How many of you guys were born Christians? How many converted to Christianity?

]
OK, you can't rebut one point because it's true. Scripture proves my point. Take your beef up with Him.
Don't feel bad, most Catholics are duped and don't know Scripture either.
You have ignored every meaningful question I've suggested.

I'm through discussing your straw men and constantly trying to redirect the discussion to a place of truth and reality. You know nothing about Catholicism, and the only thing you appear to know about scripture is how to cut and paste.

If you ever gain enough maturity to let go of your erroneous preconceptions, perhaps we can try this again. In the meantime, have fun playing in the straw. It's not for me.
1 Peter 3:15-16
But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.

What I was trying to get across to you. Know why you have faith. And if something your church says or does is not supported by Scripture, find another church.
nice post

Depends..................if you're born to a family that is fanatical about their religion, you can bet they are going to force it on you, so therefore, you CAN be "born" into a religion.

Atheists and agnostics don't have that problem. They let their kids make up their own minds.

Not necessarily true. I know plenty of devout Catholic and Christian families who let their children do what they want and think independently.

What I was trying to get across to you. Know why you have faith. And if something your church says or does is not supported by Scripture, find another church.

You steadfastly refuse to accept that the teachings by the Catholic Church are supported by scripture--or, even that I know why I have faith. This being the case, I determined we do not have a starting point for a meaningful discussion. Nor did I receive a response to my question of how you define salvation. That could have been a second launching point for a discussion. Your interest was in exchanging copy and paste scripture quotes. I explained I have no interest in playing scripture poker.

I was born Roman Catholic. I credit them for now making me an atheist.
Ditto. Except that I became a devout agnostic. Why would anyone want to believe in devils with pitch forks for eternity just because you ate meat on a Friday? Oh, yeah! I forgot. God came down from the heavens and told the Pope to change that rule. I wonder if the devils with pitch forks got the memo and release all of those who've already been burning in hell these past 2 thousand and 16 years? Ya' think they're still sweating it out down there? After all, if eating meat on a Friday has been down-graded from a mortal sin to a venial sin then they probably burned enough already, right? Actually hell is probably warmer than Purgatory so they should at least been give a few credit chits to use at the celestial candy shop.

I was born Roman Catholic. I credit them for now making me an atheist.
Ditto. Except that I became a devout agnostic. Why would anyone want to believe in devils with pitch forks for eternity just because you ate meat on a Friday? Oh, yeah! I forgot. God came down from the heavens and told the Pope to change that rule. I wonder if the devils with pitch forks got the memo and release all of those who've already been burning in hell these past 2 thousand and 16 years? Ya' think they're still sweating it out down there? After all, if eating meat on a Friday has been down-graded from a mortal sin to a venial sin then they probably burned enough already, right? Actually hell is probably warmer than Purgatory so they should at least been give a few credit chits to use at the celestial candy shop.

Mortal sin was never as simple as eating meat on Friday. To be a mortal sin, three criteria are in play. One must know it is a grave rebellion against God. One must willingly and with full consent commit the act as a rebellion against God. Fasting/not eating meat on Fridays was a Church discipline, a practice in obedience and a coming together in unity with the poor. Back in the day, the poor could rarely afford meat--that was a meal for the well-to-do. The point was to give up riches and give to the poor--to spend time walking hand-in-hand with them.

These things together put one in danger of mortal sin: Willing and consensual rebellion against God; selfishness of putting one's own pleasure before the great need of others; putting oneself above the plight of the poor was the mortal sin. There was no sin in simple forgetfulness--or not having anything else in the fridge.

Mortal sin was never as simple as eating meat on Friday. To be a mortal sin, three criteria are in play. .......
Let me stop you right there. Eating meat on a Friday was a MORTAL SIN. So said the Catholic Church. Period. I have no interest in debating anything beyond that. If you are a Catholic, you either are or you are not. You don't get to choose or debate the issue with God. As a matter of fact, you're not even allowed to 'speak' with God ... that's something only the privileged Jews can do. They are light years ahead of the Catholics. The Catholics don't even have a Talmud!

Mortal sin was never as simple as eating meat on Friday. To be a mortal sin, three criteria are in play. .......
Let me stop you right there. Eating meat on a Friday was a MORTAL SIN. So said the Catholic Church. Period. I have no interest in debating anything beyond that. If you are a Catholic, you either are or you are not. You don't get to choose or debate the issue with God. As a matter of fact, you're not even allowed to 'speak' with God ... that's something only the privileged Jews can do. They are light years ahead of the Catholics. The Catholics don't even have a Talmud!

Can't stop truth, and the truth is we cannot address eating meat on Friday without first addressing what is--and what is not--a mortal sin. Catholics speak to God. Always have, always will. I can testify that not only does God listen, He responds.

Can't stop truth, and the truth is we cannot address eating meat on Friday without first addressing what is--and what is not--a mortal sin. Catholics speak to God. Always have, always will. I can testify that not only does God listen, He responds.

Oh really? Thats very interesting. I heard that God hides his face from those who set aside the divine commands and teach others to do the same. But here you are an admitted idolator who claims that God responds to him..This is extraordinary!

What did God tell you? What words have you ever heard from God in your entire life?Was it in a dream or vision? What were the attending signs? What did God tell you to tell people that would convince them that God is with you and has spoken to you?

:popcorn:

70% of Christians were born Christian, 30% were converts | Global Broadcasting Corporation (link to survey)
According to a popular research survery, 70% of Christians are born into Christianity, while the remaining 30% were converts.

Which one are you?

christ.gif

you're aware there are other religions and people who have no religion, right?

So, you're not a Catholic after all. Why do you pretend?

So, you're not a Catholic after all. Why do you pretend?
Why do you say I am not Catholic?

Why do you say I am not Catholic?

Why? Because you no more meet the requirements of a Catholic than Jesus met the requirements of the Messiah. You are making up the rules to suit yourself and are not following the teachings of Catholicism. Either you belong to a sect ..... or you are trying to create one.

Why? Because you no more meet the requirements of a Catholic than Jesus met the requirements of the Messiah. You are making up the rules to suit yourself and are not following the teachings of Catholicism. Either you belong to a sect ..... or you are trying to create one.

What teaching do you claim I am not following? If you are speaking of not being allowed to speak to God, it is you who are in error. For example, look up Catholic teaching on public and private revelations.

What teaching do you claim I am not following? If you are speaking of not being allowed to speak to God, it is you who are in error. For example, look up Catholic teaching on public and private revelations.
You are only talking bull shit. I was raised a Catholic, and I even did 3 years of Catholic school. I know what I was taught. If you want to spew a ton of revisionist hog wash ..... tell it to the groveling pigs.

Oink_by_XpaulietheparrotX.gif

You are only talking bull shit. I was raised a Catholic, and I even did 3 years of Catholic school. I know what I was taught. If you want to spew a ton of revisionist hog wash ..... tell it to the groveling pigs.

I attended Catholic School through eighth grade; took classes in high school, did adult study classes/seminars and taught Catholic teenagers. I'm familiar with both the Catholic Catechism and the Catholic Encyclopedia.

You may know what you think you were taught as a child, but I know what the Church actually teaches. And, that is not what you think you learned.

I attended Catholic School through eighth grade; took classes in high school, did adult study classes/seminars and taught Catholic teenagers. I'm familiar with both the Catholic Catechism and the Catholic Encyclopedia.

You may know what you think you were taught as a child, but I know what the Church actually teaches. And, that is not what you think you learned.

You know, I've seen Christians of various denominations argue over whose interpretation of the Bible was "right" based on their various dogmas, but this is a first.......................I've NEVER seen 2 Catholics argue over who is right about being Catholic.

You know, I've seen Christians of various denominations argue over whose interpretation of the Bible was "right" based on their various dogmas, but this is a first.......................I've NEVER seen 2 Catholics argue over who is right about being Catholic.

It's actually more common than one might think. Notice Glastnost said he was born Catholic, but is now Agnostic. He had three years of Catholic education when he was a child. Former Catholics with only a child's understanding of the faith often have a different perspective than when faith formation continues or takes place as an adult.

It's actually more common than one might think. Notice Glastnost said he was born Catholic, but is now Agnostic. He had three years of Catholic education when he was a child. Former Catholics with only a child's understanding of the faith often have a different perspective than when faith formation continues or takes place as an adult.

Now, we have one Catholic justifying why their views of Catholicism are better than the views of the other Catholic.

Kinda like when an Episcopalian tries to tell a Lutheran why they are wrong in their interpretation of the Bible, and then using their dogma to justify why they are "better" or more "righteous" than the other.

Forum List

Back