how much do you tip?

Yea I posted this thread because I knew you were a regular here, I used to make fun of one of your countrymen on this topic when I was a regular on another forum. he couldnt believe the waitress here was only paid $2.36 (or what ever it is now) an hour. I kept trying to tell him a good waitress like my first wife would bring home somtimes more then I did in a week with overtime. I remember a few times she brought home $400 or more in one DAY.

they make 10.55 and hour plus tips here. Some of them, the ones who are pleasant and give good service can go home with $600-1000 a night.... cash. And you know damn right well they are not paying tax on it either.

So how is that fair when they don't pay tax on their tips, but others who work hard for a decent wage are forced to?

they have to pay tax on any tip that comes on a credit card.... the rest is grave in their pockets.

They are "supposed" to declare their tips.... but they dont. All they have to say is that they were stiffed. I never leave a cash tip.

Yes, I do, an over here they are PAID to do just that. No tipping, but a decent wage to get my food and provide decent service.

If you are fine with just 'decent,' then that is your stigma. But you'd have to wonder out of the Top 10 of the Top 50 best restaurants in the world, why an Aussie restaurant is not listed among them, or in the top 20 for that matter.

The point of eating out at a restaurant is so you can have a great experience. After all, restaurants do charge you for the atmosphere. If you just want 'decent' food, you can eat at home, or at a fast food joint.

They're paid to serve you. How well they serve you is up to you. You would be better off wearing a sign which says, "I don't tip well," so they won't have to waste their time.

wrong.

they are paid to serve you
their job is to serve you
they are paid to be pleasant and efficient.

tipping is optional.

The job entails being pleasant and efficient. How well they meet these requirements can result in a tip. They're only paid to serve you. They're not obligated to teach you like royalty.

i disagree.... they ARE obligated to treat customers like royalty. That is what they are being paid for. their tips come from how well they do that.

That is why its called a service hospitality job.

So the waiter gets greedy and smells the money at another table? I detest greedy people.

I eat out alot and you'd be surprised at how often this happens. And what is greedy about it? You don't expect a server to wait on you hand and foot just for nothing, do you? If that is the case, you can wait outside for your own food and eat elsewhere.

The same concept applies with food deliverers. My colleagues are always complaining about their food arriving late, but it never dawns on people that delivery men keep track on where the best tippers are. I never have a problem with my food arriving late, because I tip well.

People always respond to incentives. It's just an economic reality.

lets see...

4 tables....lets say $100 a table. That is a $15 dollar tip plus wages. Is that waitress worth $70 dollars an hour?

now lets go to a more expensive place. 4 tables...say $300 a table. @15% that is a $45 a table. @20% its $60. Is carrying your food worth $320 plus wages an hour?

i disagree.... they ARE obligated to treat customers like royalty. That is what they are being paid for. their tips come from how well they do that.

That is why its called a service hospitality job.

That's what I'm saying. Tips come from how well servers serve you. It doesn't exactly mean that they are obligated to do it well enough. They can do it well enough so that you don't complain, and offer just enough so you leave at least something.

As I've said before, I get great service when I go to Apple Bee's, The Olive Garden and Friday's, but not when I go to CVS, Rite Aid and The Post Office. They're all service sector jobs. Why do I only get good service when I go to places where I am allowed to tip? It's because these individuals have an incentive to make more money, as oppose to these other professions where there is no such incentive. They have a job, and that is enough for them.

Last edited:

lets see...

4 tables....lets say $100 a table. That is a $15 dollar tip plus wages. Is that waitress worth $70 dollars an hour?

now lets go to a more expensive place. 4 tables...say $300 a table. @15% that is a $45 a table. @20% its $60. Is carrying your food worth $320 plus wages an hour?

I'd like to think that waiting tables is more than just bringing my food to me.

So the waiter gets greedy and smells the money at another table? I detest greedy people.

I eat out alot and you'd be surprised at how often this happens. And what is greedy about it? You don't expect a server to wait on you hand and foot just for nothing, do you? If that is the case, you can wait outside for your own food and eat elsewhere.

The same concept applies with food deliverers. My colleagues are always complaining about their food arriving late, but it never dawns on people that delivery men keep track on where the best tippers are. I never have a problem with my food arriving late, because I tip well.

People always respond to incentives. It's just an economic reality.

lets see...

Heck yea if she is cute, friendly and delivers it fast. I would rather her get that money then the dinosaurs at the local Dmv, or electric, hydraulic stores where I have to bring in a copy of War and Peace to read while I wait.

lets see...

i am not saying that it is JUST that. I am in the industry...and have zero sympathy for wait staff.

They expect tips....even when THEY are rude, slow and inattentive.

i am not saying that it is JUST that. I am in the industry...and have zero sympathy for wait staff.

They expect tips....even when THEY are rude, slow and inattentive. [/COLOR]

People should expect to get out what they put in. That's how life works.

i agree... and some servers deserve nothing at all in the way of a tip..... though the expect 15% regardless for crap service.

so the question is how much should you tip? ... the answer is however much you want or dont want to tip. That is why its called a tip. It is optional.

lets see...

But we have choices, not to go back or if we do ask for our favorite waiter/waitress.

i agree... and some servers deserve nothing at all in the way of a tip..... though the expect 15% regardless for crap service.

so the question is how much should you tip? ... the answer is however much you want or dont want to tip. That is why its called a tip. It is optional.

Never suggestion that it should be mandatory. I am saying there really isn't an incentive for servers to do their job well if they are getting a fixed income. Like I said, I go to convenience stores where I am not allowed to tip. No one is tending to my needs, the lines are always long, the cashiers don't cater to me and after my transaction is done the cashiers are going about their business in their own conversations. I bet this would change if I were allowed to tip these associates.

I try to make a habit out of tipping. Not because I can afford it, but because I don't see the harm in tipping someone who is working hard to service me. And the way I see it, they should work hard to service me. After all, I can always get the same type of food elsewhere.

But we have choices, not to go back or if we do ask for our favorite waiter/waitress.

i agree.... and we do. Serves us crappy once and we will never let them serves us again.

and we are huge tippers so most of them fight to serves us.

Never suggestion that it should be mandatory. I am saying there really isn't an incentive for servers to do their job well if they are getting a fixed income. Like I said, I go to convenience stores where I am not allowed to tip. No one is tending to my needs, the lines are always long, the cashiers don't cater to me and after my transaction is done the cashiers are going about their business in their own conversations. I bet this would change if I were allowed to tip these associates.

I try to make a habit out of tipping. Not because I can afford it, but because I don't see the harm in tipping someone who is working hard to service me. And the way I see it, they should work hard to service me. After all, I can always get the same type of food elsewhere.

as is said before

the incentive is having the job. There are plenty more servers out there willing to take the position.

i agree.... and we do. Serves us crappy once and we will never let them serves us again.

and we are huge tippers so most of them fight to serves us.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh, it is so hard to argue with you because of your avaitor pic. but you know exactly what sells because of it.

Years ago, the EX father-in-law took us all out to eat (the only time in 13 years he did so).
There was much discussion between him and his Mrs., after which he left $5 on the table for an $80 dinner. Very typical of that mofo.

I felt so bad that I went back the next day, found our waiter, and handed him a $20. Explained the situation (mentally unstable fuck in law, etc). The guy just about started crying.

Years ago, the EX father-in-law took us all out to eat (the only time in 13 years he did so).
There was much discussion between him and his Mrs., after which he left $5 on the table for an $80 dinner. Very typical of that mofo.

I felt so bad that I went back the next day, found our waiter, and handed him a $20. Explained the situation (mentally unstable fuck in law, etc). The guy just about started crying.

thank you thank you thank you for posting that.... I remember one time when I was like 10 years old and we were at a truck stop my dad was so ticked off at the waitress that he refused to give a tip. Unknown to him I felt sorry for the way he treated her because at the time I didnt think it was her fault. I put down on the table all the money I had on me. I think it was a buck and a few pennies..

Forum List

Back