Is Cruz Cheating? He is Under Fire for Sending Iowans Controversial Letter

"Fraud" is a crime. "False" is not.

Nothing the Iowa SoS has said contradicts anything I've posted.

Damn that is retarded and a lie.

Making false statements and using the US postal service to do it is a CRIME. Ted the Canuk Cruz broke the law. His mailer was deliberately deceptive.

If that were true every CEO of a company that uses direct mailings would be in jail.

Direct mail is not illegal and you know that liar but fraudulent direct mail is a crime and people do go to jail for it. Cruz broke the law and we all know it. Cruz did a sleazy and illegal thing.

Virtually every piece of direct mail is misleading in one form or another. I particularly like the ones that claim they can save me 700 a year on car insurance, when they have no idea what I'm paying now. But feel free to talk shit, it is after all a free country.

I was thinking about this for a bit and well....google using your typed in information to throw ad's at you.
I am sure that there are records that we would be surprised knowing it is out there.

I guess the Ted thing got too personal including the neighbors to embarrass people in front of others if they don't get out to vote..

Once again, that's a matter of perspective, many weren't bothered by it at all.

I have a older cousin that only reads the newspaper..no tv ..computer.. She freaks out if I were to ever mention her name on the computer...Susan..:lol: I am a smart ass.

Some in the older crowd don't like that privacy invaded, yet the kids today have way too much information out there about themselves.

I have a older cousin that only reads the newspaper..no tv ..computer.. She freaks out if I were to ever mention her name on the computer...Susan..:lol: I am a smart ass.

Some in the older crowd don't like that privacy invaded, yet the kids today have way too much information out there about themselves.

Thanks for reinforcing my point.

Thanks for reinforcing my point.

Its the older crowd voting for Cruz not the younger who are voting for Bernie..

So no it didn't reinforce anything,,,old people are much more private.

"Fraud" is a crime. "False" is not.

Nothing the Iowa SoS has said contradicts anything I've posted.

Making false statements and using the US postal service to do it is a CRIME. Ted the Canuk Cruz broke the law. His mailer was deliberately deceptive.

If that were true every CEO of a company that uses direct mailings would be in jail.

Now that's a bit of an exaggeration. Cruz wasn't soliciting money, so he didn't break USPS rules.
He IS trying to turn neighbor against neighbor and create paranoia....so much for "uniting" the country.

You think he's trying to "turn neighbor against neighbor" and "create paranoia"?

To begin with, I don't see how you got that from the mailer - but if you're right, what purpose could that possibly serve?

Huh? I think you'd better actually look at it. Private shaming may work in advertising, but not public.

The person at the top is the recipient. The people listed below are that person's neighbors. By the way, no one received a score higher than a C. Most received a D or an F. Where did Cruz invent this "score"? It's all fabrication.

If this showed up in my mailbox with all of my neighbors listed, I would make sure I voted for Trump. And I don't like Trump, either.

Lizza-Iowa-Cruz-mailer.jpg

I'm not disagreeing with anything that you've said - but none of that qualifies as "turning neighbor against neighbor", or "creating paranoia".

How do fictitious "scores" turn neighbors against each other? What is there to be paranoid about?

Direct mail is not illegal and you know that liar but fraudulent direct mail is a crime and people do go to jail for it. Cruz broke the law and we all know it. Cruz did a sleazy and illegal thing.

Virtually every piece of direct mail is misleading in one form or another. I particularly like the ones that claim they can save me 700 a year on car insurance, when they have no idea what I'm paying now. But feel free to talk shit, it is after all a free country.

I was thinking about this for a bit and well....google using your typed in information to throw ad's at you.
I am sure that there are records that we would be surprised knowing it is out there.

I guess the Ted thing got too personal including the neighbors to embarrass people in front of others if they don't get out to vote..

It's not a matter of perspective. It is a matter of law and ethics and what Ted "Oh Canada" Cruz did is probably unlawful and definitely unethical but we all know Ted Cruz is a slime.

It's not a matter of perspective. It is a matter of law and ethics and what Ted "Oh Canada" Cruz did is probably unlawful and definitely unethical but we all know Ted Cruz is a slime.

Again - it's not a matter of "law", because no laws were broken - and what you believe it to be "unethical" is by definition your perspective.

Now that's a bit of an exaggeration. Cruz wasn't soliciting money, so he didn't break USPS rules.
He IS trying to turn neighbor against neighbor and create paranoia....so much for "uniting" the country.

You think he's trying to "turn neighbor against neighbor" and "create paranoia"?

To begin with, I don't see how you got that from the mailer - but if you're right, what purpose could that possibly serve?

Huh? I think you'd better actually look at it. Private shaming may work in advertising, but not public.

The person at the top is the recipient. The people listed below are that person's neighbors. By the way, no one received a score higher than a C. Most received a D or an F. Where did Cruz invent this "score"? It's all fabrication.

If this showed up in my mailbox with all of my neighbors listed, I would make sure I voted for Trump. And I don't like Trump, either.

I'm not disagreeing with anything that you've said - but none of that qualifies as "turning neighbor against neighbor", or "creating paranoia".

How do fictitious "scores" turn neighbors against each other? What is there to be paranoid about?

I think that when they first open it they think that maybe they are being accused of doing something unlawful. Also, not voting sends a message.

Again - it's not a matter of "law", because no laws were broken - and what you believe it to be "unethical" is by definition your perspective.

Laws were broken. Deceptive advertising is a criminal offense and using the mail to deliver deceptive advertising is also unlawful.

As to Ted being unethical his litany of lies prove that as does this sleazy mailing the even Republicans have condemned.

Laws were broken. Deceptive advertising is a criminal offense and using the mail to deliver deceptive advertising is also unlawful.

As to Ted being unethical his litany of lies prove that as does this sleazy mailing the even Republicans have condemned.

Repeating yourself over and over again doesn't magically make you less wrong. There is absolutely nothing illegal about what Cruz's campaign did.

I think that when they first open it they think that maybe they are being accused of doing something unlawful. Also, not voting sends a message.

You didn't answer my questions.

Stop lying. You lost and now you are claiming you asked me questions that I have failed to answer.

Bottom line is this: Cruz sent out a deceptive mailing in order to confuse, shame and intimidate voters. That is sleazy and most likely unlawful.

Stop lying. You lost and now you are claiming you asked me questions that I have failed to answer.

Bottom line is this: Cruz sent out a deceptive mailing in order to confuse, shame and intimidate voters. That is sleazy and most likely unlawful.

:lol::lol::lol:

What is it that you think I've "lost", clown?

You didn't answer the questions that I asked in the post you responded to. I'll make it bigger for you.

And again - it's still not unlawful.

Repeating yourself over and over again doesn't magically make you less wrong. There is absolutely nothing illegal about what Cruz's campaign did.

Cruz used the US mail to send deceptive advertising.
Truth In Advertising | Federal Trade Commission

18 U.S.C. § 1341 provides:

Whoever, having devised or intending to devise any scheme or artifice to defraud, or for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises, or to sell, dispose of, loan, exchange, alter, give away, distribute, supply, or furnish or procure for unlawful use any counterfeit or spurious coin, obligation, security, or other article, or anything represented to be or intimated or held out to be such counterfeit or spurious article, for the purpose of executing such scheme or artifice or attempting so to do, places in any post office or authorized depository for mail matter, any matter or thing whatever to be sent or delivered by the Postal Service, or deposits or causes to be deposited any matter or thing whatever to be sent or delivered by any private or commercial interstate carrier, or takes or receives therefrom, any such matter or thing, or knowingly causes to be delivered by mail or such carrier according to the direction thereon, or at the place at which it is directed to be delivered by the person to whom it is addressed, any such matter or thing, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both. If the violation occurs in relation to, or involving any benefit authorized, transported, transmitted, transferred, disbursed, or paid in connection with, a Presidential declared major disaster or emergency (as those terms are defined in section 102 of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 5122)), or affects a financial institution, such person shall be fined not more than $1,000,000 or imprisoned not more than 30 years, or both.[1]

image.jpg

Ted Cruz's campaign is under fire for a mailer it sent out in Iowa that is designed to look like an official government document.

The mailers tell the recipients they have a "voting violation" for failing to caucus in previous elections, and grades them on an A to F basis, Politico reports. The paper has the words "official public record at the top," and also includes actual names of the recipients neighbors.

Republican Secretary of State Paul Pate slammed the campaign, saying the mailer "misrepresents the role of my office, and worse, misrepresents Iowa election law.”

Cruz Campaign Under Fire for Sending Iowans Controversial Letter

3519464264_5242fa4d79.jpg

From your link:
My bold.

Cruz spokeswoman Catherine Frazier said the notice is “a standard mailer that folks at the Iowa Republican Party and other get-out-the-vote groups have used to help motivate low-propensity voters,” according to Politico.

So according to your link this is not the first time this form has been used, but suddenly everyone is all pissed off about it, well not everyone. Also according you your link, the guy raising a stink is a Rubio supporter.

It is akin to people being concerned that Ted was born in Canada. No one ever was concerned that McCain was born in Panama.

Cruz used the US mail to send deceptive advertising.
Truth In Advertising | Federal Trade Commission

Whoever, having devised or intending to devise any scheme or artifice to defraud, or for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises, or to sell, dispose of, loan, exchange, alter, give away, distribute, supply, or furnish or procure for unlawful use any counterfeit or spurious coin, obligation, security, or other article, or anything represented to be or intimated or held out to be such counterfeit or spurious article, for the purpose of executing such scheme or artifice or attempting so to do, places in any post office or authorized depository for mail matter, any matter or thing whatever to be sent or delivered by the Postal Service, or deposits or causes to be deposited any matter or thing whatever to be sent or delivered by any private or commercial interstate carrier, or takes or receives therefrom, any such matter or thing, or knowingly causes to be delivered by mail or such carrier according to the direction thereon, or at the place at which it is directed to be delivered by the person to whom it is addressed, any such matter or thing, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both. If the violation occurs in relation to, or involving any benefit authorized, transported, transmitted, transferred, disbursed, or paid in connection with, a Presidential declared major disaster or emergency (as those terms are defined in section 102 of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 5122)), or affects a financial institution, such person shall be fined not more than $1,000,000 or imprisoned not more than 30 years, or both.[1]

You may think that highlighting out of context phrases in the US Code is proving your point - but I think you might have missed the phrases surrounding the ones you think help your arguments.

What "scheme to defraud" does this letter entail? Did Ted Cruz attempt to obtain money or property with these letters?

You didn't answer the questions that I asked in the post you responded to. I'll make it bigger for you.

FRAUD IS UNLAWFUL! What about that don't you understand? Fraud and using the mail to defraud people is a CRIME! Cruz broke the law. Your word for it was fictitious when in fact that fiction was allowed to deceive Iowa voters. That is a federal and state crime.

FRAUD IS UNLAWFUL! What about that don't you understand? Fraud and using the mail to defraud people is a CRIME! Cruz broke the law. Your word for it was fictitious when in fact that fiction was allowed to deceive Iowa voters. That is a federal and state crime.

:lol:

Yes, "FRAUD" is unlawful. But the crime of "FRAUD" requires financial damages.

While the exact wording of fraud charges varies among state and federal laws. the essential elements needed to prove a fraud claim in general include: (1) a misrepresentation of a material fact; (2) by a person or entity who knows or believes it to be false; (3) to a person or entity who justifiably relies on the misrepresentation; and (4) actual injury or loss resulting from his or her reliance.

Fraud - FindLaw

Forum List

Back