can college be worth more than not going when at best it is equal monetarily?

Some degree of job satisfaction has to play into your equation.

Some degree of job satisfaction has to play into your equation.

I disagree. The argument was that college gives you X amount more income than not going. That has nothing to do with job satisfaction.

college was on average $1000 bucks a year, when I went to school....the yearly, near double digit increase in the cost of an upper education has put in to play, it may not give you a return on investment as it once did.

I only completed 2 years, before I got married and had to quit because we could not afford it....BUT, I worked my tail off and in just 5-10 years, I made nearly DOUBLE of what my sister made as a teacher with her masters degree....by my 15th year working I made over triple of what my sister made as a school teacher with a higher degree.....

It can be done with or without a 4 year degree, if you have the tenacity to make it happen....now that i am retired and not working, I am planning on completing my education....just because I enjoy school and learning.

I think your an idiot skull. Maybe your paretns are rich, but I can tell you for fact that it's extreemly rare if not unprecedented for a kid to have 60 to 100,000 to invest instead of going to school.
Show me a study, ccause I see them all the time and they all say career earnings are way more. Don't name call if you don't want it coming back.

A survey of last year's college graduates revealed that 80 percent moved back home after graduating, up a good bit from 63 percent in 2006, the Baltimore Sun reports. The same CollegeGrad.com survey of 2,000 young adults also showed that seven in 10 graduates said they would live at home until they got a job.With the unemployment rate at 14.7 percent for people aged 20 to 24--double what it was in 2007--that could be awhile. Add in a record student-loan debt for undergraduates--$22,700, according to the College Board--and any credit card debt a student is carrying, and it could be even longer.

How to make it work when college grads return home to live.

Contrast this with a recent Pew Research survey found that only one out of five grown children (aged 18-34) now lives with his or her parents. So, far more college graduates are living with their parents than their non-graduating peers.

Last edited:

And didn't you mention before that a particular activity was beneath you? Seems to me you do believe you are better than other people.

I'm sorry you fail to see that as ludicrous. Example have you ever known someone to do that?

I think your an idiot skull. Maybe your paretns are rich, but I can tell you for fact that it's extreemly rare if not unprecedented for a kid to have 60 to 100,000 to invest instead of going to school.
Show me a study, ccause I see them all the time and they all say career earnings are way more. Don't name call if you don't want it coming back.

My parent's weren't rich.

My Dad died when I was 2 and my mother never earned more than 30K a year.

When I was 18 I had over 40K saved for college. I worked since i was 14. I lied about my age to get a job in a supermarket. When I turned 16 I was working almost 40 hours a week and 60 hours a week or more in the summer and I saved it all. I started taking college courses at night when I was a junior so I was three semesters ahead of my fellow high school students upon graduation. And I did all that while keeping an A average.

So don't tell me it can't be done. Because it obviously can be done if you would just do it and stop your whining about how it can't be done.

When I was 18 I had over 40K saved for college. I worked since i was 14. I lied about my age to get a job in a supermarket. When I turned 16 I was working almost 40 hours a week and 60 hours a week or more in the summer and I saved it all. I started taking college courses at night when I was a junior so I was three semesters ahead of my fellow high school students upon graduation. And I did all that while keeping an A average.

So don't tell me it can't be done. Because it obviously can be done if you would just do it and stop your whining about how it can't be done.

I don't know many kids that could do that, but know plenty that have been able to work and get scholarship to pay for college.

I don't know many kids that could do that, but know plenty that have been able to work and get scholarship to pay for college.

Anyone can do it, not many will do it.

Shouldn't we be expecting drive and ambition rather than discouraging it?

The average retirees 401k is only about 100,000. Ok skull I don't doubt you at all. You extrodinarilly motivated and thrifty. My situation on up bring is muck like yours. Except I'm lazy in comparison. I would recommend business school to my kid even if the wanted to work for themselves. Like I said I've seen plenty studies where college nets one way more vs non. sure bill gates didn't, having an exception doesn't change the rule.

I'm superior in education level, I don't think any person is better than any other. This thread is about wether or not college is worth the cost. I've seen a hundred studies saying it's worth the cost.

Niether of you geniuses caught the mis-spelled "WHETHER" and the poor wording of the sentence that omitted "OR NOT" or the fragmented sentence: "I've see a hundred studies saying it's;" or the brutal mis-conjugation of the verb "to see?"

Jaysus where the hell did you guys go to school?

I'm running out of red ink here!!!:evil:

Last edited:
Elton John called, he thinks correcting 50 year old's spelling and grammar is gay'r than fanny packs.

Samson, you are Gay and not in a HOMO way

Elton John called, he thinks correcting 50 year old's spelling and grammar is gay'r than fanny packs.

Everything counts, including spelling.

I had a physics prof that deducted points for spelling. Everyone whined about it except those of us that took our education seriously, that is.

Actually that's what my boss say's too. Here's a good laugh for you guy's at my expense. I placed out of freshman english in college.

Skull all bullshit aside, I don't doubt what people say. You are one impressive and motivated hard working individual.

According to the College Board’s Trends in Student Aid study, 10 percent of people who graduated in 2007-8 with student loans had borrowed $40,000 or more. The median debt for bachelor’s degree recipients who borrowed while attending private, nonprofit colleges was $22,380.

The Project on Student Debt, a research and advocacy organization in Oakland, Calif., used federal data to estimate that 206,000 people graduated from college (including many from for-profit universities) with more than $40,000 in student loan debt in that same period. That’s a ninefold increase over the number of people in 1996, using 2008 dollars

Difficult to generalize about whether a college degree is worth taking on debt.

Most importantly, it depends on what field of study one undertakes.

Right now, degrees in hard sciences and engineering and advanced math and medical fields are probably the best college investments.

And then too there's the whole issue of what the employment market will be looking for during your working lifetime, too.

A degree in liberal arts is risky as hell because nowadays merely having a college degree isn't necessarily going to get you into a managment track at the sort of places where having humanities training is valuable.

But I definitely DO THINK the educational debt bubble is bursting right now.

Higher education costs are one of the few things that have actually risen faster than the cost of health care in our lifetimes.

The cost doesn't justified given the current labor market.

Right now, degrees in hard sciences and engineering and advanced math and medical fields are probably the best college investments.

And then too there's the whole issue of what the employment market will be looking for during your working lifetime, too.

A degree in liberal arts is risky as hell because nowadays merely having a college degree isn't necessarily going to get you into a managment track at the sort of places where having humanities training is valuable.

I agree,,,,however, I wonder about the qualifiers: "right now" and "nowadays."

What you've said about the relative worth of different degree plans hasn't changed for the past 40 years (at least). Regardless, there are still graduates that are amazed to find that their degree in Religious and Women's studies cannot pay for their $100K student loan debt?

Are you implying that you see a reason that BA's in Renaisance French Poetry, Aztec Interiour Decorating, or Underwaterbasketweaving, might see a resurgance in demand?

Last edited:

Everything counts, including spelling.

I had a physics prof that deducted points for spelling. Everyone whined about it except those of us that took our education seriously, that is.

I wrote hateful Haiku's for my English major professors. God, but they were a pain in the ass.
Some of my most difficult teachers helped me the most though, and through all the picayune point reductions, they helped me with the discipline I needed to improve not only my expression of my thoughts, but my thinking.

Forum List

Back