The Pandemic's Academic Impacts Remain (NYT)

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

Sorry if this is beating a dead horse, but most of the damage to public K-12 education from and related to the Pandemic was the result of irrational, selfish, and political demands by teachers' unions, who sought to exploit public fears to feather their own figurative nests. And the beat goes on...​

Empty classrooms​

Author HeadshotBy Sarah Mervosh
An education reporter
A few years ago, a troubling phenomenon began to spread in U.S. education: Students were not showing up to school.

This was not particularly surprising. Schools had shut down in the spring of 2020, at the start of the pandemic, and some did not fully reopen until fall 2021. Quarantines for Covid symptoms and exposures were still common. It would take time, many thought, to re-establish daily routines.

What is surprising is how little the numbers have budged since, an issue my colleague Francesca Paris and I explore in depth in a new article published today.

Before the pandemic, about 15 percent of U.S. students were chronically absent, which typically means missing 18 days of the school year, for any reason. By the 2021-22 school year, that number had skyrocketed to 28 percent of students. Last school year, the most recent for which national estimates are available, it held stubbornly at 26 percent.

In interviews, many educators say the problem is continuing this school year.

Perhaps most strikingly, absenteeism has increased across demographic groups, according to research by Nat Malkus, a senior fellow at the American Enterprise Institute. Students are missing more school in districts rich and poor, big and small.

A chart shows the increase in chronic school absenteeism for all students and different school types from 2019 to 2023. The average absenteeism rate for all students in 2019 was 15 percent; in 2023 it was 26 percent.
Source: Upshot analysis of data from Nat Malkus, AEI | By The New York Times​
Even the length of school closures during the pandemic was not a particularly useful predictor of absenteeism. On average, districts that were closed longest have experienced similar increases as those that opened sooner.

What is going on here?

I spoke with school leaders, counselors, researchers and parents. They offered many reasons for the absences: illness, mental health, transportation problems. But underlying it all is a fundamental shift in the value that families place on school, and in the culture of education during the pandemic.

“Our relationship with school became optional,” said Katie Rosanbalm, a psychologist and associate research professor at Duke University.

A cultural shift​

To some degree, this is a problem facing society at large since the pandemic. Anyone who works in an office with a flexible remote-work policy will be familiar with the feeling: You diligently show up, but your co-workers aren’t there. What’s the point?

Three elementary-school students are seated around a circular yellow lunch table in a dining hall.
In Victoria, Texas. Kaylee Greenlee for The New York Times​
Something similar may be going on in schools.

Though school buildings are open, classes are in person and sports and other extracurricular activities are back in full, the stability of school seems to have shifted.

For one thing, teachers are also missing more school, often because of professional burnout or child care challenges — or because, since the pandemic, more people are actually staying home when they’re sick.

Some schools have kept their pandemic policies around online class work, giving the illusion that in-person attendance is not necessary.

And widespread absenteeism means less stability about which friends and classmates will be there. This can beget more absenteeism. For example, research has found that when 10 percent of a student’s classmates are absent on a given day, that student is nearly 20 percent more likely to be absent the following day. “We are seeing disengagement spreading,” said Michael A. Gottfried, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania who has studied this issue.

Sign of other problems​

This cultural shift is not simply a hit to perfect attendance records.

The share of students missing many days of school helps explain why U.S. students, overall, are nowhere close to making up their learning losses from the pandemic. Students who are behind academically may resist going to school, but missing school also sets them further back. These effects are especially pernicious for low-income students, who lost more ground during the pandemic and who are more negatively affected by chronic absence.

A large atrium-like hallway, with students and teachers milling about.
A high school in Anchorage. Ash Adams for The New York Times​
Absenteeism is also closely linked to other challenges schools have faced since the pandemic, including a rise in student anxiety and behavioral problems.

“The pandemic increased stress in every way in our lives, but it really embedded ourselves in our stress response system — fight, flight or freeze,” Dr. Rosanbalm, the Duke psychologist, said.

An increase in behavioral problems in schools is an example of the “fight” response, she said. On the other hand, she added, “flight is absenteeism.”

I was once a high school student----I missed so many days that the
Guidance counselors THREATENED ME that I would not graduate or
be accepted to college ----uhm---no effect----staying home was
better than sitting in BORING CLASSES

Fully recovering from all the pandemic bullshit is and will continue to take some time, but things are getting incrementally better.

Sorry if this is beating a dead horse, but most of the damage to public K-12 education from and related to the Pandemic was the result of irrational, selfish, and political demands by teachers' unions, who sought to exploit public fears to feather their own figurative nests. And the beat goes on...​

Empty classrooms​

Author HeadshotBy Sarah Mervosh
An education reporter
A few years ago, a troubling phenomenon began to spread in U.S. education: Students were not showing up to school.

This was not particularly surprising. Schools had shut down in the spring of 2020, at the start of the pandemic, and some did not fully reopen until fall 2021. Quarantines for Covid symptoms and exposures were still common. It would take time, many thought, to re-establish daily routines.

What is surprising is how little the numbers have budged since, an issue my colleague Francesca Paris and I explore in depth in a new article published today.

Before the pandemic, about 15 percent of U.S. students were chronically absent, which typically means missing 18 days of the school year, for any reason. By the 2021-22 school year, that number had skyrocketed to 28 percent of students. Last school year, the most recent for which national estimates are available, it held stubbornly at 26 percent.

In interviews, many educators say the problem is continuing this school year.

Perhaps most strikingly, absenteeism has increased across demographic groups, according to research by Nat Malkus, a senior fellow at the American Enterprise Institute. Students are missing more school in districts rich and poor, big and small.

A chart shows the increase in chronic school absenteeism for all students and different school types from 2019 to 2023. The average absenteeism rate for all students in 2019 was 15 percent; in 2023 it was 26 percent.
Source: Upshot analysis of data from Nat Malkus, AEI | By The New York Times​
Even the length of school closures during the pandemic was not a particularly useful predictor of absenteeism. On average, districts that were closed longest have experienced similar increases as those that opened sooner.

What is going on here?

I spoke with school leaders, counselors, researchers and parents. They offered many reasons for the absences: illness, mental health, transportation problems. But underlying it all is a fundamental shift in the value that families place on school, and in the culture of education during the pandemic.

“Our relationship with school became optional,” said Katie Rosanbalm, a psychologist and associate research professor at Duke University.

A cultural shift​

To some degree, this is a problem facing society at large since the pandemic. Anyone who works in an office with a flexible remote-work policy will be familiar with the feeling: You diligently show up, but your co-workers aren’t there. What’s the point?

Three elementary-school students are seated around a circular yellow lunch table in a dining hall.
In Victoria, Texas. Kaylee Greenlee for The New York Times​
Something similar may be going on in schools.

Though school buildings are open, classes are in person and sports and other extracurricular activities are back in full, the stability of school seems to have shifted.

For one thing, teachers are also missing more school, often because of professional burnout or child care challenges — or because, since the pandemic, more people are actually staying home when they’re sick.

Some schools have kept their pandemic policies around online class work, giving the illusion that in-person attendance is not necessary.

And widespread absenteeism means less stability about which friends and classmates will be there. This can beget more absenteeism. For example, research has found that when 10 percent of a student’s classmates are absent on a given day, that student is nearly 20 percent more likely to be absent the following day. “We are seeing disengagement spreading,” said Michael A. Gottfried, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania who has studied this issue.

Sign of other problems​

This cultural shift is not simply a hit to perfect attendance records.

The share of students missing many days of school helps explain why U.S. students, overall, are nowhere close to making up their learning losses from the pandemic. Students who are behind academically may resist going to school, but missing school also sets them further back. These effects are especially pernicious for low-income students, who lost more ground during the pandemic and who are more negatively affected by chronic absence.

A large atrium-like hallway, with students and teachers milling about.
A high school in Anchorage. Ash Adams for The New York Times​
Absenteeism is also closely linked to other challenges schools have faced since the pandemic, including a rise in student anxiety and behavioral problems.

“The pandemic increased stress in every way in our lives, but it really embedded ourselves in our stress response system — fight, flight or freeze,” Dr. Rosanbalm, the Duke psychologist, said.

An increase in behavioral problems in schools is an example of the “fight” response, she said. On the other hand, she added, “flight is absenteeism.”

I do not use the word "hate" lightly. I hated the Moral Panic instilled by the Powers That Be surrounding covid, and will hate it to the day I die. I hated it from the outside---"experts"--and I hated it from the inside: my own teaching "colleagues".

It revealed more to me than I ever wanted to learn about too many in my profession and some I work with directly. They're cowards, some, and some don't care about kids at all. And I mean, at all.

That's first. To the article: we taught families that school is optional and the slightest sniffle, or worse, EXPOSURE to the slightest sniffle, should keep them home. We taught them this. So what do we now expect?

DGS49
What is surprising is how little the numbers have budged since,

But how else do you expect people to behave ?

Under stress people will be even more stupid and gullible and feel happy/ comfortable in compliance .

And that is obviously known and used to advantage.

Forum List

Back