Attorney says Trump team should NOT ask jury to bring charges down to misdemeanor

You almost got it right but not quite.

The payments are considered In kind campaign donations. This means they are indirect donations. Money spent to support the campaign but not actually donated to the campaign fund. Such spending counts towards the amount that an individual is allowed to donate. The payments were illegal because they exceeded the donation limit.

Coen used his own money to pay off Daniel's and others, not money from Trump's campaign.

Trump then allegedly used his company to repay Cohen, but had his accountants falsify the records to make the repayments look like payments for legal work that Cohen wasn't actually doing for the company. This becomes a felony if coupled with another crime. That other crime being conspiring to violate election finance laws by arranging for the illegal payoffs.
I hope you are stating the Dems side of things, because none of that happened according to the testimony in the trial.

This case should never even be handed to the jury, the state did not prove their case. It should be a "directed verdict" of not guilty.
Did anyone expect Mr Biden Enabler to do that?

it's so obvious

It would be up to the defense (Trump) to request a lesser included offense jury instruction, but that's a good question. IF the defense wants a jury instruction allowing the jury to find Trump did misdemeanor falsification of business records, but he only did it to hide his personal embarrassment and possible fear of Melania being embarrassed (-:, THEN the jury would have an off ramp from the State's documentary evidence tying Trump to repaying and even directing Cohen to influence an election (which is the felony part of the charge)

I'd guess Trump doesn't want that. He wants an acquittal or a conviction. And I don't think he's going to jail.

A misdemeanor becomes a felony in New York if it is used to cover up another crime.

Trump's falsifying of his business records was done to cover up the campaign election fraud by Cohen for Trump. The campaign election fraud was the payment to Stormy Daniels. The $130,000 was an in-kind contribution to Trump, directed to Daniels, which exceeds campaign finance limits.

Thus, felony.
The "other crime" is a federal crime over which NY has no jurisdiction in the first place, because it is a federal elections violation. It has been proved that Cohen paid Stormy Daniels with his own money. If Trump was repaying him for that, why did he pay him over three times that amount in legal fees. Also, who claimed that it was a campaign contribution? If it was related to the election, it would not have been reported until well after the election, which makes the impact on the election exactly zero!

I wish I understood a few more details about this case, but I am piecing together that it's a matter of falsifying business records--or not. What Daniels' testimony had to do with is anyone's guess...

Oh wait... Guessing not needed. . it was only there to make Trump look bad.

Then there is the issue of the statute of limitations, which I understand has passed.. so why would Trump cop to lesser charges?

At Point 1.57 the attorney says there is no proof of falsifying records.
/----/ The crooked Judge skuttles Trump's key witness.
Former President Trump’s legal team was slated to call on a former commissioner of the Federal Election Commission to testify in the NY v. Trump case, but the expert’s testimony was not heard after the presiding judge curbed the scope of what he could discuss before the jury.

"Judge Merchan has so restricted my testimony that defense has decided not to call me. Now, it’s elementary that the judge instructs the jury on the law, so I understand his reluctance," former FEC Commissioner Bradley Smith posted on X Monday.

"But the Federal Election Campaign Act is very complex. Even Antonin Scalia – a pretty smart guy, even you hate him – once said ‘this [campaign finance] law is so intricate that I can’t figure it out.’ Picture a jury in a product liability case trying to figure out if a complex machine was negligently designed, based only on a boilerplate recitation of the general definition of ‘negligence.’ They’d be lost without knowing technology & industry norms," he continued.

Did you know that the RIGGED NY court led by the inept NY judge denied the defense the opportunity to bring in an expert on election law? The former FEC Commissioner Bradley Smith was going to be called to explain that complex law to everyone, the so called judge nixed it. Law so complex even the SCOTUS struggles with it. Now some hack judge in NY will decide how to interpret that law for the jury. Wow just wow, the FIX is off the scale.

It would be up to the defense (Trump) to request a lesser included offense jury instruction, but that's a good question. IF the defense wants a jury instruction allowing the jury to find Trump did misdemeanor falsification of business records, but he only did it to hide his personal embarrassment and possible fear of Melania being embarrassed (-:, THEN the jury would have an off ramp from the State's documentary evidence tying Trump to repaying and even directing Cohen to influence an election (which is the felony part of the charge)

I'd guess Trump doesn't want that. He wants an acquittal or a conviction. And I don't think he's going to jail.
I still haven't gotten an answer as to (following)

1) why hitlery is not in jail

2) whyy bribum is not there also (he [alledgedly... right] stole Classified docs while a mere senator, not pres)

3) why it is OK for adam schiffty to LIE to Congress and the entire nation and the world but everyday people go to jail for lying to Congress!

yeh... I haven't gotten any answer to those Qs...

They're good ones, though...

Only Trump sins, apparently...

:rolleyes:

Did you know that the RIGGED NY court led by the inept NY judge denied the defense the opportunity to bring in an expert on election law? The former FEC Commissioner Bradley Smith was going to be called to explain that complex law to everyone, the so called judge nixed it. Law so complex even the SCOTUS struggles with it. Now some hack judge in NY will decide how to interpret that law for the jury. Wow just wow, the FIX is off the scale.
I did know this. But the thing is, long ago, the case became entirely REVERSIBLE due to the stupid, hack decisions of this alleged judge who should have recused himself.

Also, I think that if Trump ever seriously thought of getting on the stand, it was only to represent the R candidate in campaign mode... LOL

I mean, you have to admit, that would be a good podium AND very entertaining! LOL

But still, it would not be good for his case because... for one, you never know about juries...

2 letters: OJ

yeh...I believe it is called

"jury nullification"

I did know this. But the thing is, long ago, the case became entirely REVERSIBLE due to the stupid, hack decisions of this alleged judge who should have recused himself.

Also, I think that if Trump ever seriously thought of getting on the stand, it was only to represent the R candidate in campaign mode... LOL

I mean, you have to admit, that would be a good podium AND very entertaining! LOL

But still, it would not be good for his case because... for one, you never know about juries...

2 letters: OJ

yeh...I believe it is called

"jury nullification"
Incredibly, you have THUG Joe Biden smirking and cracking jokes about how he tied Trump up in court so he couldn't be out on the campaign trail. If you wanted to know how NASTY Democrats are, there you have it.

why was he even thinking of it?

It is almost ALWAYS bad for the defendant to take the stand. "Everything [they] say, can and WILL be used against [them]"--especially if "they" is Trump et al
He wasn't. He wants to continue to try to convince people he isn't allowed.

And if it isn't?
I will accept if all appeals allow such a verdict. I simply cannot see it as likely given the nature of the law itself and the fantastical methods used in this clown show.

If Trump is found not guilty, are liberals going to accept it or riot in the streets?

I will accept if all appeals allow such a verdict. I simply cannot see it as likely given the nature of the law itself and the fantastical methods used in this clown show.

If Trump is found not guilty, are liberals going to accept it or riot in the streets?
Lol rioting over something like this. Bigger fish to fry in future trump trials.

Incredibly, you have THUG Joe Biden smirking and cracking jokes about how he tied Trump up in court so he couldn't be out on the campaign trail. If you wanted to know how NASTY Democrats are, there you have it.
ha ha... I've known that for decades now, but it's never been as bad as with these lying, bogus cases against the R candidate.. I guess the left really thought America would be impressed with all these cases... they think Americans are too dumb to see how political they are... They count on dumb people all the time.. They'd have no one to vote for them if not for the dumb ones..

Anyhow, where was I? yeh. I saw that stupid joke he said, probably fed into his ear piece by obummer or maybe Satan..

I know: What's the difference?

God needs to go Old Testament again... LOL

ha ha... I've known that for decades now, but it's never been as bad as with these lying, bogus cases against the R candidate.. I guess the left really thought America would be impressed with all these cases... they think Americans are too dumb to see how political they are... They count on dumb people all the time.. They'd have no one to vote for them if not for the dumb ones..

Anyhow, where was I? yeh. I saw that stupid joke he said, probably fed into his ear piece by obummer or maybe Satan..

That would mean God would kill you.

There's no dirty nasty trick Democrat won't pull to RIG an election.

The "other crime" is a federal crime over which NY has no jurisdiction in the first place, because it is a federal elections violation. It has been proved that Cohen paid Stormy Daniels with his own money. If Trump was repaying him for that, why did he pay him over three times that amount in legal fees. Also, who claimed that it was a campaign contribution? If it was related to the election, it would not have been reported until well after the election, which makes the impact on the election exactly zero!
You on the same drug Biden took for the SOTU? <g>

You're on the ball today!

Forum List

Back