how much do you tip?

I dont get this tipping thing, why would you feel obliged to tip someone for doing what their paid to do?

They're paid to serve you. How well they serve you is up to you. You would be better off wearing a sign which says, "I don't tip well," so they won't have to waste their time.

wrong.

they are paid to serve you
their job is to serve you
they are paid to be pleasant and efficient.

tipping is optional.

Tipping should be optional - its crap that they get paid such a shit wage, but the public is not responsible for making up for those low wages.

I think I'm a terrible tipper when it comes to pizza delivery people.

Do they have the same pay scale that waitresses do?

I was a taxi cab driver for like 6 weeks "in between real jobs" I swear people are cheap on those guys. heck they get so mad at the meter. It was so funny sometimes I was only making like a dollar an hour after gas and the $75 dollar a day fee I had to pay to rent the cab in a 72 hour week. But it was a fun job, got to meet some strange folk's at 3 am. lol

The servers should be paid. By the employer. You, the public, should not be expected to pay the wages of a stranger.

Yea I posted this thread because I knew you were a regular here, I used to make fun of one of your countrymen on this topic when I was a regular on another forum. he couldnt believe the waitress here was only paid $2.36 (or what ever it is now) an hour. I kept trying to tell him a good waitress like my first wife would bring home somtimes more then I did in a week with overtime. I remember a few times she brought home $400 or more in one DAY.

they make 10.55 and hour plus tips here. Some of them, the ones who are pleasant and give good service can go home with $600-1000 a night.... cash. And you know damn right well they are not paying tax on it either.

So how is that fair when they don't pay tax on their tips, but others who work hard for a decent wage are forced to?

Yea I posted this thread because I knew you were a regular here, I used to make fun of one of your countrymen on this topic when I was a regular on another forum. he couldnt believe the waitress here was only paid $2.36 (or what ever it is now) an hour. I kept trying to tell him a good waitress like my first wife would bring home somtimes more then I did in a week with overtime. I remember a few times she brought home $400 or more in one DAY.

they make 10.55 and hour plus tips here. Some of them, the ones who are pleasant and give good service can go home with $600-1000 a night.... cash. And you know damn right well they are not paying tax on it either.

So how is that fair when they don't pay tax on their tips, but others who work hard for a decent wage are forced to?

Oh they pay taxes on tips here, but your right, they fib like heck on how much they make.

Last edited:
I dont get this tipping thing, why would you feel obliged to tip someone for doing what their paid to do?

They're paid to serve you. How well they serve you is up to you. You would be better off wearing a sign which says, "I don't tip well," so they won't have to waste their time.

wrong.

tipping is optional.

The job entails being pleasant and efficient. How well they meet these requirements can result in a tip. They're only paid to serve you. They're not obligated to teach you like royalty.

I was at my favorite restaurant today and my bill was $16.44. I had $19.00 on me and so the rest of it, $2.56, was all that I had for a tip. According to my calculator, 15% of $16.44 is like $2.47, so I guess that I was OK. I felt kind of bad about it though because normally I give them an even $3.00 for a tip. If I was able to give them more I would because the wait staff is always good to me when I am there and from what I have been told, they only get $2.13 an hour. :( :( :(

God bless you and them always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. When I leave a tip, I personally give it to the waiter person so that it is not stolen from them. Sadly I have heard of that happening when just leaving it on the table for them. :( :( :(

Last edited:
Most waitresses pay tax on their tips. Sure their are some who skim but most (that I've known) are diligent about it.

How diligent, exactly, is the question?

Depends on the restaurant.

How much the waitstaff is paid is often dependent on tips, because most states require the restaurant to cover the difference if you don't make a certain amount in tips. Also, depending on the place, waitresses have to divide and share tips with several people, so what's made is very out in the open.

So the waiter gets greedy and smells the money at another table? I detest greedy people.

I eat out alot and you'd be surprised at how often this happens. And what is greedy about it? You don't expect a server to wait on you hand and foot just for nothing, do you? If that is the case, you can wait outside for your own food and eat elsewhere.

The same concept applies with food deliverers. My colleagues are always complaining about their food arriving late, but it never dawns on people that delivery men keep track on where the best tippers are. I never have a problem with my food arriving late, because I tip well.

People always respond to incentives. It's just an economic reality.

Last edited:
P.S. When I leave a tip, I personally give it to the waiter person so that it is not stolen from them. Sadly I have heard of that happening when just leaving it on the table for them. :( :( :(

I never have this problem. I usually pay with a card. But then I have to worry about the waiter stealing my identity.

So the waiter gets greedy and smells the money at another table? I detest greedy people.

I eat out alot and you'd be surprised at how often this happens. And what is greedy about it? You don't expect a server to wait on you hand and foot just for nothing, do you? If that is the case, you can wait outside for your own food and eat elsewhere.

The same concept applies with food deliverers. My colleagues are always complaining about their food arriving late, but it never dawns on people that delivery men keep track on where the best tippers are. I never have a problem with my food arriving late, because I tip well.

Yes, I do, an over here they are PAID to do just that. No tipping, but a decent wage to get my food and provide decent service.

guess their had to be a topic on here before like this....just ate a single diiner the bill was $22.50 gave her $40 bucks and told her to keep the change... I am a 48 year old single guy now. thats just me... how much do you tip? and do you lean left or right? just curious......

Depending upon my experience with the server....15 to 20%. If I have had wine, then 20 to 40%. lol

There is an etiquette to tipping, for those who care and that is, it shows just as much social ignorance to over tip as it does to under tip. I don't think there is a server in the world who would care about that kind of etiquette...:lmao:

I am a conservative, and by nature, very generous when it comes to giving anything, regardless of rulz...:D

the problem comes when servers expect a tip for crap service.

wrong.

tipping is optional.

Tipping should be optional - its crap that they get paid such a shit wage, but the public is not responsible for making up for those low wages.

they dont get a shit wage here. They get paid the highest minimum wage in the country.

Yes, I do, an over here they are PAID to do just that. No tipping, but a decent wage to get my food and provide decent service.

But we get great service over here when they know we are big tipper's. I used to walk in a bar in Chicago during my drinking days, not say a word and the staff would run over to me with my budlight. Or down here in South Carolina, my favorite place to eat, know I love their chicken for lunch. I walk in and get it in like 3 minutes. I dont have to wait 20 minutes like the rest of the folks.

Forum List

Back