If you're against polygamy, are you a bigot?

I am not against polygamy unless the Lord commands against it. He currently is commanding against it, so I am opposed to it. Should He feel the need to command it again, I will have no problem with it.

I find it far less horrible than many current societal practices. For example, which is better, a man married four women, takes care of all their children? Or a man knocks up four women, and runs away failing to provide any support for anyone?

One is perfectly legal and one isn't.

i often see the argument or statement that those who oppose gay marriage are bigots etc...

so, if you oppose polygamy, does that make you a bigot?

Yes, unless you can make an argument against the legal recognition of polygamous marriages that is based on something other than your personal prejudice against them.

I can make a case against same sex marriage based on something other than my prejudice. It is actually pretty easy since I am not prejudiced.

Then do it.

I am not against polygamy unless the Lord commands against it. He currently is commanding against it, so I am opposed to it. Should He feel the need to command it again, I will have no problem with it.

I find it far less horrible than many current societal practices. For example, which is better, a man married four women, takes care of all their children? Or a man knocks up four women, and runs away failing to provide any support for anyone?

The Mormon God did not command against polygamy until late in the 19th century, when supposedly he changed his mind.

Is it plausible that God would change his mind on his own word, based on secular events on Earth?

Most of HIV and Aids is within the homosexual community. It is a sick and disgusting behavior that harms our society.

So the encouragement of an institution that at least in its ideals promotes monogamy is somehow complicit with the spread of HIV?

Isn't monogamy a reasonably good barrier to the spread of HIV?

Yes, unless you can make an argument against the legal recognition of polygamous marriages that is based on something other than your personal prejudice against them.

I can make a case against same sex marriage based on something other than my prejudice. It is actually pretty easy since I am not prejudiced.

Then do it.

I oppose all marriage, especially government sanctioned marriage.

The Mormon God did not command against polygamy until late in the 19th century, when supposedly he changed his mind.

Is it plausible that God would change his mind on his own word, based on secular events on Earth?

God commands and revokes commands according to His purposes and pleasure. He commanded Noah to build an ark. Abraham was not given that Commandments. He commanded Abraham to circumcize faithful males. That commandment was revoked in the Merdian of Time. He commanded the Israelites at the Time of Moses to follow the Law of Moses. After the Resurrection, we are no longer bound by that law. He commanded Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, and then revoked that command after Abraham proved He would be obedient.

Sometimes He commands us to testify. Other days He commands us not to speak.

It isn't about changing one's mind. It's about different needs in different times for different people. That's why it's important to recieve the Gift of the Holy Ghost and have access to the Revelations of God to the world, the Church, and in our personal lives.

Then do it.

That's cute.

But let's take a journey to the real world, where we know that legal, 'government sanctioned' marriage is here and not going anywhere soon.

In the real world, do you oppose same sex marriage, or do you support same sex marriage as long as opposite sex marriage is going to be legal?

God commands and revokes commands according to His purposes and pleasure. He commanded Noah to build an ark. Abraham was not given that Commandments. He commanded Abraham to circumcize faithful males. That commandment was revoked in the Merdian of Time. He commanded the Israelites at the Time of Moses to follow the Law of Moses. After the Resurrection, we are no longer bound by that law. He commanded Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, and then revoked that command after Abraham proved He would be obedient.

It isn't about changing one's mind. It's about different needs in different times for different people. That's why it's important to recieve the Gift of the Holy Ghost and have access to the Revelations of God to the world, the Church, and in our personal lives.

Did God command the attackers on 9/11, or did they just make that up?

Did God command the attackers on 9/11, or did they just make that up?

Let me help you out.

Osama bin Ladin: Allah has ordered us to glorify the truth and to defend Muslim land, especially the Arab peninsula ... against the unbelievers.

9/11 Intelligence Report

This is an example of religious dogma, it is not rational, it has no basis in fact, and it is also undocumented, subjective, and Constitutionally irrelevant.

Then do it.

That's cute.

But let's take a journey to the real world, where we know that legal, 'government sanctioned' marriage is here and not going anywhere soon.

In the real world, do you oppose same sex marriage, or do you support same sex marriage as long as opposite sex marriage is going to be legal?

in order for me to know that I would have to know that it is completely hopeless to reform the government. I don't know that.

And this makes no sense.

The states write the marriage laws, the law is administered in their courts; marriage is contract law, subject to state regulation.

I oppose the states telling people who they can, and cannot, have sex with. Why does that not make sense?
I don't like you.

But frankly there was nothing wrong with your first post that he said it didn't make sense. If I may, feel free to correct me.

State/Federal government should be able to sanction unions. That is two people entering some sort of social contract that receives legal benefits.

Marriage is a sanctioned union. But marriage is also a religious construct that is wrongly supported by a government that has freedom of religion. Therefor I oppose, and I assume you do as well, any government sanctioning marriage. Unions between people yes... Marriages no.

The ideal American family is a marriage of 20-30 people in both heterosexual and homosexual marriage.

Jerry Brown recently experienced a rare moment of sanity and vetoed a law that would have given children multiple legal parents.

The ideal American family is a marriage of 20-30 people in both heterosexual and homosexual marriage.

Jerry Brown recently experienced a rare moment of sanity and vetoed a law that would have given children multiple legal parents.
I have no idea where that came from in relation to this thread or why it's relevant in any way.

And this makes no sense.

The states write the marriage laws, the law is administered in their courts; marriage is contract law, subject to state regulation.

I oppose the states telling people who they can, and cannot, have sex with. Why does that not make sense?
I don't like you.

But frankly there was nothing wrong with your first post that he said it didn't make sense. If I may, feel free to correct me.

State/Federal government should be able to sanction unions. That is two people entering some sort of social contract that receives legal benefits.

Marriage is a sanctioned union. But marriage is also a religious construct that is wrongly supported by a government that has freedom of religion. Therefor I oppose, and I assume you do as well, any government sanctioning marriage. Unions between people yes... Marriages no.

Not quite.

I don't think government should use taxes to influence social policy. I see some advantages to the government setting up laws to protect the interests of children, but most marriage laws are historically built on the idea that women cannot provide for themselves without a man. The laws are a little more balanced now, but there really should be no financial support for either partner unless their are children involved.

As far as religion, I am a but of a heretic, I don't think the church should have any say in who gets married either. If a couple wants to say they are married, they are, and the church has no more business endorsing that than the state does. The only thing people need permission from the church for is to have a church wedding, which is more about social protocol than religion.

Forum List

Back