Is Cruz Cheating? He is Under Fire for Sending Iowans Controversial Letter

So the Iowa Secty of State is lying?

How did he know everybody's voting score? Like there is one.

You answered that question yourself, with your link. You just neglected to highlight the following sentence:

It was slimy. Not to mention desperate. And fraudulent:

"""In Iowa, although voter-registration information is free and available to the public, voter history is not. That information is maintained by the secretary of state, who licenses it to campaigns, super PACs, polling firms, and any other entity that might want it. So was the Cruz campaign accurately portraying the voter histories of Iowans? Or did it simply make up the numbers?"""
Ted Cruz’s Iowa Mailers Are More Fraudulent Than Everyone Thinks - The New Yorker

Voting history is available to every campaign, in every state.

This is what I do for a living, by the way.

So the Iowa Secty of State is lying? Interesting. What is the difference between "false" and "fraud"?

"Accusing citizens of Iowa of a "voting violation" based on Iowa Caucus participation, or lack thereof, is false representation of an official act," Pate said in his statement. "There is no such thing as an election violation related to frequency of voting. Any insinuation or statement to the contrary is wrong and I believe it is not in keeping in the spirit of the Iowa Caucuses."

"Fraud" is a crime. "False" is not.

Nothing the Iowa SoS has said contradicts anything I've posted.

So making false statements is not a crime? Really. So now you're a lawyer, too.

1. U.S. CodeTitle 18Part IChapter 47 › § 1001
18 U.S. Code § 1001 -
(a)Except as otherwise provided in this section, whoever, in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the Government of the United States, knowingly and willfully—
(1)
falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact;
(2)
makes any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation; or
(3)
makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to contain any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry;
shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years or, if the offense involves international or domestic terrorism (as defined in section 2331), imprisoned not more than 8 years, or both. If the matter relates to an offense under chapter 109A, 109B, 110, or 117, or section 1591, then the term of imprisonment imposed under this section shall be not more than 8 years.

I'm not a lawyer, I'm an election consultant who specializes in GOTV. But I would suggest that you re-read that US Code again, and focus on the header. Ted Cruz's campaign is not part of the US government.
I'm not a lawyer, I'm an election consultant who specializes in GOTV. But I would suggest that you re-read that US Code again, and focus on the header. Ted Cruz's campaign is not part of the US government.

"Ted Cruz's campaign is not part of the US government."

What his campaign part of the Canadian government...?:lol: Just messing with you...

Too bad the jerk hasn't taken any federal funds. His attempting to invade the privacy of individuals with lies and fear-mongering is sooooo Karl Rove.

Contributions
app_green.png
Individual$46,543,740
app_red.png

PAC$56,452
app_navyblue.png

Party$0
app_babyblue.png

Candidate$0
Federal Funds$0
Transfers-In$250,013
Disbursements$28,118,720
Cash On Hand$18,734,794

Presidential Campaign Finance

And I said it was a requirement, where? Also to commit fraud you have to be getting something of value under false pretenses, there was no fraudulent intent in this case.

You answered that question yourself, with your link. You just neglected to highlight the following sentence:

Define "cheating".

He didn't break any laws.

"""In Iowa, although voter-registration information is free and available to the public, voter history is not. That information is maintained by the secretary of state, who licenses it to campaigns, super PACs, polling firms, and any other entity that might want it. So was the Cruz campaign accurately portraying the voter histories of Iowans? Or did it simply make up the numbers?"""
Ted Cruz’s Iowa Mailers Are More Fraudulent Than Everyone Thinks - The New Yorker

So the Iowa Secty of State is lying? Interesting. What is the difference between "false" and "fraud"?

"Accusing citizens of Iowa of a "voting violation" based on Iowa Caucus participation, or lack thereof, is false representation of an official act," Pate said in his statement. "There is no such thing as an election violation related to frequency of voting. Any insinuation or statement to the contrary is wrong and I believe it is not in keeping in the spirit of the Iowa Caucuses."

Damn that is retarded and a lie.

Making false statements and using the US postal service to do it is a CRIME. Ted the Canuk Cruz broke the law. His mailer was deliberately deceptive.

:lol:

No, lying is not against the law, even if you do it by mail.

18 U.S. Code § 1001 -
(a)Except as otherwise provided in this section, whoever, in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the Government of the United States, knowingly and willfully—
(1)
falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact;
(2)
makes any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation; or
(3)
makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to contain any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry;
shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years or, if the offense involves international or domestic terrorism (as defined in section 2331), imprisoned not more than 8 years, or both. If the matter relates to an offense under chapter 109A, 109B, 110, or 117, or section 1591, then the term of imprisonment imposed under this section shall be not more than 8 years.

What his campaign part of the Canadian government...?:lol: Just messing with you...

Too bad the jerk hasn't taken any federal funds. His attempting to invade the privacy of individuals with lies and fear-mongering is sooooo Karl Rove.

Contributions
app_green.png
Individual$46,543,740
app_red.png

PAC$56,452
app_navyblue.png

Party$0
app_babyblue.png

Candidate$0
Federal Funds$0
Transfers-In$250,013
Disbursements$28,118,720
Cash On Hand$18,734,794

Even if he had, taking federal funds doesn't make his campaign part of the government.

I think what Cruz did was a lapse in judgment. But it isn't the end of his campaign. Of course, I didn't get one of those notices where my neighbors know of my voting habits... He should apologize and let it go.

And I said it was a requirement, where? Also to commit fraud you have to be getting something of value under false pretenses, there was no fraudulent intent in this case.

Define "cheating".

He didn't break any laws.

Making false statements and using the US postal service to do it is a CRIME. Ted the Canuk Cruz broke the law. His mailer was deliberately deceptive.

If that were true every CEO of a company that uses direct mailings would be in jail.

18 U.S. Code § 1001 -
(1)
(2)
(3)

Contributions
app_green.png
Individual$46,543,740
app_red.png

PAC$56,452
app_navyblue.png

Party$0
app_babyblue.png

Candidate$0
Federal Funds$0
Transfers-In$250,013
Disbursements$28,118,720
Cash On Hand$18,734,794

Federal funds aren't available for primaries.

If that were true every CEO of a company that uses direct mailings would be in jail.

Now that's a bit of an exaggeration. Cruz wasn't soliciting money, so he didn't break USPS rules.
He IS trying to turn neighbor against neighbor and create paranoia....so much for "uniting" the country.

18 U.S. Code § 1001 -
(1)
(2)
(3)

Contributions
app_green.png
Individual$46,543,740
app_red.png

PAC$56,452
app_navyblue.png

Party$0
app_babyblue.png

Candidate$0
Federal Funds$0
Transfers-In$250,013
Disbursements$28,118,720
Cash On Hand$18,734,794

Federal funds aren't available for primaries.

True enough, that's a small bit of relief.

Direct mail is not illegal and you know that liar but fraudulent direct mail is a crime and people do go to jail for it. Cruz broke the law and we all know it. Cruz did a sleazy and illegal thing.

Now that's a bit of an exaggeration. Cruz wasn't soliciting money, so he didn't break USPS rules.
He IS trying to turn neighbor against neighbor and create paranoia....so much for "uniting" the country.

He was indirectly soliciting money because if he wins in Iowa he gets more money from his corporate masters.

image.jpg

Ted Cruz's campaign is under fire for a mailer it sent out in Iowa that is designed to look like an official government document.

The mailers tell the recipients they have a "voting violation" for failing to caucus in previous elections, and grades them on an A to F basis, Politico reports. The paper has the words "official public record at the top," and also includes actual names of the recipients neighbors.

Republican Secretary of State Paul Pate slammed the campaign, saying the mailer "misrepresents the role of my office, and worse, misrepresents Iowa election law.”

Cruz Campaign Under Fire for Sending Iowans Controversial Letter

3519464264_5242fa4d79.jpg
Not gonna lie.

That bullshit is a HUGE turnoff.

You think he's trying to "turn neighbor against neighbor" and "create paranoia"?

To begin with, I don't see how you got that from the mailer - but if you're right, what purpose could that possibly serve?

Or he was making people aware of how few people vote, to encourage them to do so. Pretty much every campaign does it in one form or another. Personally I'd get more upset at someone knocking on my door or calling me. I got a call just the other day asking who I was supporting for a judge, they didn't even offer an option for undecided, so I gave them no answer.

Direct mail is not illegal and you know that liar but fraudulent direct mail is a crime and people do go to jail for it. Cruz broke the law and we all know it. Cruz did a sleazy and illegal thing.

:lol:

While your appeal to consensus is entertaining, you don't speak for "we", you speak only for yourself - and while you may believe that you "know" Cruz broke the law, your belief has no effect on the actual laws.

Nothing about the mailer was illegal.

Virtually every piece of direct mail is misleading in one form or another. I particularly like the ones that claim they can save me 700 a year on car insurance, when they have no idea what I'm paying now. But feel free to talk shit, it is after all a free country.

image.jpg

Ted Cruz's campaign is under fire for a mailer it sent out in Iowa that is designed to look like an official government document.

The mailers tell the recipients they have a "voting violation" for failing to caucus in previous elections, and grades them on an A to F basis, Politico reports. The paper has the words "official public record at the top," and also includes actual names of the recipients neighbors.

Republican Secretary of State Paul Pate slammed the campaign, saying the mailer "misrepresents the role of my office, and worse, misrepresents Iowa election law.”

Cruz Campaign Under Fire for Sending Iowans Controversial Letter

3519464264_5242fa4d79.jpg
Not gonna lie.

That bullshit is a HUGE turnoff.

These poor people, I would probably go off the grid just for that reason...

You think he's trying to "turn neighbor against neighbor" and "create paranoia"?

To begin with, I don't see how you got that from the mailer - but if you're right, what purpose could that possibly serve?

This is what the Tea Cruz campaign sent along with the guilt trip letter..and if they don't vote for him.

images

Virtually every piece of direct mail is misleading in one form or another. I particularly like the ones that claim they can save me 700 a year on car insurance, when they have no idea what I'm paying now. But feel free to talk shit, it is after all a free country.

I was thinking about this for a bit and well....google using your typed in information to throw ad's at you.
I am sure that there are records that we would be surprised knowing it is out there.

I guess the Ted thing got too personal including the neighbors to embarrass people in front of others if they don't get out to vote..

Huh? I think you'd better actually look at it. Private shaming may work in advertising, but not public.

The person at the top is the recipient. The people listed below are that person's neighbors. By the way, no one received a score higher than a C. Most received a D or an F. Where did Cruz invent this "score"? It's all fabrication.

If this showed up in my mailbox with all of my neighbors listed, I would make sure I voted for Trump. And I don't like Trump, either.

Lizza-Iowa-Cruz-mailer.jpg

I was thinking about this for a bit and well....google using your typed in information to throw ad's at you.
I am sure that there are records that we would be surprised knowing it is out there.

I guess the Ted thing got too personal including the neighbors to embarrass people in front of others if they don't get out to vote..

Many people may not have noticed the "Paid for by Cruz Campaign" line. They see the "Recipient Copy Official Public Record" and their name and an "F" and a made-up score. What a piece of trash Cruz is.

Forum List

Back