how much do you tip?

i agree... and some servers deserve nothing at all in the way of a tip..... though the expect 15% regardless for crap service.

so the question is how much should you tip? ... the answer is however much you want or dont want to tip. That is why its called a tip. It is optional.

Never suggestion that it should be mandatory. I am saying there really isn't an incentive for servers to do their job well if they are getting a fixed income. .

So no one in any industry has any incentive to do their job well unless an additional bribe is included? That's bullshit. If such an attitude is prevalent, it would explain why service has gone completely to shit in this country over the past 30 years or so.

i agree... and some servers deserve nothing at all in the way of a tip..... though the expect 15% regardless for crap service.

so the question is how much should you tip? ... the answer is however much you want or dont want to tip. That is why its called a tip. It is optional.

Never suggestion that it should be mandatory. I am saying there really isn't an incentive for servers to do their job well if they are getting a fixed income. .

So no one in any industry has any incentive to do their job well unless an additional bribe is included? That's bullshit. If such an attitude is prevalent, it would explain why service has gone completely to shit in this country over the past 30 years or so.

and thats how every one clever enough knows how to win. Their is other ways to even the score with out unions or lobbying D.C. you have to know how to work and hustle the game. it is a game you do know that right? '

I am black so stereotypically I don't tip. :). Never less than 20%. Ever.

even when the service is shit?

Yup because in the back of my mind, they would just say I am living the stereotype and I will not contribute to any of that. They would never see them as being shit, just me. Sad but that is the way I see it.

sucker.

prototype or not, you are rewarding then for bad behavior. How do you know they are not giving you bad service becasue you are black and then laughing their asses off at you for leaving a tip?

I am black so stereotypically I don't tip. :). Never less than 20%. Ever.

Yup because in the back of my mind, they would just say I am living the stereotype and I will not contribute to any of that. They would never see them as being shit, just me. Sad but that is the way I see it.

I'm trying to see some truth in this.

Provided that you are of back persuasion.

In which case, I see the truth of it.

Years ago, the EX father-in-law took us all out to eat (the only time in 13 years he did so).
There was much discussion between him and his Mrs., after which he left $5 on the table for an $80 dinner. Very typical of that mofo.

I felt so bad that I went back the next day, found our waiter, and handed him a $20. Explained the situation (mentally unstable fuck in law, etc). The guy just about started crying.

Why should the waiter get extra money from you when they get paid to do their job? It is not your problem if they don't earn enough money. The employer needs to pay them more.

they dont get a shit wage here. They get paid the highest minimum wage in the country.

Then why do they want tips?

Confessions of an Angry Waiter - TIME

^^interesting article about being a waiter:)

The guy sounds like a greedy son of a bitch. Throwing around a hamburger before giving it to a customer? Expecting tips and complaining when he didn't get one from a couple of ladies? Maybe his service sucked?
People refusing to wait on certain people because the tips are not big enough - that is just greed, pure and simple. Messing up a customer order because you don't like them? I never mess up a customer order on purpose - if they are rude to me, I will make them wait, but I will never mess their order up deliberately.

Waitresses make minimum cash wage of $2.13 an hour here.

That is bullshit. Give them a $10 an hour pay rise and they will work harder.

bullshit.

here they get $10.55 an hour and work NO harder for it.

and then they still think that they can work like slugs....and expect a 20% tip.

They shouldn't get tips if they are earning that much per hour.

they have to pay tax on any tip that comes on a credit card.... the rest is grave in their pockets.

They are "supposed" to declare their tips.... but they dont. All they have to say is that they were stiffed. I never leave a cash tip.

I bet they hate getting a credit card tip, lol.

4 tables....lets say $100 a table. That is a $15 dollar tip plus wages. Is that waitress worth $70 dollars an hour?

now lets go to a more expensive place. 4 tables...say $300 a table. @15% that is a $45 a table. @20% its $60. Is carrying your food worth $320 plus wages an hour?
[/COLOR]

If I paid for food that cost me $100, there is no way I am handing over another $15. I am paying for the food, nothing else.

Why should the waiter get extra money from you when they get paid to do their job? It is not your problem if they don't earn enough money. The employer needs to pay them more.

The employer does not have to pay them more. According to wage laws food servers, farm labor, and some other jobs pay about one-third minimum wage. The idea for wait staff is that they're actually working for the customer, not the restaurant.

It's grossly unfair, but there's little chance of the law being changed.

As for cashiers at convenience and drug stores, the top executives tell each store how many total employee hours can be worked. This often leaves the store short-staffed during peak hours. The cashiers usually are stocking shelves and helping customers find stuff, cleaning the store, handling phone calls from customers, making more pots of coffee or refilling the fountain drinks or putting out more sugar and creamers - and they eat lunch on their feet, there is no lunch hour. So they're often dead tired by the end of the day. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen cashiers crying.

Years ago, the EX father-in-law took us all out to eat (the only time in 13 years he did so).
There was much discussion between him and his Mrs., after which he left $5 on the table for an $80 dinner. Very typical of that mofo.

I felt so bad that I went back the next day, found our waiter, and handed him a $20. Explained the situation (mentally unstable fuck in law, etc). The guy just about started crying.

I think it's the nature of the food service industry. Employees are generally paid lower wages since tips are a part of their income. Tipping is a tradition that goes way back. At least in this country.

sucker.

prototype or not, you are rewarding then for bad behavior. How do you know they are not giving you bad service becasue you are black and then laughing their asses off at you for leaving a tip?

Because that is a hell of a gamble of their part. I never said how I do it was right but damn, that would be a gamble on their part.

Last edited:
they dont get a shit wage here. They get paid the highest minimum wage in the country.

Then why do they want tips?

Confessions of an Angry Waiter - TIME

^^interesting article about being a waiter:)

The guy sounds like a greedy son of a bitch. Throwing around a hamburger before giving it to a customer? Expecting tips and complaining when he didn't get one from a couple of ladies? Maybe his service sucked?
People refusing to wait on certain people because the tips are not big enough - that is just greed, pure and simple. Messing up a customer order because you don't like them? I never mess up a customer order on purpose - if they are rude to me, I will make them wait, but I will never mess their order up deliberately.

They shouldn't get tips if they are earning that much per hour.

they have to pay tax on any tip that comes on a credit card.... the rest is grave in their pockets.

They are "supposed" to declare their tips.... but they dont. All they have to say is that they were stiffed. I never leave a cash tip.

I bet they hate getting a credit card tip, lol.

4 tables....lets say $100 a table. That is a $15 dollar tip plus wages. Is that waitress worth $70 dollars an hour?

now lets go to a more expensive place. 4 tables...say $300 a table. @15% that is a $45 a table. @20% its $60. Is carrying your food worth $320 plus wages an hour?
[/COLOR]

If I paid for food that cost me $100, there is no way I am handing over another $15. I am paying for the food, nothing else.

Guess you have never been to Billy Bobs in texas. Or resteraunts in the U.S. like the old Le Francais in a poor suburb like Wheeling Illinois, that is where I got to chat a bit with Sabrina Duncan in the 80's
Le Francais - Wheeling - Le Francais French Restaurant Wheeling
Le Francais is back. This high class French eatery is more than just food. The atmosphere, the immaculate presentation of the cuisine and the perfectly executed appetizers, entrees and sauces.

I think it's the nature of the food service industry. Employees are generally paid lower wages since tips are a part of their income. Tipping is a tradition that goes way back. At least in this country.

Lower wages added with tips keeps the price of our restaurant and fast food costs down.
In Australia the price of a McDonald's single cheeseburger is 2.15. $2.00 when they run specials.
In America the price of a single cheeseburger is .89 cents and .99 for a double cheeseburger.
The Average hourly wage for a McDonald's worker here in America is around 7.63 to 7.85
They don't get tips because they are getting more that the average minimum wage.
In a Restaurant they get their hourly wage which on average is 2.13 plus tips that usually add up to anywhere from 7.25 to 10.00 or more an hour.

When I eat at a Restaurant I tip 20% unless the service is really bad then I tip 5 to 10%. If it is really lousy they get no tip at all.

Last edited:

Lower wages added with tips keeps the price of our restaurant and fast food costs down.
In Australia the price of a McDonald's single cheeseburger is 2.15. $2.00 when they run specials.
In America the price of a single cheeseburger is .89 cents and .99 for a double cheeseburger.
The Average hourly wage for a McDonald's worker here in America is around 7.63 to 7.85
They don't get tips because they are getting more that the average minimum wage.
In a Restaurant they get their hourly wage which on average is 2.13 plus tips that usually add up to anywhere from 7.25 to 10.00 or more an hour.

When I eat at a Restaurant I tip 20% unless the service is really bad then I tip 5 to 10%. If it is really lousy they get no tip at all.

And having cheap food is far more important than a hard working employee being paid a decent wage.

And having cheap food is far more important than a hard working employee being paid a decent wage.

You just already said that you don't care if someone works hard for you. You either want great service or you don't, but you can't have it both ways. Clearly, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
It is their JOB to serve me, whether I am a crap customer or not.

And how well they provide that service is up to you, whether you are a crap customer or not.

If your food arrives late, isn't exactly the way you want it or just taste funny, just know that it isn't because you are a crappy customer. The Waitress is just investing all of their energies waiting a table which is tipping well.

People respond to incentives. It's just that simple.

So, based on your comment, how does the waitress/waiter know in advance that you aren't a good tipper to have your food arrive late, not be the way you want it or just taste funny?

There is no rule regarding the % one tips
it used to be 10/15 % now they expect 18/25% and the food is more expensive .

depends on the service how much i tip they earn it its not a right .

i go to some places where the servers remembers my name and my drink and brings it as soon as i sit down they get 20/25 % the service makes the meal .

bad service always makes the meal lousy as well and i leave a small tip and rarely go back , plenty of eating places around dont need their bad service . its not how much you think they should earn , its not even how much you think you can afford, its just about how much the service is worth to you its just like any other commodity you buy if its not worth what you have to pay dont buy it .

Last edited:
I do not tip. I only eat out if I am on a date and I allow my dinner partner to take care of that. If I like the company I pay for the meal. If I do not like the company, I set my phone ring tone to go off when the bill comes and make believe I have an important call, take the "call" and make my apologies that I have to run and let the person I was having dinner with pay the whole enchilada. If the meal was good I snatch a menu on my way out and return to the restaurant with another dinner partner at a later date...:)

And...how do you spell D-E-A-D-B-E-A-T?????

Forum List

Back