Zone1 Ed Dwight was to be the first Black astronaut. At 90, he’s finally getting his due

Correct, he has 9000 hours over his entire life. I am sitting on 11,000 hours over 60 years of flying.
Nine thousand lifetime hours is reasonable. But even that doesn’t put him on a level field with the seven actual qualifiers. Most of them were probably at five thousand hours or more in 1961.

It’s hard to believe that he accumulated nine thousand flight hours in six years. He didn’t even get his pilot license until 1955 and was put into consideration for astronaut in 1961. That’s an average of THIRTY ONE flight hours a week, or six and a quarter flight hours per day in a five day week. Those numbers don’t add up. He also didn’t complete test pilot school until 1961and was picked for astronaut school the same year.
I read the smithsonian report on the Ed Dwight. If you find some different information, then post it.

I read the smithsonian report on the Ed Dwight. If you find some different information, then post it.
Westwall posted that the 9,000 hours was a lifetime total. Which is certainly possible, over thirty flight hours a week for six years is impossible. For every military flight there are hours of briefings, pre-flight checks, post-flight checks and debriefs. Plus military pilots don’t fly every day.

Westwall posted that the 9,000 hours was a lifetime total. Which is certainly possible, over thirty flight hours a week for six years is impossible. For every military flight there are hours of briefings, pre-flight checks, post-flight checks and debriefs. Plus military pilots don’t fly every day.
That makes sense. But I believe the fact that he was a test pilot flying experimental aircraft at Edwards AFB certainly made him a qualified candidate for the astronaut program. And it is curious that the military won't release his astronaut training records.

That makes sense. But I believe the fact that he was a test pilot flying experimental aircraft at Edwards AFB certainly made him a qualified candidate for the astronaut program. And it is curious that the military won't release his astronaut training records.
Not releasing records is usually done to protect the individual.

The Navy refused to release Hultgreens reports till long after she died, and reading through them it is plain to see she was way out of her depth, and she sadly paid the price for the effort to push women into flight slots, no matter their skill levels.

Not releasing records is usually done to protect the individual.

The Navy refused to release Hultgreens reports till long after she died, and reading through them it is plain to see she was way out of her depth, and she sadly paid the price for the effort to push women into flight slots, no matter their skill levels.
That's interesting but I don't see how concealing Dwight's space training records protects him. I do think it speaks to the man's character that he isn't bitter about not being selected or the Racism he certainly endured both in the space program and in general.

That's interesting but I don't see how concealing Dwight's space training records protects him. I do think it speaks to the man's character that he isn't bitter about not being selected or the Racism he certainly endured both in the space program and in general.
If he didn't measure up for some reason.

At best he was a test pilot for weeks prior to being chosen. He graduated test pilot school the same year he was chosen. the other candidates had five to seven years as active test pilots. The example I used as him being a AAA baseball player competing with the members of the World Series winning team for an astronaut slot is very appropriate.

I think he was very aware that he wasn't as qualified as the other candidates. He seems to have used it as a springboard for a rewarding life. From my perspective nothing reduces your self-image as being given an award you didn't quality for.

I think he was very aware that he wasn't as qualified as the other candidates. He seems to have used it as a springboard for a rewarding life. From my perspective nothing reduces your self-image as being given an award you didn't quality for.
Your speculations on the man are as valid or invalid as mine. His background as a test pilot for experimental aircraft in mind certainly qualified him to enter the program. I think he is the sort of man that should be held up as a great example of an American.

Your speculations on the man are as valid or invalid as mine. His background as a test pilot for experimental aircraft in mind certainly qualified him to enter the program. I think he is the sort of man that should be held up as a great example of an American.
He graduated test pilot school the same year he was considered for the Mercury Seven. He had no background as a test pilot. At best he was one for a couple of months. The other candidates had multiple years as test pilots. It only takes a little effort to look them up, or you can just look at my post where I posted their years as test pilots and years of other flying experience.
I do agree that he should be held up as an example of a great American for his other accomplishments.

Forum List

Back