Employers are fed up with college 'waste,' opt for skilled blue-collar workers instead

Ok, if working at Starbucks counts. Pretty much every Starbucks is staffed by degree holders.

In the real world employers I know are hiring motivated kids and training them in house.

Better workers, and loyal.
All Our Graduates Are Walk-Ons

If our economy is to survive, it must imitate what baseball does. Take a superior 18-year-old player and give him hundreds of thousands of dollars to put himself through the minor-leagues, which is baseball's equivalent of college education.

Imagine baseball doing it the way our indentured-servitude "education" does. The athlete would have to get a loan to pay the minor-league clubs to train him, meanwhile living in misery off part-time low-paying off-season jobs.

But the argument stands, that if I had enough interest to become a doctor, I think long before I went to medical school much less got my degree, I'd have learned the basic details about the basic systems of the body that I was about to devote my life's work to on just pride of knowledge and learning alone.

Illiterate Liberal Language Lords

That ignorance explains why jurinalists incorrectly use
"oxymoron" for what was always called " (a claim that something is) a contradiction in terms." They never heard the correct expression because the only media they ever listened to before graduating were about music or sports, never any serious discussion where that term frequently came up. An oxymoron is actually a clever pun using words that would only be contradictory in a completely different context, such as "boneless ribs."

Last two companies I worked for trained the hell out of me. Train, train, train. The one company was constantly sending us to training for all kinds of things, the other, I spent several months in intensive training in their own school before they could even let me near my job. The one because all their computer systems were totally proprietary, and the other just to keep me from getting killed on the job. And both required constant retraining in stuff already trained for, annually or as needed to make sure we were totally sharp and up to date on everything.

Guess it all depends on what kind of field you were in. Some lines of work, their retirees are some of their most cherished people, constantly called or brought back for consultation because of their accumulated years of expertise.
OJT Replaces WOKE

That could be a substitute for the only other alternative to the college plantation, which is highly paid professional training. Recruit the high school graduates with the highest test scores and educate them at the business in all the job-related college courses they would have taken under the present demoralizing and inefficient system. Retirees could teach them.

It's a real shame that our board of education here in Los Angeles proudly seeks to get every high school graduate to apply for college.

Many students would be happier and more productive if they were enrolled in "trade school" and come away with a marketable skill.
Generic Is the Enemy of Genius

That's as insulting to mental talent as it would be to athletic talent if a college used its entire athletic fund on making every student participate in intramurals,

Another example of jealous humiliation of talent is a statement like "America needs 30,000 more programmers" instead of changing the educational system to motivate the 30,000 with the most natural talent to become programmers.

A seed doesn't grow in a sandbox. Unpaid education is childish, for young adults who are afraid to grow up.

In an Economy With a Future, There Would Be 99 More Bill Gateses

Gates is the son of a multimillionaire. There would have been no downside if Microsoft had failed and he had to finish college. Those born in the 1% are represented in the 1% twenty times what any rational representation would give them.

Typical college-level stupidity: "But a large majority weren't born there! GOTCHA!" Diploma Dumbos are trained to seek any excuse that justifies what they're told to believe, such as "The exception disproves the rule." Their professors know perfectly well that perfectionism leads to paralysis.
There are many successful people without degrees, drive and desire fuel success

There are many successful people without degrees, drive and desire fuel success
Thrown Under the High Rollers

High IQs are fools if they waste their brains on school subjects. But there's a myth that they can't be practical and need wheeler-dealers to give their ideas value, so they have to moo their way into the college corral and become Cash Cows for Corporate Cowboys.

Forum List

Back