If you're against polygamy, are you a bigot?

I oppose the states telling people who they can, and cannot, have sex with. Why does that not make sense?
I don't like you.

But frankly there was nothing wrong with your first post that he said it didn't make sense. If I may, feel free to correct me.

State/Federal government should be able to sanction unions. That is two people entering some sort of social contract that receives legal benefits.

Marriage is a sanctioned union. But marriage is also a religious construct that is wrongly supported by a government that has freedom of religion. Therefor I oppose, and I assume you do as well, any government sanctioning marriage. Unions between people yes... Marriages no.

Not quite.

I don't think government should use taxes to influence social policy. I see some advantages to the government setting up laws to protect the interests of children, but most marriage laws are historically built on the idea that women cannot provide for themselves without a man. The laws are a little more balanced now, but there really should be no financial support for either partner unless their are children involved.

As far as religion, I am a but of a heretic, I don't think the church should have any say in who gets married either. If a couple wants to say they are married, they are, and the church has no more business endorsing that than the state does. The only thing people need permission from the church for is to have a church wedding, which is more about social protocol than religion.
Fair enough... I disagree with both of you then. I'm good with that. But I still think that your post I quoted made sense. Even if I disagree with your reasoning behind it.

I think religion has much more to do with it than you give it credit for. Then again I live in the bible belt, so... *shrugs*

Polygamy... well, no one is really advocating to change those laws. Not seriously.

It is legal in the Netherlands, yet no one is seriously advocating it. How does that work in your world? What about the fact that Islamic countries allow it? Does your brain engage at all before you post?

Wow, Gasbag, leave it to you to fill a thread with non-sequiter arguments...

I'm not even sure why anyone wastes time on you.

We weren't talking about the Netherlands, we were talking about the US.

There's no movement for polygamy here, being stopped by anti-Polygamist bigots. In fact, ironically, the only place they even bother enforcing anti-Polygamy laws is Utah, where the Mormons don't like reminders that they used to do that shit.

On the other hand, the squealing homophobic mob is clutching to marriage as the last bit of the world where they can lord it over gay people... and losing..

Polygamy... well, no one is really advocating to change those laws. Not seriously.

It is legal in the Netherlands, yet no one is seriously advocating it. How does that work in your world? What about the fact that Islamic countries allow it? Does your brain engage at all before you post?

Wow, Gasbag, leave it to you to fill a thread with non-sequiter arguments...

I'm not even sure why anyone wastes time on you.

We weren't talking about the Netherlands, we were talking about the US.

There's no movement for polygamy here, being stopped by anti-Polygamist bigots. In fact, ironically, the only place they even bother enforcing anti-Polygamy laws is Utah, where the Mormons don't like reminders that they used to do that shit.

On the other hand, the squealing homophobic mob is clutching to marriage as the last bit of the world where they can lord it over gay people... and losing..

No we are not we are talking about polygamy. That issue is not restricted to one country, despite your belief that the world revolves around you.

The "main" church of later day saints has long ago abandoned polygamy so no - Mitt would not support it. However there is still quite a large group of Fundamental LDSers that believe Polygamy is the the holiest of commandments Joseph received from "The Book of Mormons" and God.

Read the book "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakhaur. Gives you some real insight to the Mormons.

Before reading the book - I agreed that govt should stay out of our marriage business. One more incident of theory being way better than pathetic human behaviour.

Many girls, and I mean girls, are brainwashed from a very early age by the Fundamental LDS and it is very questionable these girls are willing participants when it is time to give them to a man.

i often see the argument or statement that those who oppose gay marriage are bigots etc...

so, if you oppose polygamy, does that make you a bigot?

No. That is a slippery slope fallacy often used by bigots who hate homosexuals, as are their pathological attempts to equate homosexuality with pedophilia.

You cannot justify the legalization of a harmful activity by pointing to the legalization of one that is not. Homosexual marriage is not harmful, and therefore could not be used as justification for legalizing something that is.

[No, laws prohibiting polygamy have a rational basis, are applied to everyone equally, and are absent animus.

Laws prohibiting same-sex marriage, however, lack a rational basis, seek to exclude a specific class of persons from marriage law, and are motivated by animus alone on the part of the state.

This.

Polygamous societies are exclusively one man married to multiple women. Such societies are predominantly exploitive of women as a result. And the math inevitably leads to the availability of adult women becoming more and more scarce, with predation of female children into forced marriages frequently the outcome.

Last edited:
I oppose all marriage, especially government sanctioned marriage.

That's cute.

But let's take a journey to the real world, where we know that legal, 'government sanctioned' marriage is here and not going anywhere soon.

In the real world, do you oppose same sex marriage, or do you support same sex marriage as long as opposite sex marriage is going to be legal?

in order for me to know that I would have to know that it is completely hopeless to reform the government. I don't know that.

Do you acknowledge that a person who supports 'government sanctioned' opposite sex marriage but not same sex marriage is a bigot, since there is no rational argument against same sex marriage being treated differently than opposite sex marriage?

Interestingly, most of the arguments used to support man/women monogamy can be used to support polygamy, for example:

1. the Tradition argument. Polygamy has as much tradition behind it, in the history of mankind, as does monogamy.

2. the promoting of the family, and procreation argument. Self explanatory.

Don't forget that president Hussein's father was a bigamist alcoholic communist and democrats laughed it off.

And none of the males in the Romney clan..served in the United States Military.

In fact..given a choice..they fled the US. And when their adopted country Mexico, needed help, they fled.

Brave Sir Robin Romneys..

I always forget which branch of the military Obama served in. Anyone?

As far as polygamy, as long as it is what people want, then who cares? I just don't approve of anything that forces people to do something.

Last edited:
I'm not opposed to polygamy as long as all parties involved are consenting adults. Next Strawman.

So the Fact that those Consenting Adults can then have children and raise them into their Polygamist Life style is just fine with you right?

Please.

This is why there is so Much Opposition to Changing the Definition of Marriage, because opponents realize that it wont stop at Gay marriage, Next will be Legal Polygamy, then what?

Sorry, I draw the line at marriage being between any more than 2 consenting adults thank you.

Here's the deal, folks...if there were to be a huge push from polygamists for legal recognition of plural marriage (I'm not aware of any at the moment), those opposed must provide a societal harm in allowing them. Same goes for gay marriage.

Start listing your "societal harms" now...

Most of HIV and Aids is within the homosexual community. It is a sick and disgusting behavior that harms our society.

Globally, most of HIV and AIDS is within the straight community.

Not only that, before there was a cure for syphilis and gonorrhea, millions upon millions of heterosexuals died from those diseases. Ask your grandparents. It was in their lifetime.

And you better watch out because there is only one antibiotic left to treat gonorrhea. Straight people have been spreading the disease so far and so wide that it has grown immune to all treatments save one.

Won't be long now.

Therefore, using your brilliant logic, we should ban straight marriages, because heterosexuality is a sick and disgusting behavior that harms our society.

And you ignore the fact that married couples have a lower incidence of STDs.

Last edited:
Here's the deal, folks...if there were to be a huge push from polygamists for legal recognition of plural marriage (I'm not aware of any at the moment), those opposed must provide a societal harm in allowing them. Same goes for gay marriage.

I already did for polygamy an hour before your post.

i often see the argument or statement that those who oppose gay marriage are bigots etc...

Logic and reason are not your strong suit.

Don't worry, McDonalds is always hiring.

I already did for polygamy an hour before your post.

Saw that.

Only 1 antibiotic left to treat gonorrhea - UPI.com

Dr. Manjula Lusti-Narasimhan, of the WHO Department of Reproductive Health and Research, said several countries -- including Australia, France, Japan, Norway, Sweden and the United Kingdom -- are reporting cases of resistance to cephalosporin antibiotics, the last treatment option against gonorrhea.

An estimated 106 million people are infected each year with the sexually transmitted disease, Lusti-Narasimhan said.

Filthy, sick heteros!!!!

No. That is a slippery slope fallacy often used by bigots who hate homosexuals, as are their pathological attempts to equate homosexuality with pedophilia.

You cannot justify the legalization of a harmful activity by pointing to the legalization of one that is not. Homosexual marriage is not harmful, and therefore could not be used as justification for legalizing something that is.

[No, laws prohibiting polygamy have a rational basis, are applied to everyone equally, and are absent animus.

Laws prohibiting same-sex marriage, however, lack a rational basis, seek to exclude a specific class of persons from marriage law, and are motivated by animus alone on the part of the state.

This.

Polygamous societies are exclusively one man married to multiple women. Such societies are predominantly exploitive of women as a result. And the math inevitably leads to the availability of adult women becoming more and more scarce, with predation of female children into forced marriages frequently the outcome.

It is not exclusively men having more than one wife.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4yjrDSvze0]Multiple Husbands - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back