If you're against polygamy, are you a bigot?

i often see the argument or statement that those who oppose gay marriage are bigots etc...

so, if you oppose polygamy, does that make you a bigot?

That is a false analogy.

Personally, I think they should legalize polygamy. I see no real reason for it to be illegal.

However, there is no reason why a polygamist can't be happy only being married to one woman.

A gay man would never be happy being married to a woman. He has no sexual interest there.

I wouldn't have a problem with polygamy if women were also allowed to have multiple spouses.

I think it should be a federal law that all marriages, gay, straight, monogamous, polygamous, common-law, whatever require prenups.

i often see the argument or statement that those who oppose gay marriage are bigots etc...

That is a false analogy.

Personally, I think they should legalize polygamy. I see no real reason for it to be illegal.

However, there is no reason why a polygamist can't be happy only being married to one woman.

A gay man would never be happy being married to a woman. He has no sexual interest there.

it is not a false analogy as both types of marriages are outlawed in most states.

if you want to split hairs and say, that some states allow gay marriage, it still doesn't change the issue.

focus.

Don't forget that president Hussein's father was a bigamist alcoholic communist and democrats laughed it off.

And none of the males in the Romney clan..served in the United States Military.

In fact..given a choice..they fled the US. And when their adopted country Mexico, needed help, they fled.

Brave Sir Robin Romneys..

what about obama's clan?

Don't forget that president Hussein's father was a bigamist alcoholic communist and democrats laughed it off.

In fact..given a choice..they fled the US. And when their adopted country Mexico, needed help, they fled.

what about obama's clan?

WWII not count?

Man..you guys are tough.

How many Hussein relatives served in the (US) Military? Is there some double standard at work here?

Barack Obama's grandfather served in WWII.

You is owned.

Hussein's hippie mother's father served in the Military ( Hussein called his grandmother racist) and it gets Obama's family credit for serving in the Military? Surely you lefties are twisting logic into a pretzel. What about his communist bigamist alcoholic father who Barry claims he emulates?

That is a false analogy.

it is not a false analogy as both types of marriages are outlawed in most states.

if you want to split hairs and say, that some states allow gay marriage, it still doesn't change the issue.

focus.

There's no compelling reason to marry more than one person.

There is a reason to marry some of the same gender if you are gay. That's what you are attracted to.

People who oppose gay marriage do so because they hate Gay people. There simply is no other reason for it.

Polygamy... well, no one is really advocating to change those laws. Not seriously.

No, laws prohibiting polygamy have a rational basis, are applied to everyone equally, and are absent animus.

How does that argument not apply to same sex marriage?

Laws prohibiting same-sex marriage, however, lack a rational basis, seek to exclude a specific class of persons from marriage law, and are motivated by animus alone on the part of the state.

How does that argument not apply to laws against bigamy or polygamy?

No, laws prohibiting polygamy have a rational basis, are applied to everyone equally, and are absent animus.

Laws prohibiting same-sex marriage, however, lack a rational basis, seek to exclude a specific class of persons from marriage law, and are motivated by animus alone on the part of the state.

Polygamy was criminalized in the U.S. in response to the Mormon practice of it. That is arguably animus.

It is not arguable at all, it is animus.

Yep.

I am against ritual human and animal sacrifice as well. And anything that has anything to do with sex with underage children.

Just call me Archie Bunker.

Because polygamy always leads to animal sacrifice.

I wouldn't have a problem with polygamy if women were also allowed to have multiple spouses.

I think it should be a federal law that all marriages, gay, straight, monogamous, polygamous, common-law, whatever require prenups.

I think you are whacko.

Yes, unless you can make an argument against the legal recognition of polygamous marriages that is based on something other than your personal prejudice against them.

There's no compelling reason to marry more than one person.

There is no compelling reason to marry anyone unless someone is holding a gun on you.

There is a reason to marry some of the same gender if you are gay. That's what you are attracted to.

Some people are attracted to more than one person. If you are poly-amorous or bisexual, that is what you are attracted to.

People who oppose gay marriage do so because they hate Gay people. There simply is no other reason for it.

People who oppose polygamy hate Muslims, there is simply no other reason for it.

Polygamy... well, no one is really advocating to change those laws. Not seriously.

It is legal in the Netherlands, yet no one is seriously advocating it. How does that work in your world? What about the fact that Islamic countries allow it? Does your brain engage at all before you post?

Legally... No.

Morally... Yes.

interesting

why not legally
Honestly I have no idea why the federal or state government would feel the need to sanction anything. It really shouldn't have anything to do with it.

and why morally?
You either have the freedom to marry who you want to, or you don't. In most of the US you don't. If you feel you have the right to marry who you want to, then obviously you are a hypocrite/bigot if you don't allow others that same thing.

most people who believe something is morally right, want it to be legal.
Those people are a major part of what's wrong with the country.

By all means promote your beliefs. I absolutely stand behind that. Yell it from the mountain tops that gay marriage is wrong, polygamy is wrong, whatever... That's freedom of speech. Love that.

But we also have freedom of religion. If a church, started 5 minutes or 500 years ago, says that two men or women can marry... Then damnit they are married after they meet whatever qualifications that religion says they have to meet to be married. And all rights and privileges there of entitled to a marriage just as any other religion and/or parties involved expects from the government.

I can see the government saying it has to be between two humans, and they are subject to all other laws... But... Other than that.

Last edited:

Yes, unless you can make an argument against the legal recognition of polygamous marriages that is based on something other than your personal prejudice against them.

I can make a case against same sex marriage based on something other than my prejudice. It is actually pretty easy since I am not prejudiced.

Forum List

Back